• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Shonen Jump Discussion thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
Mmm... This probably won´t happen, but it wouldn´t kill VIZ to make a preview chapter for REBORN!! (The only manga that didn´t got a preview chapter IIRC) or Hunter X Hunter... They deserve soooo much recognition than what they get.

Actually, they did a preview chapter for Reborn a while ago, just before the first volume was released. I don't have an issue number for you right now, but I remember reading it in SJ. For the record, they did one for HunterXHunter, too. That said, it's been so long since those chapters came out that it wouldn't hurt to give each another preview.
.Metal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Shonen Jump has gone way down hill to me... I wish they had kept Slam Dunk. And Hikaru No Go. I still love One Piece and Bobobo though. And I do read Yu Yu Hakusho but the art is so bad half the time it can be somewhat painful. Oh and Tegami Bachi seems to suck.. but maybe it will get better?
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
.Metal. wrote:
Shonen Jump has gone way down hill to me... I wish they had kept Slam Dunk. And Hikaru No Go. I still love One Piece and Bobobo though. And I do read Yu Yu Hakusho but the art is so bad half the time it can be somewhat painful. Oh and Tegami Bachi seems to suck.. but maybe it will get better?

I do agree with you about YYH. I keep reading it cause it will end soon with only like 18 chapters left, but for the last year there is constantly several pages in the story where the art work is atrocious. These art problems also made me stop picking up Hunter X Hunter, by the same mangaka. The new title Tegami Bachi seems interesting. The Dickens or Hortio Alger type character of Lag Seeing intrigues me, will he succeed or fail? I too am sad that Slam Dunk left the line-up, but getting that title so much quicker is very appealing, especially considering it's length. What I look really forward to is the announcement of what will replace YYH in probably nine issues. I am hoping Bakuman from the creators of Death Note or Nurarihyon no Mago, cause I am a sucker for yokai stories.
.Metal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
MangaNeko wrote:
.Metal. wrote:

I do agree with you about YYH. I keep reading it cause it will end soon with only like 18 chapters left, but for the last year there is constantly several pages in the story where the art work is atrocious. These art problems also made me stop picking up Hunter X Hunter, by the same mangaka. The new title Tegami Bachi seems interesting. The Dickens or Hortio Alger type character of Lag Seeing intrigues me, will he succeed or fail? I too am sad that Slam Dunk left the line-up, but getting that title so much quicker is very appealing, especially considering it's length. What I look really forward to is the announcement of what will replace YYH in probably nine issues. I am hoping Bakuman from the creators of Death Note or Nurarihyon no Mago, cause I am a sucker for yokai stories.

Yeah the funny thing about YYH is that I liked it so much better when he was dead and just floating around. And yeah I agree about Bakuman, that would be great. As long as they don't do what they did with Slam Dunk and remove it right after it starts to really draw my attention Confused
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Ultimo will end up taking YYH's space. Viz said it would join the magazine in July (or the July issue, which would come out a bit before July).

I'm surprised Naruto is already coming back next issue. I thought it would take a bit longer.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or has Naruto been thru the Censorship Brush alot lately?

Shikamaru has had his ciga...cigareh...fag edited out alot, so that it appears he's just "mimicking" Azuma's smoking habits between Volumes 34 -37.

And I just picked-up Naruto 38-41, and already #38 will allow a naked Suigetsu go around acting borderline Yaoi to Sasuke, yet Konohamaru can't do his Sexy: Double Knockout Girls/Guys Technique which needs to be blacked out?? The hell??
.Metal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ultimo will end up taking YYH's space. Viz said it would join the magazine in July (or the July issue, which would come out a bit before July).

I'm surprised Naruto is already coming back next issue. I thought it would take a bit longer.

Sorry for the late reply, but isn't Ultimo something written by an American guy or drawn by him or something?
perroloco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Ultimo´s story is done by Stan Lee (Spiderman, X-men) and art by Hiroyuki Takei (Shaman King)
.Metal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
Ultimo´s story is done by Stan Lee (Spiderman, X-men) and art by Hiroyuki Takei (Shaman King)

Thanks.

That's too bad if that does take the place though..
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Just got my MAY 2009 issue of SJ, Naruto is back with chapters 420, 421, 422, 423 and 424. They also speak about 7 more chapters online, but are not available yet. My guess is they are waiting for the REAL street date of this issue. There is also news that SJ is making an ULTIMO comic for Free Comic Book Day, May 2nd.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of creeped out by the "moe-service" for Niche in the current installments of Tegami Bachi. I was expecting a different kind of series, I guess.
.Metal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm kind of creeped out by the "moe-service" for Niche in the current installments of Tegami Bachi. I was expecting a different kind of series, I guess.

Yeah, isn't she supposed to be like 7?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:18 am Reply with quote
Oh, and it sucks that Bo^7 is ending next issue, because I'm wondering is Viz will still continue it in TPB form... Crying or Very sad
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
IMO, I think it's only a matter of time before Viz gets around to Neuro. As for To Love-Ru, I'll say the same thing, albeit with a little less confidence.

Oh, Neuro...I loved the guy ever since I set eyes on him in J!US...now, I'm dying to read the manga... I really do hope it comes to the U.S.!

But, what frustrates me is that there's so much old material from SJ that I'd love for them to bring over. Neuro would be awesome, if it came to the U.S. Now, Hell Teacher Nube? They'd have to take me to the hospital in a stretcher, I'd be so happy.

Then there's the pre- and post-Starlight Crusaders arcs of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.....aaahhhh...
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Oh, and it sucks that Bo^7 is ending next issue, because I'm wondering is Viz will still continue it in TPB form... Crying or Very sad

That caught me by surprise. I was just starting to warm up to the series too. I guess they're making room for Ultimo. Maybe they will continue in TPB form. Viz has said that it's surprisingly popular.

Levitz9 wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
IMO, I think it's only a matter of time before Viz gets around to Neuro. As for To Love-Ru, I'll say the same thing, albeit with a little less confidence.

Oh, Neuro...I loved the guy ever since I set eyes on him in J!US...now, I'm dying to read the manga... I really do hope it comes to the U.S.!

But, what frustrates me is that there's so much old material from SJ that I'd love for them to bring over. Neuro would be awesome, if it came to the U.S. Now, Hell Teacher Nube? They'd have to take me to the hospital in a stretcher, I'd be so happy.

Then there's the pre- and post-Starlight Crusaders arcs of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.....aaahhhh...

I think Jojo being unsuccessful has probably scared them off of bringing over any older series. I would love to see Nube come over as well, but it seems doubtful. It's just completely unknown in the US. Jojo had at least the videogame in the US and an anime, not to mention most anime fans have probably heard about it at least in passing, and it still failed.
What they should do for the older titles is release them in a separate line. The Shonen Jump crowd probably wouldn't want to read Nube, or Fist of the North Star, etc.. The people who would buy them are maybe the people who buy stuff from the Signature line.
There's a lot of classic Jump series and even some Sunday series I'd LOVE to see here, but sadly that's unlikely to happen Sad

In regards to Jojo, I think they should release Steel Ball Run, since it could easily be taken as a stand alone series that doesn't really require much prior knowledge of Jojo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7