• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime CD labels/covers?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-DC-

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:28 am Reply with quote
Hi guys~ been surfing these forums alot and finally decided to sign up and post my first post Smile

The other day, my friend copied a copy of "RAVE" for me, all nicely cd labelled with the original labels etc.

So, a thought came across my mind... "Wouldnt it be cool if I could make CD labels for all my Anime, like Naruto, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu etc~?" It would make my CDs much more attractive Very Happy lol

Do any of you guys know how to design labels, or know where to find some premade ones (of anime)?

Help would be very much appreciated Smile

[edited once by b for content]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:32 am Reply with quote
Just run a Google image search, pick out a nice picture from the series you like, save it to your HD, and then slap it onto a label maker (I recommend the one that comes with Nero or Roxio). And there ya have it. You can buy those nifty sticky CD labels that you print onto. Voila, instant label.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, another thing you can do is this. If you go to a place like CD Japan or Animaxis, you can get pictures of the Japanese DVD releases. Those usually make rather acceptable CD images which you can then throw onto Nero, Roxio, etc.

Yet another idea is to grab some of the nicer looking wallpapers off animewallpapers.com and shrink down the images to fit onto a CD. The space left over on the wallpaper is usually perfect for typing in any text you want.
The Spatula

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I know this is going to fall on deaf ears for the most part, but I would reccommend not putting on labels on any CDs. There are several reasons for this:

1. It is impossible to mount a label perfectly. There will always be a chance that one side is off a bit, which increase the chances that it will cause it to be unbalanced and thus become unreadable or damage your CD-ROM.

2. There is a chance that the adhesive from the label may stick too much to the data layer of the CD and pull parts of it off, especially if you buy CDRs that don't have any textured surface over the data layer on top.

Of course, I admit to being a bit paranoid when it comes to this sort of thing, but when you use CDs to back up your data, you want to make sure that you eliminate as many possibilities of destruction to that data as possible. You're better off just using a sharpie and buy CDRs that have a printed surface over the data layer (most branded ones are like this); it's cheaper and less likely to cause problems.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, there are CD label applying devices that let you apply the perfectly aligned label. Also, while I agree that it's useless to make a label for backup data, it's fine if you're slapping them on CDs with anime episodes on them. If you ever want to change the label, you can just throw another one on top of it.
gnollman

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the Spatula. Adhesives can corrode the silver reflective layer on the top of the CD. Laser rot, anyone?

Besides.... the top of the CD is the most fragile part. Scratch the bottom, and it generally still plays. Scratch the top to the same degree, and you got problems.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I just go to MS paint and type in what animes are on the CD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
-DC-

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:24 am Reply with quote
Well, I actually use DVD-R discs, (Princo, unlabelled discs) and they have a white protective layer over them.

I used to use CD labels alot, but the ones you generally get were a little thick, (though it isnt the main problem, its not that, that does any harm) but I've found they weigh down the CD also. So now, I've decided to use this clear Transparency film stuff in A4 sheets, and cut them myself.

As I mentioned, I tried them for one of my anime discs, and they look wonderful, plus the transparent stuff is very thin & light so thus why I have thought about doing labels again.

I'm thinking of making them mainly for making backups of my anime so that I can keep my originals for myself, and lend out the backups if my friends want to watch them (I hate getting my lovely original anime CDs scratched Sad)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm. In the case of CD lables for CD-Rs and such, I actually had a friend make an Inu-Yasha OP & ED song CD. At the time he had just learned how to make CD lables, and he decided to test it on my CD.

Aside from the image looking a little squashed in there, the lable seems to have fit perfectly and there are no problems when playing.

But I'm no CD scientist, so this comment probably means jack... Razz
-DC-

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:16 am Reply with quote
Well, I know CD-ROMs dont like over-weighted CDs and unbalanced CDs, but I never really put any thought into dataloss because of the adhesive... I guess its ok because the DVD-R's i use have a layer over them... but I dont know for normal CDR's.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:35 am Reply with quote
I just spend the extra couple of dollers and buy Matte Finish cds. Never had a problem with just writing on them with a felt marker. I think labels adds to much time and money to the final cd. And since I college student *read as poor* ill just take the money I would spend on labels and buy more dvd-rs

also Mailordering em in bulk helps alot as well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
-DC-

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:06 am Reply with quote
Yeah.... Makes sense but I just like the icing on top... Anyway, ordered some more transparent adhesive sheets which cost me a fortune, but I guess will be worth it... now off to find pictures :S
roboticservo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't put stickers on the cd-r's. If you dont apply it perfectly the first time, your outa' luck.
When eveything is said and done you only look at the label for 3 seconds before you pop it in, not worth all the trouble if you ask me.

Matt
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1