• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Here are my choices.

Group D-17
Ashitaka, Princess Mononoke
vs.
Daisuke Aramaki, Ghost in the Shell franchise
vs.
Goh Sawutari, Godannar

Ashitaka, guide and comments, despite thinking that Goh would also deserve a honorable mention considering all the different challenges, external and internal, that he has to overcome.

Group D-18
Arika Yumemiya, My-Otome
vs.
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7

Hmm...this is a tough choice. Arika has a nice guide entry, showing her as a worthy hero with few issues beyond momentary distractions. Kikuchiyo has a decent heroic career and is quite capable of taking action when in counts, despite certain attitude problems which can be annoying, a little immature and even counter-productive. It could go either way, frankly, but right now...I'm voting for Arika going only with what I've read here and elsewhere.

Group D-19
Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Mahoro Ando, Mahoromatic franchise

Mahoro, mainly because reading over the last few posts has convinced me. Mustang, while not unheroic by any means, has a more spotty record to deal with.

Group D-20
Van Fanel, Escaflowne franchise
vs.
Kamina, Gurren Lagann

Kamina was not and will never be my favorite Gurren Lagann character, yet I do have to admit that his heroism was great and heavily influential within his own series. Van is alright and deserved to get here due to his own merits, it's just that they are not enough to win this one.

Group D-21
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Tohma, Fantastic Children

A good guide entry makes me want to see Tohma in action, honestly enough, but Simon is the one I'm more familiar with and it would be very hard to vote against him. While the exact nature of what he is willing to sacrifice is different from Kamina's, Simon is definitely superior as an overall character and as a hero in my book, so I do believe he should advance this time.

Group D-22
Honoka, The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye
vs.
Nagi Kirima, Boogiepop Phantom

Honoka would appear to be the better choice, being capable of great heroics while placing certain limitations on her own actions which make them even more admirable, going by the guide entries, despite Nagi's devotion to her cause.

Group D-23
Jimmy Kudo (aka Conan Edogawa), Case Closed/Detective Conan
vs.
Youko Nakajima, The Twelve Kingdoms

Youko displays greater growth in the face of comparatively harsher circumstances and becomes a true leader as a result, one capable of being quite heroic in her own right by the end of her character arc. While Conan is definitely a good contender, I don't think he has much to counter this, even though he does have strong sense of duty and justice.

Group D-24
Juna Ariyoshi, Arjuna
vs.
Yomiko Readman, Read or Die OVA

Juna, considering the nature of her responsibilities and what she is able to do for them. Still, while nowhere near that level, Yomiko's not bad. Even if Arjuna might not be the best series and Juna might not be the most interesting protagonist either, that doesn't really take away from her heroism.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Guess Maharo was a bit more heroic than I gave her credit for: I don't remember reading comments that described her heroics as well as some of these latest comments previously. Well, I guess I might as well vote change and give Maharo the vote over Mustang, though I think she's going to win regardless now.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for being late...busy me... -.-'

Anyway. I'm not going to argue for any characters really, because there's no point. I'll just put "barely" comments in for everyone...after I post FAST!

D-17
Ashitaka, Princess Mononoke
Aramaki Daisuke, Ghost in the Shell
Goh Saruwatari, Godannar

Ashitaka
It blows my mind that he's not sweeping this. Just because you hate the movie doesn't mean you have to discount the character. He blows the pants off Aramaki and surpasses Goh significantly enough to...I'llfinishinaminute!

D-18
Arika Yumemiya, My-Otome
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7

Kikuchiyo

D-19
Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist
Mahoro Ando, Mahoromatic

Mahoro

D-20
Van Fanel, Escaflowne
Kamina, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Kamina

D-21
Simon, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Tohma, Fantastic Children

Simon

D-22
Honoka, The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye
Nagi Kirima, Boogiepop Phantom

Honoka

D-23
Jimmy Kudo, Case Closed/Detective Conan
Yoko Nakajima, Twelve Kingdoms

Yoko

D-24
Juna Ariyoshi, Earth Maiden Arjuna
Yomiko Readman, R.O.D.

Yomiko
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Group D is now closed.

Final results can be found here. In the two closest matches, Juna held on for a narrow win despite a late surge by Yomiko, while Mahoro pulled ahead of Roy Mustang in the final few hours thanks in large part to a trio of late vote changes. On the other side, Yoko and Honoka both amassed 20+ vote margins out of 27 possible. Ashitaka and the GL duo also had big wins, while Kikuchiyo's victory over Arika was not as huge but still surprisingly decisive.

