• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto - the next Inuyasha?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I know - another Naruto thread,but hear me out.

I liken Naruto to Inuyasha because of the intensity in the action sequences and in the drama.
There are those who claim Naruto is a kids' show in Japan.I tend to doubt that.At the risk of sounding like a broken record,I doubt people would let kids see things like the "Sexy No Jutsu" and "Make Out Paradise".
For the record,those who think 4kids will snatch (and butcher) it,I'd like to tell them,that won't be the case,since,IM(HoNSH)O,not only is 4kids NOT intersted in obtaining Naruto,I rather doubt they'd be interested in it anytime soon.Nah,Viz stands a better chance of getting the license for the anime (like they have the manga).If so,it's likely Naruto could be shown on CN's Adult Swim,like Inuyasha.Imean,it's not like Inuyasha has been kiddified,so why would Naruto be any different?
arxane

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:22 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
There are those who claim Naruto is a kids' show in Japan.I tend to doubt that.At the risk of sounding like a broken record,I doubt people would let kids see things like the "Sexy No Jutsu" and "Make Out Paradise".

Guess what? Kids do watch Naruto. It is a kid's show in Japan. Japan has different limits than America. The Japanese have looser standards when it comes to stuff like nudity and mild gore. You may think Naruto is a "mature" show for adults, but it's really just a kids show, like Yu-Gi-Oh and Inuyasha.

Quote:
If so,it's likely Naruto could be shown on CN's Adult Swim,like Inuyasha.Imean,it's not like Inuyasha has been kiddified,so why would Naruto be any different?

Nope. Inuyasha may have made its way onto Adult Swim, but Naruto most certainly will not (I 99.99999999999% guarantee it). Whoever gets Naruto will want to give it the largest exposure possible, and that means targeting its original audience, the same audience that shows like "Dragoball Z" and "Yu Yu Hakusho" are targeted towards.[/i]
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote
You are forgetting something there. Regardless of what you said, Naruto is *still* a kids show in Japan. The time slot is during a family hour in the same kind of timeslot that we get for watching our primetime shows. It's family oriented in such a way that adults can still chuckle who see it, but it is centered around the kids. It's a different culture, which is why what is put on TV is a bit different over there, so the Sexy no Jutsu and everything else is just a part of that package.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Naruto gets dark after a while. It may be a children show, but it's initial humor doesn't stay. It is a fighting/growth anime in a vain like DBZ, but also Gundam. It may work for Adult Swim, but would be also well suited for spot in the new Toonami. Naruto is also a general audience show. It is a show that is appropriate for many ages, and not strictly a children's show, nor a teen's, nor an adult show. It gets deeper as it moves on, killing characters and exploring the consequences.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:38 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Inuyasha may have made its way onto Adult Swim, but Naruto most certainly will not (I 99.99999999999% guarantee it).

Wasn't it mentioned in here a while back that it was kind of an accident that InuYasha even made it into AS, and since it ended up being so popular, there would've been hell to pay had they decided not to continue with it?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
If so,it's likely Naruto could be shown on CN's Adult Swim,like Inuyasha.Imean,it's not like Inuyasha has been kiddified,so why would Naruto be any different?

I've mentioned this in previous threads, but exactly how many adult swim shows feature kids as the main characters? The adults watching adult swim may find a show about a bunch of 13 year olds a real turn off, and if it is shown at such a late time block, the company who brought it over here won't be making as much money as they could possibly be getting. The Naruto anime was designed for selling stuff. When it gets over here, it will be put on tv, edited or not, and you can coun't on seeing annoying little kids running around everywhere with official Naruto headbands, attempting at weird hand patterns and shouting "Sexy no Justu!" or whatever the tonned down edited version will be.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:07 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
arxane wrote:
Inuyasha may have made its way onto Adult Swim, but Naruto most certainly will not (I 99.99999999999% guarantee it).

Wasn't it mentioned in here a while back that it was kind of an accident that InuYasha even made it into AS, and since it ended up being so popular, there would've been hell to pay had they decided not to continue with it?

That's what a lot of people believe, yes. It hasn't been confirmed, of course, but many do believe Willliams Street would love to get Inuyasha off the AS block and onto Toonami.

Of course, there are two big problems with doing that. 1) People would complain to no end, much like how "Yu Yu Hakusho" was moved from AS too Toonami...except to the nth degree. 2) Williams Street would be the one footing the bill for the re-dub and the re-edits (because Viz isn't like Funi).

So what's AS to do with "Inuyasha"? Why, use Miroku as the series spokesperson, of course! Wink
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
So what's AS to do with "Inuyasha"? Why, use Miroku as the series spokesperson, of course! Wink

I completely love their one Miroku commerical. I don't know if there are more out there, but if they aren't they need to make more. One of the biggest highlights to me about Inu Yasha is the perverted monk who wants to sleep with every female he sees.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Williams Street sounds like a real @ss clown.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:06 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Williams Street sounds like a real @ss clown.

Based on.......?

Anyway, yes, it amuses me to no end how people try their hardest to rationalise how a children's anime is "adult" just because they like it and are too insecure to admit they watch a children's show. Grow up. Please. The more you try to nitpick about how it's "ZOMG 4 teh growed ups," the more...well...childish you sound. Just admit that you like a children's anime and move on. That's actually a pretty mature thing to do; the less you fight about it, the less people will look down on you for it.

