• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is anyone watching the new Captain Harlock? Its really good

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:56 am Reply with quote
Yea, I refuse to spell it Herlock. Not a good translation. But as for this new anime thats being released now, I think it may be the best Matsumoto anime since the 80's. Rin Taro and Leiji Matsumoto are a hell of a team, and its great they're back together on a new Harlock show. Only seen half of the show yet, but I like how the story is building up and the characterization is excelent. Harlock is back to the brooding version of himself from the original show and I like that. The plot is also thickening quite nicely and I love that dark space opera type shit, which seems to be back in full form here. What are other people's thoughts on this show?
miu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:23 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I love that dark space opera

I haven't seen this series yet, but if by dark you mean new space opera sf like that by Vernor Vinge or Ian Banks then I'll definitely have to pick it up.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:09 am Reply with quote
Great series, although slow at some points (it picks up the pace in Vol.2) but the Noo plotline has me hooked! it's a perfect balance of Horror and Space opera overtures. The audio is 5.1. Dolby digital (sweeeeet!!) and the intro theme is cool too.

Thanks Geneon!! Cool
Desslar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:36 am Reply with quote
Why did those idiots at Geneon change the spelling to Herlock? He's been known as Harlock in the US for years. Is it a legal thing?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:51 am Reply with quote
Desslar wrote:
Why did those idiots at Geneon change the spelling to Herlock? He's been known as Harlock in the US for years. Is it a legal thing?

Most likely is a copyright thing. There's something similar with Lupin III; Geneon & FUNimation both use "Lupin III," while AnimEigo uses "Rupan III," and Manga Entertainment simply removed the Lupin name from the title altogether.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:54 am Reply with quote
No, its the Japanese's fault this time. Its just a butchered translation into English. Obviously, someone from that camp doens't know the difference between thier english vowel sounds. Its not a trade mark issue. I'm pretty sure Matsumoto was the first person to ever to trade mark the name Harlock. The Japanse have been using this screwy english spelling circa Harlock Saga, I believe. I dont' know if it goes earlier than that.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:16 am Reply with quote
Yup. In the extras for the first disc of this new series, they have the original uncut opening for the first episode with an orchestra tuning and it's shown as "Herlock" in the logo. The logo on the box really is the true logo, not some new Americanized one.

Kinda stupid, but you can't blame Geneon on this one. To me, it's still "Harlock".

Anyway, I'm enjoying what I see so far. It definitely has a different feel though what with all the digital animation and the weird storyline. I'm used to Harlock being a freedom fighter. Now he's fighting the supernatural?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
BTW, does Gun Frontier really have 43 episodes as it says on the Arcadia of My Youth DVD?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I find Vinge and Banks, more hard sf/space opera, where the opera equals mainly grand and epic in scope. Harlock's opera is more melodramatic and romantac in a little less of a realistic fashion than people like Brin, Vinge and others. The closest novel I can find in "space opera" to Harlock would be Dan Simmons' Hyperion novels, where the main character has a grand piano in his space ship, the main characters are pursuing there lofty idealistic dreams, and the power of love and spirit is not to be underratted.
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:45 am Reply with quote
Very Happy

Surpisingly, there are nicely done.

I now look forward to the releases of the Harlock, errr Herlock volumes although I think there may only be 13 episodes in total.
Does anyone know?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I'm pretty sure its a 13 episode series.
Mistress-Samwise

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:49 am Reply with quote
I'm interesting in seeing this series, but I have not gotten a proper introduction into anything Matsumoto (unfortunately). Do you recommend this for a first-time viewer?
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Well mistress Samwise, since I too live in your hometown, you know I will answer you straight!!!

And the answer is sure!

If you are a continuity buff, there is other previous matsumoto material out there and it would be ideal if you could see some of them first. Arcadia of my youth comes to mind. However, it looks like this stands on its own and from what I have seen so far, is very enjoyable.

Give it a shot and iof you really want to see some other material earlier, post back and we can all make some recommendations.

P.S. If you like matsumoto, Go check out the Daft Punk DVD. Great music from their last album PLUS Matsumoto art with a very cool story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1