And that closes Round 2. I personally picked 27 of the 32 third-rounders right (although three of those misses were in Group D - ugh!) and have all of my Top 16 active in the minigame, so those near the top of the standings should FEAR MEEEE! Twisted Evil

Ahem. Anyway, the biggest surprise for me in the first two rounds was Lafiel not only losing, but actually getting soundly beaten, in the first round; I had her pegged for lasting until the third. I was also a bit surprised to see Clare struggle through successfully, Shurei Kou/Hong have to struggle, and Arika not put up more of a fight. But hey, this wouldn't be fun without a few surprises, right?

Anyway, next round should be up within a half-hour of this post. Please be sure to read the instructions, as video clips will be starting as well as a new voting requirement.

EDIT: Ugh, JesuOtaku slipped in right under the wire. I'll need a moment to update the final scores. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Anyway, next round should be up within a half-hour of this post. Please be sure to read the instructions, as video clips will be starting as well as a new voting requirement.

Let me guess; we have to provide reasons for our votes? Because that would make me sad.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And that closes Round 2. I personally picked 27 of the 32 third-rounders right (although three of those misses were in Group D - ugh!) and have all of my Top 16 active in the minigame, so those near the top of the standings should FEAR MEEEE! Twisted Evil

I can confirm that. Key and Mad_Scientist are currently the people to beat, with a potential 234 points total. Also, Olliff, with potentially 233. It may also be worth noting that DerekTheRed, despite being currently in a three-way tie for third, also has all of his potential picks still in the running, a distinction that only Derek, Key, and Olliff currently only have.

Detailed results will be up soon.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Ahem. Anyway, the biggest surprise for me in the first two rounds was Lafiel not only losing, but actually getting soundly beaten, in the first round; I had her pegged for lasting until the third. I was also a bit surprised to see Clare struggle through successfully, Shurei Kou/Hong have to struggle, and Arika not put up more of a fight. But hey, this wouldn't be fun without a few surprises, right?

Really, you got 3 misses in group D this round, or did I misunderstand? That's great news for me if not, because I botched group D so badly that it wasn't even possible for me to get more than 5/8 right anymore. I was expecting you to pull ahead now. But if you also missed 3, I'm definitely still in the lead, because no one else was close enough to do more than tie me Twisted Evil

I too was surprised that Shurei struggled so much. I was pleased that Clare made it as far as she did, but I wasn't surprised about it, because although she had some tough matches, she fortunately never faced any of the big seeds.

My biggest surprise I think was when Keiichi faced off against Vash and Shannon the group before last. It's not just the fact that Keiichi gave Vash a run for his money that surprised me, but also the fact that after tieing against Keiichi when they first faced each other, Shannon just dropped off completely.

EDIT:

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I can confirm that. Key and Mad_Scientist are currently the people to beat, with a potential 234 points total. Also, Olliff, with potentially 233. It may also be worth noting that DerekTheRed, despite being currently in a three-way tie for third, also has all of his potential picks still in the running, a distinction that only Derek, Key, and Olliff currently only have.

Detailed results will be up soon.

Ah, interesting. Of course, it's you and your "Hibiki is like Simon" posts that are the reason I don't have all my top 16 pics running! Razz

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Mon May 18, 2009 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Group A is now closed.

With this round, as in the past, we proudly present Video Clips! (For those who haven't played before, these are five minute clips showing the hero/heroine in full heroic mode.) ccdx has chosen a mostly excellent set of clips for this group, and either he or I have provided much-requested context descriptions where needed. Unlike in past tournaments, where the clip links were included in the match-up listings, the links and their associated contexts can be found in the individual Guide entries for each character. (This will make it simpler to keep all of the clips together for characters who survive into the late rounds.)

Also, please note that, since we are now down to only four matches per group, justifications for votes will now be required. These don't have to be lengthy or detailed; a single sentence giving a better reason than just "I like xxxx better" will suffice. Voting against someone just because you hate a particular director, series, or genre is strongly discouraged; remember, we're evaluating the characters here, not anything else.

And now, without further ado. . .

Group A-25
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin franchise

Winner: Kenshin
Total: 24-3

Group A-26
Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster
vs.
Clare, Claymore

Winner: Dr. Tenma
Total: 21-6

Group A-27
Goku, Dragonball franchise
vs.
Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth

Winner: Goku
Total: 17-10

Group A-28
Shu Maritani, Now and Then, Here and There
vs.
Usagi Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon), Sailor Moon

Winner: Shu
Total: 22-5

Last edited by Key on Mon May 25, 2009 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Brackets and mini-game scores updated at http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

I hope you enjoy the clips Smile
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Let me guess; we have to provide reasons for our votes? Because that would make me sad.

Oh, come on; it's four measly sentences per round. I know you're capable of writing much more than that. Wink

Anyway, my picks:

Group A-25
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.

Hakuoro has won commandingly the last two rounds, and has plenty of merits, but Kenshin ultimately has a greater heroic reputation. This one shouldn't be a blow-out, though.

