• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Riyoko Ikeda

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
Good morning. After year of reading ANN articles I decided to join this community. I hope I would be helpful to you.

This topic is dedicated to maybe the most underrated manga artist- Riyoko Ikeda. As I know none of her mangas were released in USA, and scanlation groups are not interested in translations, so many of the fans hare loose opportunity to get to know about her works. She is usually mentioned just as shoujo-ai's forerunner- what a pity!

I've interested in her works after I've seen Lady Oscar, Rose of the Versailles . I liked it so much that I've bought German release on DVD(it was the most expensive DVD I've ever bought!). History of the last years before the French revolution told by fictional guardian of Marie Antoinette-Lady Oscar, noble girl raised as a boy. Which her eyes we see all famous events of that time, and life of the queen- from girlish butterfly to proud and sensibly woman.
Manga was even better than anime adaptation. Every single picture is a masterpiece with lots of the carefully drown details. What really appeals to me is the way the people change through the years- from girls and boys to adults.
My next meeting with Ikeda was Claudine!-history of the girl who find herself as a boy. Short oneshot from beginning of XX century.

Last but not least Ten no hate Made -person who sold it to me didn't know what a treasure he sold. Three parts biography of Józef Poniatowski- polish commander, nephew of the last king of Poland. I was really surprised that she knew history of my country so good (on the last pages she even wrote about all the differences between her history and real life). Even the charcters look really like their portraits( just Tadeusz Kościuszko (yes, that from Saratoga and West Point) is more handsome Smile). Do we heave freanch on board? Did you have similar feelings reading Lady Oscar?

Unfortunately her second manga which has been adapted into anime Oniisama E is available only in Italian.

I don't believe that Orpheus No Mado, The Glory of Napoleon or Der Ring des Nibelungen are less interesting than previous ones. Unfortunately they all were published before the scanlation's era. It's rare to find non European artist who can show our history in such an interesting way with full blooded characters, great development of plot and relationships.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1