• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Spice and Wolf, Yotsuba&!, Crescent Moon Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reverend Ragu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ed: I imagine if Azumanga was more popular, then those wideban volumes of the manga would have encouraged ADV to keep Yotsuba.

Gatsu, you ignorant slut.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36891
You probably shouldn't click that post button if you don't actually have any idea what you're talking about.
Azumanga Daioh was popular, that's why it got an omnibus in the first place. Yotsuba& is reasonably popular, it's just that ADV wanted to focus on their core business of driving themselves into bankruptcy.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Novel or manga?

I've got the same question, but I'd bet the manga.

And I wonder if this "Crescent Moon Story" is the manga version of Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, for the other two titles are both acquired from Kadokawa.

FullmetalCJ wrote:
The honest answer is that they owed money to licensors and the printer which prevented them from printing any more books and from admitting their manga dept. was dead for fear that unsold books would get returned.

That sounds very alarming to me, reminding me this company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tatsuko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Shii wrote:
Meanwhile, deep in the bowels of ADV, a lone intern with a candle, quill pen, and kanji dictionary continues to work on Yotsuba&! volume 6, one letter at a time.

lol. If you only knew...
Tatsuko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:

Otaku_X wrote:
ADV Manga has ALWAYS been non operational. I never buy stuff from them because it never gets finished. The Azudai Omnibus, Evangelion Angelic Days (which I bought after they finished it to be safe), and Yotsuba&! being the only exceptions.

Well, they did finished Chrono Crusade Laughing .

(Good thing, too - excellent series and a great companion to the anime.)

And also Full Metal Panic. Smile If I hadn't gotten to finish that one there would've been hell to pay. Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
FullmetalCJ wrote:
I wonder where you get your information. 'because Yotsuba&! was very popular (so was Azumanga, which is why they reprinted it with all 4 books in one big collection).
Don't argue with GATSU. He has Joker Immunity to teh rules and a wanton disregard for any proven facts that contradict his opinions. At least he's showing a marked refusal to accept them in this thread.

About the Yen Press announcement for Spice and Wolf be the manga since they already announced the light novels a while back? (Not to mention having them and their publication dates already on their website for quite a while now?)

Either way, I'm buying when it comes out since I think it's in line with my interests. Them picking up Yotsuba gives me a reason to get into it. (Now, if they could add Gunslinger Girl, I could begin constructing a proper shrine to them.)
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
edzieba wrote:
Novel or manga?

I've got the same question, but I'd bet the manga

It's the manga. They announced the novels 4 months ago, so what else could it be?

Besides:

Yen Press Panel Report wrote:
The Spice and Wolf novel series has already been announced at last September's New York Anime Festival, and now, Yen is also able to confirm that they will be handling the manga adaptation as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I am so happy right now!!!

Patachu wrote:
Yotsubailout!

skwee! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Besides:

Yen Press Panel Report wrote:
The Spice and Wolf novel series has already been announced at last September's New York Anime Festival, and now, Yen is also able to confirm that they will be handling the manga adaptation as well.

Silly me that I didn't double check with the panel report. Embarassed

However, reading the description of this "Crescent Moon Story" doesn't quite sound like HanTsuki. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Man, I am loving Yen Press. I liked their style from the first book they released, and this is just even better news. Rapidly climbing to the top with Del Rey, imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I always figured ADV's downfall had more to do with them licensing everything under a blue moon as long as it fit the genre they were looking for wether it was good or not: Robots, Flashy fights, weird funny, slice of life funny, big glassy eyes, and boobs.

ADV got cocky with getting some now classic animes but then they went on a big crap spree acquiring series like Tokyo Underground, Gravion and other C- or lower series. Usually out weighing any decent series they acquired 4 to 1 at times. And there there was farscape and somewhat random live action japanese imports...

ADV's fault was more in its approach rather then just blaming the anime economy or economy in general.

In any case I'm happy we get Yotsuba again. Despite personal opinions and taste its will undoubtedly go down as a classic in manga like its predecessor. It might not be something you go back to all the time for its "intense story of and/or suspense/action/mysticism/epic-ness/whatever" but its definitely something you wouldn't regret having in your bookshelf.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Just want to chime in with all the Hooray Yotsuba&s!!!!
darcerin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I have died and gone to heaven. I am SO happy to see Yotsuba&! coming back!

Was there a standing ovation when it was announced? Surprised
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
That's great that Yen Press got Yotsuba&!, but sure is going to be amusing seeing a sudden change of publishing company for the same series on my bookshelves since I already own the first 5 volumes ADV Manga published.

I hope Yen Press gets Azumanga Daioh too, missed out on both the individual volumes and the complete series omnibus ADV Manga published previously.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll be very glad to get more Yotsuba, although it is a little sad to see ADV losing another good title- only a little, since their manga divison never did get their act together.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Yotsuba&! EXCELLENT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7