• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Professional Golgo 13 on DVD ? ? ?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:15 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and have been enjoying reading some of the posts. The worst anime posts were fun to read***. I'm still browsing through the other posts...but anyway,

I was wondering if anyone has heard if The Professional Golgo 13, the original old school anime, will ever be released on DVD with US dvd region codes.

Sites like amazon only sell the VHS.
I've googled it too, and only the UK versions show up, but even those places are out of stock.

Even Urban Vision's official site only has Golgo 13 Q-B*** info.

Does anyone know what the deal is ?

thanks for your time everyone.

G13
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:50 am Reply with quote
UV's working on the rights for that.
Lord Van

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:49 am Reply with quote
It's been SO long scince I've seen this one. It is old school.
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Sweet ! Thats good news.

thanks G...
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
wild huh...its about the same age as the original Vampire Hunter D.

Its like those two are as old as Fist of the North Star, or around that time anyway...

later LV
Desslar

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:51 am Reply with quote
EH, this is one case where the manga is much, MUCH better than the anime. I'd like to see a new Golgo anime, this time done right with more realism and less perversion.
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:45 am Reply with quote
though this is manga related...

The books must be out of print from like Forever then...

too bad they dont recollect em and then let Darkhorse reload the whole thing. theyd be cool to read...

I found this one site b4 that had scans of the covers of like 20 + issues...

oh well....

thanks for the tip though...I thought the anime was great, so imagine the mangas...

later D !
Desslar

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:51 am Reply with quote
The Pro Golgo 13 wrote:
though this is manga related...

The books must be out of print from like Forever then...

too bad they don't recollect em and then let Darkhorse reload the whole thing. theyd be cool to read...

I found this one site before that had scans of the covers of like 20 + issues...

oh well....

thanks for the tip though...I thought the anime was great, so imagine the mangas...

later D !

The Golgo 13 manga isn't out of print. It's been published nonstop since about 1968. You can probably find the latest volume at your nearest Japanese book store. Or if you look on Yahoo Japan's Auction site (like Ebay) you can probably find a complete set of the manga for sale. If you like James Bond and the Punisher you'll love the manga.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:55 am Reply with quote
I'm still stuck with the VHS Version, which is now having a few dropouts-video noise here and there, as with most VHS over a certain time period, thus i had to dub it onto my DVD Recorder for archival purposes. Or at least until UV releases it on DVD and hopefully they'll do the same with Hurricane Polymar.

First time i heard of Golgo 13 was from the old nintendo games back in the day. they were cool, but hard as hell to beat.
(Duke Togo actually get's laid in the game.LMAO)

A friend of mine who worked at a comic store back then, hadmislead me into thinking that the movie The Professional (Y'know the one with French actor Jean Reno and natalie Portman) was based on Golgo 13. uh,yeah..right.
Confused Rolling Eyes

good thing we had free passes.
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Desslar wrote:
The Golgo 13 manga isn't out of print. You can probably find the latest volume at your nearest Japanese book store. Or if you look on Yahoo Japan's Auction site (like Ebay) you can probably find a complete set of the manga for sale.

Found the auction site. Couldn't really find any sets. The encyclopedia looks interesting though.

I think this can be considered Anime at least or fall in this category or retail...but Check out this vintage item though.

But I found the Shopping site & though i cant read a lick of Japanese, I did figure the prices. Not bad (like $3 an issue)

Time check out the book store though.

thanks again...D

peace,

ps.

the_soultaker wrote:
First time i heard of Golgo 13 was from the old nintendo games back in the day. they were cool, but hard as hell to beat.

Hey S-T. That link would probably interest you and the rest of us too. Though its from Sega. But it costs like $50 !

Though, that movie was cool (kind of only though)...Jean Reno as GOLGO 13 ?!...LOL...thats funny. Hey, he was in Godzilla with "Ferris Bueller" though!

n.e.way.
Later.
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Just to kind of close this question for those interested. After posting this forum, I was able to contact UV and they responded. Here check it out.

Later All!

My Email:
Quote:
Hello Urban Vision,

I'm just wondering if theres any official news/word of The Professional Golgo 13, the original old school 1983 anime, being released on DVD in the USA with the American dvd region code?

Do you know if theres a chance of a Future release of this classic and excellent movie.

thanks 4your time,
G-13

UV reply:
Quote:
Hello,

Urban Vision does have plans to release The Professional to DVD. No release schedule has been set yet, but the likely release date will fall toward the end of 2004.

Best regards,
Urban Vision Entertainment
www.urban-vision.com
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Good luck and thanks for the ebayjpn link, I'm still hoping that one of the japanese videogame companies will produce a brand new G13 game for PS2,XBOX or even Gamecube.

Unforunetly Vic Tokai (who released the 2 Nes games) is no longer in the biz,as far as i know. Confused
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering what happened to The Professional. I knew Queen Bee was on dvd for awhile, but I wasn't sure what was holding up The Professional. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Duke, if it's a new movie or an english translation of the manga.

Last edited by Louie-kun on Fri May 21, 2004 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Most of the company's back-catalogue isn't on dvd, because of rights issues. I think a UV rep also told me they wanted Dezaki to do another commentary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1