• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Job Opening

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:17 am Reply with quote
um, Zac, "MBA preferred, but not required". The question of whether interest in anime and a familiarity with the market and environment trump an MBA and/or professional marketing experience, or they are hoping to score one of the...couple of people out there who have *both* is another question entirely.

Which of course also brings to mind the question of just what kind of ways the various industry personalities have taken to end up where they are now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:52 am Reply with quote
It was a joke. Gen Fukunaga doesn't have a Pit of snakes...

...Jerry Chu does. Gen Fukunaga on the other hand is a Rich Kid, so his pit is filled with Komodo Dragons. And tics.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:55 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
The question of whether interest in anime and a familiarity with the market and environment trump an MBA and/or professional marketing experience

It's easy to train someone who has experience selling flea collars to sell anime. Likewise, it's easy to train someone who has a BusAdmin degree to sell anime, even if they don't have real world experience (although an internship would be a requirement for most colleges, I'd assume...)

It's not as easy to train an anime fan who "knows" the anime market, but has no clue how to talk to retailers and businessmen, or who might say bad things about the very titles he/she is trying to promote.

They're looking for Lance's Evil Twin, basically.. and although Lance is an anime fan, he was hired because of his skills as a businessman.

Potential candidates for this job would be, in order of priority (IMO):
1) Anyone who has a BusAdmin degree (Masters or otherwise), or some other business-related degree OR experience. This shows you have certain educational skills and/or some sense of how businesses run. You may or may not know "Anime", but you can learn it if you don't.

2) Anyone who has a degree. Even if it's liberal arts, having gone to college and graduated shows you have some general educational training and can (theoretically) be trained to learn new skills. You'd need to be able to show you can learn marketting, but you've still got a leg up over some of the competition. If you know anime, that's a plus, too.

3) Anyone who has knowledge of the anime *market* -- such as knowing the trends, who's buying what, why they're buying, and how you can promote titles to them (AND the retailers that feed them). this doesn't necessarily mean knowing _real_ sales numbers, but being able to predict with some certainty who's buying and why. Without any kind of degree, though, you'd need to be pretty impressive in order to get the job.

It IS a business, after all. If you don't already have the training, and if you can't BE taught, then you probably have no chance at getting this job..

If they "need" to hire someone for this position, they'll choose the best of the applicants... which might mean Joe 6-Pack and his Associate's Degree in Botany, from the College of Joe's Neighborhood, if he's the only one who applied.

So I suggest if you're in the area and/or are willing to relocate (possibly at your own expense) that you consider submitting your resume.. and good luck to you if you do. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I hate to burst your collective bubbles but the position requires a master's degree in business administration. Which means you've been in college for a minimum of 7 years. They don't want people with bachelor's degrees in marketing.

Eh, the whole "looking to fill a marketing position" part threw me, my bad. No bubbles burst, I was invalidated from the beginning anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mlund

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:45 pm Reply with quote
You know, this is very tempting.

I've been working at the Communications department for a major Mutual Fund and Finance company since I started interning back in 2000.

I have a Bachelors degree from a well-known New England business school that is one of the national leaders in Business Information Systems. I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a major in Computer Information Systems built on top of a solid business core.

I also picked up an intern / volunteer position on the side with a major gaming company where I participate in pre-market product testing for a Collectable Card Game as well as post-market customer-response revolving around rules questions about the above mentioned C.C.G. over the internet, mostly forums and mailing lists.

I'm familiar with conventions and event management from years of experience as a consumer and also as an event judge and event manager for Magic: The Gathering and Legend of the Five Rings tournaments.

As for synergistic skills, I've had some intensive experience with Web based marketing and user interface development that could come in handy. I'm familiar with common marketing computer technologies like Adobe Photoshop, Quark Express, and the Mac OSX operating system that often powers design workstations. I also took a year of business Japanese and recently renewed my studies with a private tutor.

I became interested in anime back early in college when I met the wonderful the woman who is now my wife. We both enjoy colelcting animation and graphic novels. I'm also partial to consol videogames, especially those with story continuity.

I wish I could have afforded to go on the 5-year plan and completed my MBA, but my parents had certainly done more than their fair share supporting my life and education for 21 years.

Do you folks think it would be worth my time to throw my hat into the ring anyway?

- Marty Lund
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote
mlund wrote:
Do you folks think it would be worth my time to throw my hat into the ring anyway?

Absolutely--go for it.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:45 pm Reply with quote
mlund wrote:
You know, this is very tempting.

I've been working at the Communications department for a major Mutual Fund and Finance company since I started interning back in 2000.

I have a Bachelors degree from a well-known New England business school that is one of the national leaders in Business Information Systems. I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a major in Computer Information Systems built on top of a solid business core.

I also picked up an intern / volunteer position on the side with a major gaming company where I participate in pre-market product testing for a Collectable Card Game as well as post-market customer-response revolving around rules questions about the above mentioned C.C.G. over the internet, mostly forums and mailing lists.

I'm familiar with conventions and event management from years of experience as a consumer and also as an event judge and event manager for Magic: The Gathering and Legend of the Five Rings tournaments.

As for synergistic skills, I've had some intensive experience with Web based marketing and user interface development that could come in handy. I'm familiar with common marketing computer technologies like Adobe Photoshop, Quark Express, and the Mac OSX operating system that often powers design workstations. I also took a year of business Japanese and recently renewed my studies with a private tutor.

I became interested in anime back early in college when I met the wonderful the woman who is now my wife. We both enjoy colelcting animation and graphic novels. I'm also partial to consol videogames, especially those with story continuity.

I wish I could have afforded to go on the 5-year plan and completed my MBA, but my parents had certainly done more than their fair share supporting my life and education for 21 years.

- Marty Lund

Yes, absolutely. Go for your dreams.
Joshman

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm still stuck in college for now, but I hope to one day work my way up in the industry and get a job like this.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:

It only takes a few hours to write a resume, or update it to your latest achievements. In exchange for that small amount of time, you're potentially getting a job within the anime industry (and a pretty decent one, too).

If you're rejected, you've still got an up-to-date resume. Heck, you can even turn down the position if they offer it to you, if other issues arise. In other words, it can't hurt, but it might help you start a new career. The only people who shouldn't apply are those people who can't accept the position due to other commitments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2