• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Munto Anime to Get Theatrical Finale in Japan in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
While I don't particularly care for Munto, I would so love to see a Planetarian OVA.

That little game made me shed quite a few tears.

I absolutely agree with everything in this post. I tried watching Munto, but to call the first episode disjointed would be giving it too much credit. The pacing was awful.

I cried so much during Planetarian. I was completely bawling for about half an hour, wiping my tears trying to keep going. I'm actually quite shocked it hasn't got the OVA treatment.

If you ask me, KyoAni has been slacking, especially with the Munto TV series. As far as I'm concerned KyoAni basically slapped the first two OVAs together without changing anything AT ALL and gave it a touch up in the animation....which really disappointed me. I wanted to see something like what they did with Kanon 2006 remake, but no...KyoAni had to go ahead once again and butcher one of their first works. This series had the potential to be far better than any KyoAni work I've ever seen, and as much as I loved the series and concept, KyoAni fails yet again at making this series a masterpiece Rolling Eyes
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Whatever is this Planetarian thing everybody's talking about? The combination of robots and tragedy sounds up my alley somewhat, but I remain sceptical about whether I'd like a visual novel as much as I would a work of animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
fudge this really sux bad
rg4619

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
KyoAni is small so you really shouldn't expect a massive amount of stuff from them like some of the others who have 3 studios within them (eg. BONES).

KyoAni is pretty large. They have the same number of employees as Madhouse and J.C.Staff (~120), which makes them one of the largest anime studios around.

The difference is that on each project, they're probably doing a lot more in-house than the above companies. However, as we've seen, output is steadily increasing over time (which likely coincides with their expansion and evolution as a company).
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Whatever is this Planetarian thing everybody's talking about? The combination of robots and tragedy sounds up my alley somewhat, but I remain sceptical about whether I'd like a visual novel as much as I would a work of animation.

A story synopsis, courtesy of the folks responsible for the Planetarian fan translation project:
Quote:
The unceasing Rain──
The sealed city, abandoned 30 years ago after a sudden biochemical warhead strike.
The uninhabited ruins, ruled over only by autonomous battle drones.
The man came to this place, finding shelter inside a tall building as he grew exhausted, and there he came across a planetarium, a room that once filled the hearts of men with the wonders of all the stars in all the sky.
And there, he met a young woman whose name was Reverie.
A member of the planetarium's help staff who had continued to wait for customers for over 30 years; a broken robot──
Entreated by Reverie, he lost track of time as he repaired the nonfunctional planetarium projector.
The continuous Rain.
Those quiet days spent with Reverie.
A long-lost nostalgia that began to arise in the man's heart.
What will he think about this sky of manmade stars?
And what is the fate of this Reverie of a little planet?

Also, unlike their other works, Key refers to Planetarian as a "kinetic novel" - there are no choices or alternate routes, and the story is completely linear.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You really need to let the whole LOL EPIC thing go. You're killing the word repeatedly. Nothing KyoAni does is epic except maybe parts of FMP and Legend of the Galactic Haruhi. Epic IS NOT a synonym for good or awesome. I suggest you read several dictionary definitions before you continue to rape it.

TRUTH. Also, I agree with your assessment for the most part. I really do like their Key works, but FMP was outstanding too. I really wish they'd branch out.

I'm also a big fan of Munto, so I'm another bitter one about how the whole thing is being handled. Is it just me, though, or did Munto not really live up to their usual gorgeous standards? It looked kind of dated...I'm not sure if they were trying to look like the original Munto, or what. It's not a complaint, I still loved the series--so far. Just a curious observation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, they were mixing animations of OVA 1 and 2 with TV animation which is technically better than OVA1 due to being circa 2009. So parts did look dated. If they had redid the whole thing with TV animation then it would have looked more consistent and less dated. But most of their resources was prob with Clannad After Story. They are doing 5 projects simultaneously (Haruhi-chan, Churuya-san, Munto TV, Munto theatrical and Clannad) so they should be congratulated.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
So... what are they doing now? I like the story but I'm getting annoyed at how their is so little new material and how it's being released in such a weird way.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Well, they were mixing animations of OVA 1 and 2 with TV animation which is technically better than OVA1 due to being circa 2009. So parts did look dated. If they had redid the whole thing with TV animation then it would have looked more consistent and less dated. But most of their resources was prob with Clannad After Story. They are doing 5 projects simultaneously (Haruhi-chan, Churuya-san, Munto TV, Munto theatrical and Clannad) so they should be congratulated.

Haruhi and Churuya-san shouldn't even count...they were trying to merely "please" Haruhi fans who wanted their second season after not hearing a thing for a year now. As for Munto, the really slacked not just anime wise....they really needed this to be 24 episodes to have flushed out all the elements of the story. I was hoping for expansion of the first and second OVAs, but all they did was slap it on, basically telling us that they were done with half this series before it even began.
Clannad....I'm not even going to comment, the last 4 episodes have been predictable for me like no other. I'm only looking forward to the rumored Tomoyo OVA for episode 24 again since the series is only 22 episodes long (ending this week), along with a Nagisa "recap" next week and that's it for the TV airing. It felt very much like the way Code Geass R2 ran....Got good up to the point a certain someone left the show.....
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Watch what you say about Kyoto Animation. There the most epic anime company there is, they can do whatever they like! I hope they make a Clannad Movie Staring Fuko! I'd die then get resurrected then get on the first plane to Japan and I'd see that movie in theaters.

Anyway I hope Munto makes it to America I Order the 2 OVA DVD's thats out here in America I hope the TV anime and the Movie get Licensed.

Here we have just further proof that Kyoani's die hard fans don't hold them to any sort of standard. No wonder some people are starting to feel that they are slacking. I mean I didn't expect too much from them as far as their first non-adapation TV series, but I didn't expect them to not even try and to instead just adapt their own work. It's almost funny when you think about it, but yeah....I sort of understand why they don't seem to be trying anymore. They probably know by now that they can just "do whatever they want" and still make a tidy profit.
prnoct90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I will be in Japan on April 18th and want to see the movie in Tokyo. Does anyone know what theater it is playing in so I can buy a ticket. I can't read Japanese.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
prnoct90 wrote:
I will be in Japan on April 18th and want to see the movie in Tokyo. Does anyone know what theater it is playing in so I can buy a ticket. I can't read Japanese.

It's playing at the Ikebukuro Cinema Sunshine in Tokyo's Ikebukuro neighborhood (map, not to scale). To get there, go to the Ikebukuro station on Japan Railways' Yamanote train line. Exit the station at the East Exit and walk five minutes in the direction of Sunshine City by first getting on Green Dōri road and turning left on Sunshine 60 Dōri road. The theater is one block past Lotteria, a yellow-and-red restaurant at the corner of Green Dōri and Sunshine 60 Dōri roads.

Google Maps

It's only playing once a day at 8:00 p.m.
prnoct90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
How do you buy tickets? Can you buy them at the box office.

http://www.cinemasunshine.co.jp/topic2.html

I think this talks about it, but I can't read Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2