Group A-26
vs.
Clare, Claymore

Damn, that's a strong clip for Dr. Tenma. Clare's clip is no slouch, either, as there are few things more heroic than laying your body on the line to stop a menace and protecting those who don't even like you much. As good a heroine as Clare makes, though, her motives are too often too personal for her to advance any further in this tournament. Besides, you have to respect a guy who follows his conscience even when it's not in his best interest to do so. Thus Tenma gets my vote.

Group A-27
vs.

Hikaru impressed me with that clip, but Goku is arguably the most iconic of all shonen action heroes, and he did go all out to save the entire planet with that face-down of Vegeta. Whatever other issues people have with him, that's got to be respected.

Group A-28
vs.

Usagi's is the one clip that doesn't do one of these characters any favors. Even without that, though, she stands little chance here. Shu has none of the detracting foibles that Usagi has and greater strengths. This clip, although representing one of his best action sequences, is only the tip of the iceberg for him. Next time we'll use one of the hard-hitting ones.
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.
Kenshin. I'm not too crazy about his past, however noble his present motivations may be, but for this round it's good enough.

Group A-26
vs.
Clare, Claymore
Absolutely Tenma. Ethical, brave, incorruptible, selfless, etc.

Group A-27
vs.
Goku. Both seem like epitomes of stock characters, but Goku, I think, had more to lose overall.

Group A-28
vs.
Shu. To be honest, I think the clip makes him look like a bit of a moron, but he's still far braver than Usagi.

On a side note, I'm very sad about Mustang losing. =/
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Sorry mad scientist. Apparently I'm not persuasive enough.

Results. If you're in the mini-game, you may want to check these, as I noticed an embarrassingly obvious mistake in between sending ccdx the scores and making this post. Surprisingly, the person who's final contender was just eliminated is theoretically still in the running for first place, but two other people aren't.

So, Mad_Scientist, Key, and Olliff hold onto the 1, 2, 3 positions. Despite Key's lament about missing 3 in the latest bracket, that's the high end of the scores for this round (there were a few who only missed 2), as the victory of Mahoro over Roy Mustang and Juna besting Yomiko Readman came as a surprise to nearly everyone (Aylinn was the only person to correctly pick Juna to move on, and no one expected Mahoro to win). Mow manages to pick up a spot and move into fourth, while abunai slips down to fifth. Just one point behind abunai, and two points shy of triple digits, Earth_Wyrm, dtm, and farichada are in a three-way tie for sixth.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
A25: Hakuoro
His clip impressed me more, strength and compassion.

A26: Dr. Tenma
I saw the first 3 seconds of Tenma's clip and went "oh yeah! this scene!" Man, was this a selfless act, sure, he spoiler[kinda saved the anti-christ], but you can't deny that he put aside all of his future prospects for this. Clare's scene failed to impress me more.

A27: Goku
I'm certainly more familiar with him for one. Sure, it's a well known fact that spoiler[the Dragon Balls are clearly deus ex machina to allow the afterlife to have a revolving door, which is why self sacrifices never work in that show, because they don't have to and if the first set of Dragon Balls don't work, they'll probably find another set somewhere], but you gotta admit, Goku fights to the bitter end and clearly pretends that spoiler[the afterlife doesn't have a two way entrance exit thing going on], so he is being pretty sincere about what he does.

A28: Shu
Doesn't appear to have the best strategy necessarily, but this clip convinces me he should move on through this round, not sure about next.

Off the voting topic: any other clips you need suggestions for? Some of us are probably about to get out of finals week (except me who is about to enter them) and we might have more time to find clips now.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.

Hakuoro because I think that he represents some what I think heroism is...doing things that you don't have to do because you know it's the right thing to do.

Group A-26
vs.
Clare, Claymore

Tenma because he did what was right, not what was politically expedient.

Group A-27
vs.

Sticking with Hikaru because, again, she's
Group A-28 what I think a hero is, someone who does something that they didn't have to do.

vs.

I have to show some love my girl here. Usagi may not be the brightest bulb in the box but she tries. She does the best that she can. Yes, she does cry. She does fail. But don't all heros have doubts? Don't all heros have the idea that they aren't good enough to protect the ones that they want to protect? Usagi DOES have those doubts but she works through them. Sometimes due to her friends and sometimes by herself through her own will.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
vs.

Kenshin Himura my vote is based on his reputation, besides I have seen Utawarerumono and I'm not impressed by Hakuoro's heroism very much.

Group A-26
vs.
Clare, Claymore

Dr. Kenzou Tenma It's a no-brainer. Tenma has too many heroic moments to vote against him.

Group A-27
vs.

Hikaru Shidou because she ultimately spoiler[saves and changes Cephiro]

Group A-28
vs.

Shu Maritani
It is three years since I have seen Now and Then, Here and There, but I remember Shu suffers many hardships.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 77