• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Macross DYRL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:

He also wanted Misa to be the captain. The only reason he didn't get his way on those points is because he wasn't the lead director at the time.

That said, DYRL is a masterpiece. I wish more anime could really put you on the edge of your seat like DYRL can.

Misa spoiler[is the captain of the SDF-2 Megaroad-01.] But in 2016 spoiler[her, Minmei, Hikaru, and the entire ship all disappear on their voyage toward the center of the galaxy.] I wish Kawamori would do a little more on that, but it seems he and Satelight can't output stuff as fast as Bandai and Sunrise can for Gundam.

Also, Arjuna can be enjoyed immensely if you turn off the sound. It's a huge shame the show basically turns into Ferngully while having some damn impressive visuals.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Macross:DYRL is a jewel of the Anime Movie crown, gourgeous animation that still holds up to the standards of Today, Kawamori might be more nuts than ever these days but in those days he had the magic touch.

I remember picking up the Celebrity for Kids version at a KB Toys (RIP) in the late 80's early 90's, and I was mesmerized byit, the dub sounded funny, and even the edited action had me glued to the sofa, I was able to follow it easyly thanks to my previous exposure to Robotech, i still have that tape and the uncut Best Video version somewhere at my parents home and seen the original version thru other means like almost everybody here.

The 80's were a golden age, the OVA market was born and movies could get a sizable butget for a great look.

I just hope that someday Big West, Tatsunoko and Harmony Gold can work out something to bring us this gem (and the rest of the Macross franchise) to the US.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Justin, thank you for writing a wonderful Macross:DYRL article.

DYRL has this great opening violin music where valkyries launch off to face the incoming aliens wave. Every time I hear that music, I don't know why but I get choked up.

I still love the ridiculously detailed animation drawings of the film. Few months ago, I watched NHK's BS Anime Yawa on Macross DYRL from Veoh.com. I was amazed by Ichiro Itano who explains how he came up with his famous "Itano Circus".

There is one thing that I liked, the ending. Years ago, I bought LD version of DVRL where movie's ending was edited together with Macross Flashback opening. And boy it was great.

I don't care about whole golden age stuff that some people here talks about because every generation believes that their childhood (including teen years) has the best movies.

Before we start analyzing about Shoji Kawamori, it would nice to read any interview of him from credible sources. So who has Animage issues from 2000 to 2001? I would love to read 5,000 words (10,000 characters in Japanese) interview about him.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
Lt. Roy Fokker,
it actually should be Major Roy Focker. He was directly addressed as shosa in the movie-dialogue, iirc.

the Fokker spelling is robotech's.

I'm almost positive that Roy Fokker was named after the Fokker airplanes, similar to the many EVA characters named after battleships and such.

Wikipedia entry on the Fokker line of planes.

Which, of course, would mean that-- GASP-- Carl Macek might have gotten one right!
nargun

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Also, Arjuna can be enjoyed immensely if you turn off the sound.

Youko Kanno's soundtrack is the best part of arjuna.

[and macross zero's soundtrack is probably the weakest of any macross, weaker even than dynamite seven].
Riss

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
The Unknown 24 wrote:

There was a uncut version of Macross: Do You Remember Love released in 1996 from Best Film and Video here in the USA, but due to all the commotion over copyrights with Harmony Gold it did not stay on the shelf long and is now out of print. Very rare and hard to find.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to pick up one of them at EB, or Electronics Boutique (now merged with Gamestop) one day when I just happened to stop in to browse, and saw it and couple other anime VHS tapes for pretty cheap. This one was just called Macross on the VHS case, and Superdimensional Fortress Macross on the tape. I loved it, and still do. It has some of my favorite Macross songs on it, too. I even got a copy of Flashback Smile

I'm so glad to see this one featured. It certainly is a classic, and a main factor in why I like the whole Macross series so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Also, Arjuna can be enjoyed immensely if you turn off the sound.

Youko Kanno's soundtrack is the best part of arjuna.

[and macross zero's soundtrack is probably the weakest of any macross, weaker even than dynamite seven].

Maybe I should have meant turn off the dialog, I do agree that the soundtrack was great. Again it's something the show did not deserve.
Riss

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
The Unknown 24 wrote:

There was a uncut version of Macross: Do You Remember Love released in 1996 from Best Film and Video here in the USA, but due to all the commotion over copyrights with Harmony Gold it did not stay on the shelf long and is now out of print. Very rare and hard to find.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to pick up one of them at EB, or Electronics Boutique (now merged with Gamestop) one day when I just happened to stop in to browse, and saw it and couple other anime VHS tapes for pretty cheap. This one was just called Macross on the VHS case, and Superdimensional Fortress Macross on the tape. I loved it, and still do. It has some of my favorite Macross songs on it, too. I even got a copy of Flashback Smile

I'm so glad to see this one featured. It certainly is a classic, and a main factor in why I like the whole Macross series so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Descent123

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I always wanted to own that terrible English dub on laserdisc. Maybe one day. Cool
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
DYRL is a phenomenal movie, but I have to agree, I found it works better as a companion/retelling movie, then a standalone product. You kind of need to know SDF-Macross to some extent to get some of the movies more subtle nuances (including the events preceding the start of the Movie which get completely glossed over)

Also, there are aspects of the movie that didn't quite sit well with me, the big glaring one being spoiler[Misa suddenly getting all domestic while on Earth. That just seemed to fly in the face of the character]

But everything else, the movie is sublime, the animation and art direction, unsurpassable. The fact that follow up Macross shows use DYRL as the cannon source of Space War 1 era mecha designs (over SDF-Macross's) is one of the more lasting cool things about DYRL.