As far as what Naruto's the "next" of, I'd say DBZ. It's in the same "young shounen fighting" genre, it's incredibly popular, DBZ's popularity is waning, and Inu-Yasha is both in another genre and still going strong. Once Naruto gets licensed, I have the feeling it'll gain that massive DBZ fanbase who are looking for something new after being (mostly) disappointed with GT. It'll get a TV run, it'll be huge, next thing you know all those Son Gokuu dolls on the toy store shelf are swept into the bargain bin with Sasuke Uchiha dolls taking their place.

And that TV run? Toonami. Chances are best it'd be on Toonami. It's a children's show that just won't fit on Adult Swim. Let's look at it this way: Rurouni Kenshin, .hack//SIGN, & Gundam SEED could be considered more "mature" than Naruto, and yet they wound up on Toonami. If they weren't "old" enough for Adult Swim, then Naruto sure as hell isn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin, .hack//SIGN, & Gundam SEED could be considered more "mature" than Naruto, and yet they wound up on Toonami.

Kenshin was a mistake on CN's part by putting it on Toonami. Again, wasn't the rumor that...had they realized that Kenshin was as violent as it was and that it would pull in more ratings from the older demographic than the younger, they probably would've put it on AS and not Toonami? Putting it on AS would've probably resulted in less edits, as well.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:53 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin, .hack//SIGN, & Gundam SEED could be considered more "mature" than Naruto, and yet they wound up on Toonami.

Kenshin was a mistake on CN's part by putting it on Toonami. Again, wasn't the rumor that...had they realized that Kenshin was as violent as it was and that it would pull in more ratings from the older demographic than the younger, they probably would've put it on AS and not Toonami? Putting it on AS would've probably resulted in less edits, as well.

To Toonami, the violence wasn't as big an issue than the target demograph. When Toonami was still targeting the 6-11 range on weekdays, "Kenshin" did incredibly well in the ratings...but with the wrong demograph. The targeted audience just didn't watch it as much as the older demographs did.

Sean Akins of Toonami did admit in an interview that the reason it didn't do so well was because it missed the target demograph, not because of the violence, and that the show probably should've been put on Adult Swim.

For those who don't wish to hunt in the article for the quote:

Quote:
One of your most popular acquisitions as well as one of the most controversial as of late would have to be Ruroni Kenshin. What got you thinking that Kenshin would find a good home on Toonami?

We love that show. It possessed several attributes that made us think it could succeed in Toonami. It found an audience, unfortunately not the kind of audience we were looking for.

It’s been speculated that Kenshin’s move from Toonami to SVES was brought on by the fact that Kenshin’s content was too ‘mature’ to air on Toonami, is this the reason for it’s move or is there another reason for it’s move to SVES?

Kind of… It wasn’t that the content was too mature, because we did the edit. Just the audience it attracted was outside the demo Toonami targets. It just skewed a little too old for us. Guess that should have been an Adult Swim show…
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:49 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:

This is true, but this isn't about where Kenshin should've gone, rather where Naruto would likely go based on past examples. Three shows targeting a teenage demographic found their way to Toonami, so a children's show like Naruto stands little chance of succeeding where they failed. To punctuate that, the one children's fighting anime that was on Adult Swim (Yuu Yuu Hakusho) was moved to Toonami after a few months. Had Inu-Yasha not proven as successful as it did (with such an..."enthusiastic" fanbase), I'm sure it'd have joined Hakusho, as well.

Shows targeting a higher demographic than Naruto didn't make it to AS. Shows in the same category as Naruto were moved out of AS. I'd say Naruto's got about a snowball's chance in hell of getting on Adult Swim, to be completely honest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:03 am Reply with quote
Saying Naruto is "the next" InuYasha is like saying that Van Helsing is the next Chronicles of Riddick. They're both currently-running properties, so using 'the next' in that case is incorrect. Please think a little harder about your word use.

There will always be 15 year olds who watch shows aimed at Japanese 12-year olds who claim that the shows are actually 'for adults". The amusing thing is that they claim to be part of this so-called "real" target demographic, even though they themselves are not adults. I'd say Naruto is an unbelievably adolescent show and, while it is a lot of fun to watch, has all the emotional depth and resonance of a DBZ episode, and that's done purposefully. It's a good show, don't get me wrong, but it isn't for adults.

"Paranoia Agent" is an anime series for adults. "Berserk" is an anime series for adults. "Naruto" is not. Watch all three and you'll probably see what I mean. Mild adult situations and castrated violence do not make something "adult".

They'll understand when they're older.
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:35 am Reply with quote
After reading your posts,fellas,I'd like to say,let's wait and see what,if anything happens.

For the record,I have absolutely NOTHING against 4kids.It's that,unlike a lot of people who whined about it,I don't think 4kids will ever get the license to Naruto.supposing they did do so and they did what those people claimed,stuff like editing out the more salacious material in Naruto,changing names,etc., may prove to be counterproductive for them in the long run.

IMO,if any show is the next DBZ,it'd be One Piece (which may require fewer edits than Naruto.For example,digitally removing Sanji's cigarette or replacing it with a toothpick.)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4