• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Only Movie Theater in Tokyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:53 am Reply with quote
I really hope that it does well,which I think it will since the love of animation over here is to the point that it gets a little scary at times but I will have to go and check this out on friday or saturday, will anyone else be there
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:24 pm Reply with quote
One word: w00t

Yes, it's a novelty theater, but I'm sure that for one screen, it'll make enough profits to stick around for at least a couple of years.
Depression

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I wish it would do well. But from what I know i would have to say that it would likely go bankrupt quiet quickly. There for i would have to agree with jfrog on this one. Speaking from a purely business view they wouldn't be able to make enough money to stay in business for long thus the owners would then take the finical burdened of supporting the theatre. Like that would happen. Laughing The reasons it won't do well

1) Projector equipment is f@*# expensive you can easily pay 10,000 us dollars on new projector equipment. Then it is easy broken if you don't know what you’re doing. Also you can't forget about any other cost of starting a new business i.e. advisement, purchasing a place, etc.

2) That even if it attracts a large enough audience which is unlikely to occur in a single screen theatre. They make no money from ticket sell. About 90% of what is charged for tickets is given to the distributor who also sets the minimum ticket cost for the movies. They can get away with that because it is their movie that they are loaning you. So the only way to make money is with the sells of popcorn, soda, and candy or other thing that the theatre may be selling.

3) Don’t forget that this won’t be the only theatre in Tokyo. So that this small single screen theatre will be competing with the much larger multiplexes theatres that have 10+ screens playing every movie twice. Where they to will also pick up on anything popular that will look to make money so they too will get anime movies.

So the theatre to stay alive would have to also offer something extra to the movie going audience. Such as selling anime merchandise, or offering dinner with the movie something that will set them more aside from other theatre other than that they only show anime movies which doesn't do much but limit there movie selection. Yet this is all speaking purely business. Who knows the owner could be a truly devoted anime fan, which won’t care about money and throw everything into the theatre. All of this does come from my five years of working at a movie theatre so I am not just making up facts as I go.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:39 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Which is why Shrek II had one of the best opening weekends of any movie, ever.

And I know that it's not just Japanese animation, but I still think its going to fail. Most animated movies are either direct-to-video or tie-ins to TV shows that are popular at the time, and those probably won't be shown there. And then even if you add in European animation and American animation (minus the 70's and late 90's Disney that everyone tries to forget), you still don't have enough to sustain a theater over the years.

Shrek is a different animal (no pun intended) altogether. I can't imagine a traditionally animated movie having the same opening weekend as Shrek 2.
If a restaurant that only servers spam is doing extremely well, why can't a movie theater that only shows anime be successful as well?
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Most of the people going to see Shrek II are not animation connoisseurs and don't care about different techniques. They only care that its funny. And Snow White and the Seven Dwarves made a hell of a lot of money for its time.

The reason a SPAM-only restaurant can do well is the same reason a pizza-only restaurant can do well. People eat the same food more times than they watch the same movie. Your analogy sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:50 pm Reply with quote
First of all it wasn't an anology and it didn't not suck. There are many reasons why Shrek 2 is successful. All I was saying is, sadly right now 2D animated movies don't make as much money on their opening weekend as CGI movies like Shrek 2 which one of the reason why Disney closed their 2D animation studio (though I still think it was a dumb idea).
I think that anime-only theater in Japan is not necessarily a bad idea. Only time will tell which one of us is right.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The reason CGI movies are doing so much better than 2D movies is because all the good writers and directors are working on CGI movies. That's going to change once the market gets flooded with terrible 3D movies trying to catch the Shrek/Pixar wave, and things will more or less go back to the way they were. Personally I'm glad that Disney closed their hand-drawn animation division. This means that there's lots of out of work animators that no longer have to answer to anyone, so we should be getting some kickass American animated movies soon. The guy who made Triplets of Belleville was a Disney exile, and there'll probably be more people following his example.

That said, I don't think the idea of an animation-only theater is necessarily a bad one. I just don't think it'll work until there's a much larger back catalogue of movies to choose from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Most of you are using your small-town movie theaters as a basis for your comparison as to whether or not such a theater can stay in business. In LA and New York there are plenty of arthouse theaters that cater to small clientel, and Tokyo falls under the same category. Considering Japan does have a far larger audience who will go see an animated film, the theater should do fine.
Rune

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of how long it lasts I think it is a great idea and I will go to it every chance I get even though I dont speak very much japaese. And many of my friends are going to be going so if nothing else this weekend will help keep them open for a while. Does anyone have the showing list for this weekend.
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Most of you are using your small-town movie theaters as a basis for your comparison as to whether or not such a theater can stay in business. In LA and New York there are plenty of arthouse theaters that cater to small clientel, and Tokyo falls under the same category. Considering Japan does have a far larger audience who will go see an animated film, the theater should do fine.

Arthouse theaters are able to survive because there's always another obscure foreign film that they can show. The problem here is that there really aren't that many animated movies in the world. So it's not a matter of how many people show up to any given showing, its a matter of when they start running out of movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2