I agree here. DYRL was always more of a love letter to the fans outside of an outright improvement. It is absolutely gorgeous, and one of the best examples of how great non-CG assisted animation can be. It's easily among the best retellking animes out there.

That said, it does suffer a bit on the character front. Lots of backstory is lost (particularly Misa's) and you have Hikaru's choice sort of reduced to a purely circumstantial basis spoiler[marooned with Misa under the assumption that Minmay could very well be dead.] Seeing the series fleshes it out [does the Riber flashback truly make any sense without knowledge. A lost love maybe, but as a fan, I know what it's all about.] I've also never quite understood why so many complain about pacing issues in the TV series. It all comes down to personal POVs I suppose, but I can't say I've ever noticed it myself. DYRL is definitely better suited to the short attention span crowd, but it's definitely missing a lot of what made the original so great (though I'm among the few that enjoyed the reconstruction episodes apparently).

DYRL is a great film, and a major part of what cemented the original Macross at number 2 on my list. I just always see the two going hand in hand, rather than "DYRL fixes eberything wrong with SDF:M" like some people apparently do. It's great on it's own, but In think it's a lot better to a fan.

Those interested in the HK dub might wish to know that someone did match it up to the remaster recently. He labeled it Clash of the Bionoids erroneously, not knowing that that was the name of the bastard son of the dub, not the dub itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shale

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Riss wrote:
The Unknown 24 wrote:

Yeah, I was lucky enough to pick up one of them at EB, or Electronics Boutique (now merged with Gamestop) one day when I just happened to stop in to browse, and saw it and couple other anime VHS tapes for pretty cheap. This one was just called Macross on the VHS case, and Superdimensional Fortress Macross on the tape. I loved it, and still do. It has some of my favorite Macross songs on it, too. I even got a copy of Flashback :)

That's the version i have, too. I didn't realize it had gotten rare - I picked it up from Amazon Marketplace on a whim a few years back, and it was going for under two bucks.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I for one have two DVDrips, one from BG/Bakawolf for a reduced grain/cleaned up, and one from Live-eviL for grain retention. They're both worth keeping.

I must add that the Bakawolf is the absolute worst copy of DYRL on the net outside of the old HK rips. The grain removal was so poorly done and overly aggressive as to outright remove fine detail from the movie. It's like Vaseline on the lens at times. The G_P release is by far the superior to it for a grain free version. It has some hardsubbed karaoke, but it doesn't remove the very point of the remaster like the B-G does. The B-G even steals it's script straight from the G_P ver1, complete with Macrossworld thanks and song errors that were fixed in v2. All they did was DNR the heck out of it and slap their names on someone else's work.

That said, the L-E version is the best for the remaster. Though I should point out that it also had a grain scrubbing as well. They just tried their best to be as non-destructive as possible. I'm a fan of grain, though DYRL really was swamped in it.

The NLA is the best for the Perfect Edition, pre-remaster. The remaster was rather lackluster. Mostly just a contrast/tint tweak with some color changes for continuity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Misa spoiler[is the captain of the SDF-2 Megaroad-01.] But in 2016 spoiler[her, Minmei, Hikaru, and the entire ship all disappear on their voyage toward the center of the galaxy.] I wish Kawamori would do a little more on that, but it seems he and Satelight can't output stuff as fast as Bandai and Sunrise can for Gundam.

At this point it seems like we should expect new Macross every 'anniversary' (if two instances can be called a 'trend'. Zero was the 20th Anniversary, Frontier was 25th). I personally pray that the 30th Anniversary will finally give us a series/OVA/Movie about just what happened to Megaroad 01.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
We already know what happened to it. As Kawamori put it, it was sucked into a black hole, all hands lost.

I love the original cast to death, but I just don't understand the obsession with the Megaroad-01. Their story was that of Space War 1 and it's aftermath. It's been told. Why does everything seem to have to be until the characters die of old age for people to feel it's concluded? They showed Max and Milia post 2012, and most people hate that series. Wink

Could more stories of Hikaru, Misa and Minmay be told? Probably. Are they actually needed. Not at all. the triangles over, and one member's passed away and another's not very likely to come onboard. I wouldn't even hold my breath for a manga. Though maybe Macross: The First might help a bit.

Greg Aubry wrote:

I'm almost positive that Roy Fokker was named after the Fokker airplanes, similar to the many EVA characters named after battleships and such.

Which, of course, would mean that-- GASP-- Carl Macek might have gotten one right!

I agree, however if memory serves, Harmony Gold specifically insisted that the spelling only be used for Robotech. I believe a lot of written material has it as a "c" as well. Same goes for "Minmei"
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Though maybe Macross: The First might help a bit.

What's this now? A planned Macross Manga or something?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7