• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Confused about something in Ghost in the Shell (spoilers)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xberserkx

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:16 am Reply with quote
I just watched it for the first time and it was great, cant wait for the second one. Im just confused about one thing, and the end when Motoko fuses with the puppet master she says "When l was a child,l spake as a child.'l understood as a child,l thought as a child.'''But when l became a man,l put away childish things". Ok she says when she became a man can someone explain this to me, I think it means when she became an adult but can someone tell me just to make sure

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:23 am Reply with quote
It's a biblical quote. And yes, for all intents and purposes, it does have to do with her gaining a higher level of understanding. It's not so much about a physical maturing as it is something else. It's like she reached an epiphany when she merged with the puppet master. She realized just how little she knew, and how much more there was to be gained.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:31 am Reply with quote
I think she might actually be quoting from something(the bible maybe),not to sure though.- I was writing this when Godaistudious made his post. So it was the bible.

In anycase don't take it to literally. The word man is just used in the sense of mankind,its not specifically refering to any particular gender. So yes one could take it as meaning adult, although in the case of GITS its not really that Motoko is an adult but rather that she has become something infinitely greater than what she was before.

In any case once Motoko has fussed with the puppet master she isn't really a women anymore. Its arguable whether one would even consider her an actually women before that point. Okay so her body resembles a women's but she doesn't know who she actually is.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:34 am Reply with quote
There's also a little joke in the manga where Batou gives Kusanagi the new body, but doesn't realise it's a male (he thought it was female, presumably due to the long hair and curvy form). So Kusanagi thwaps him (again). Very Happy
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:36 am Reply with quote
I had heard the tone of the manga was lighter than that of the anime, i have been meaning to pick it up for some time but havn't got round to it.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah the manga is all Shirow, whereas the anime is (obviously) lots of Oshii.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote
FYI Biblical quotes are a kinda trademark of Oshii.

That one is from Corinthians. There is one in Angel's Egg from Genesis. Avalon had a Matthew quote, I think. And I'm pretrty sure there is one somewhere in Patlabor.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:07 pm Reply with quote
There's lots of biblical quotes in Patlabor.
Even the bad guy's name is a biblical pun - E. Ohba = Jehova (old pronunciation).
xberserkx

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Ok thanks guys
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
There's lots of biblical quotes in Patlabor.
Even the bad guy's name is a biblical pun - E. Ohba = Jehova (old pronunciation).

I think it's strictly limited only to the first movie. Babel is a common reference for starters.

In the second one, it more appears to be political than religious. And in WXIII, it's hinted that one of the characters has played God in some way, but there is no overt biblical references.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Another question though, if any of you can understand the original Japanese dialogue. Were these blibical quotes/references present in the original Japanese dubb?

I watched GITS on DVD in English dub first, then Japanese, then Japanese without subtitles. I noticed that quote there, but obviously, I can't tell if it's there in the Japanese dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1