• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do Anime games spoil the series?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReIN-Karnated@042

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:50 am Reply with quote
Over the years I've seen games be created from Anime/Manga, spoiler[e.g. Z.O.E Fist of Mars, megaman, Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Ranchers,Medabot and many more. ] But is it worth it in the sense Idea, do you get the same love, anger and spectatular seens and characters as the game.

To be really true I've played a few of this games and it does sort of dimenish the aspect of the movies,OAV and Series, but it also put in the "First Person View" of the plot. Especially with RPG games they basically set it exactly maybe a little bit different things but the main "Anime Things are their". Question

I would like to know if it promotes Anime, Insults or any over disadvantages/advantages it has Question Exclamation Arrow
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:02 am Reply with quote
Well, I'd say without a doubt, since they continue to be made, the makers see it as profitable, and therfore a promoting the series. It's been the norm for awhile though that games are made typically after tha anime has been around. In the end, it really can't "ruin" the series because the series was usually around first.

I can't see that games so much "insult" an anime series, but it can bring out the flaws of a series. I suspect that it does depend on the genre and storyline of the game though. Consider that some series will be limited in the types of games that are appropriate because there is not much story to it, and therfore, little room to expand.

This is one of the reasons why I think there are so many fighting games out there for things like DBZ. It doesn't really work to try and create anything other than fighting games for the most part because it forces the characters to be placed outside of genre already limited by the anime/manga itself.

Just a thought Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
miu

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:15 am Reply with quote
The only problem that I see with games based on an anime is that they could extend the canon beyond what the director and creators had in mind for the anime. I haven't seen this happen with anime yet, but it is often a problem for comic books and movies that become a franchise. Unchecked it can easily lead to "midichlorian syndrome" and retroactive continuity. Smile
Goshin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:14 am Reply with quote
Well, whether you like it or not, videos games and anime go hand in hand. The characters are inspired by anime one way or another.

Typically yes, the video games are produced well after the series is made. But, let’s not forget about "Gungrave". You can also add the horrid amount of anime/fighting games to the mix. For instance, "Street fighter", "Fatal Fury", and "Tekken", all of which was spawned from the video game franchise.

Either way, it’s hard to say that the video game counter-part would diminish the anime in question. Anime and video games both have their limits, respectively. The game itself is not there to insult you. It’s there to provide a whole new direction, with you playing the part of your favorite protagonist. However, at its base, it’s usually produced for promotional needs. And it will continue to be profitable for a time to come.

Last edited by Goshin on Mon May 03, 2004 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:56 am Reply with quote
http://www.hitmaker.co.jp/game/INITIALD/ac_ver03/

Note that Tokyopop has only gotten to the Wataru/AE86 Levin point in the manga, and the Anime hasn't even gotten past the halfway point of Stage 1 (spending too much time on their "Tricked-Out" format.....waste of DVD IMHO....), yet the Arcade Game (Version 2 is out for a long time, but Version 3 is slated to come out English-wise for Late Summer) has the racers from Toudou-Juku, Seven Star Reaf (SSR), and goes further with Project D, plus a few new racers. Plus, they also have courses like Happougahara and Nitto-Irohazaka in Version 2 (Only courses have been Myogi, Usui, Akina, and Akagi, with brief mention of Nitto-Irohazaka by Ryosuke Takahashi), and Version 3 has Shomaru and Tsuchizaka.

Unless you have access to the original Manga or Anime, or know sites about this info, it's a semi-spoiler of sorts, because your wondering "who are these other teams? What other tracks?"
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:56 am Reply with quote
And let's not forget the .hack franchise, which links the series and games together. SIGN ends on a pretty big cliffhanger regarding one character who's left in a VERY bad situation as the series ends, and if you're not the type who likes to use their imagination to decide for yourself what's eventually going to happen, or the type who can live with somewhat open endings, you're going to have to get through 3 video games for a resolution outside of your own head! Not a problem for me -personally I think the series gave us enough to work with that I can survive without the games and decide for myself what I think happened next - but I'm sure there are people who didn't like this too much.

I'm no longer the video game player I was in my younger years, but I think the situation is similar to books and movies. Movies can be better, worse or the same as written versions of the same story. I find that whichever came out first tends to be better as a general but far from universal rule.
kozumi330214

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:58 am Reply with quote
goshin23 wrote:
Well, whether you like it or not, videos games and anime go hand and hand. The characters are inspired by anime one way or another.

Typically yes, the video games are produced well after the series is made.

Either way, it’s hard to say that the video game counter-part would diminish the anime in question. Anime and video games both have their limits, respectively. The game itself is not there to insult you. It’s there to provide a whole new direction, with you playing the part of your favorite protagonist. However, at its base, it’s usually produced for promotional needs. And it will continue to be profitable for a time to come.

Goshin23 stole my line. Well, at least I have someone with the same idea. Peace Exclamation Razz Cool
God_of_Evil

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote
miu wrote:
The only problem that I see with games based on an anime is that they could extend the canon beyond what the director and creators had in mind for the anime. I haven't seen this happen with anime yet, but it is often a problem for comic books and movies that become a franchise. Unchecked it can easily lead to "midichlorian syndrome" and retroactive continuity. Smile

Pokemon Colloseum is one.

Quote:
megaman, Pokemon

These two started as video games.......
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Square Enix just announced that they're bring the Full Metal Alchemist video game to the US. With the popularity the show has already gotten even before its licensed, I think the game will do well, and will even spur more offshoot products, including the actual anime itself. Its an RPG game, I from the screenshots that I have seen, it looks like a promising game...

This is an article from Gamespot.com with their impressions of the game from the TGS (Tokyo Game Show) 2003:

Gamespot wrote:
Full Metal Alchemist is one of the most surprisingly promising games on display at Square Enix's Tokyo Game Show booth. The action RPG, which is based on a popular Japanese comic, lets you play as Edward Elric, a budding alchemist who has had a run of bad luck that has left him with a mechanical arm and his brother Alphonse with a total mechanical makeover. Unable to sort the mess out by himself, Edward sets out to look for the philosopher's stone, which should help him set everything right. The demo version of the game in Square Enix's TGS booth offered a sample of what expect from the unusual game.

The third-person game is an action RPG that features some unique gameplay elements. You take direct control of Edward, but you also have the ability issue orders to Alphonse, who's along for the ride. Using the two brothers together is important to progress through the game's various levels.

The demo we played started out on a train and introduced us to the main characters. Following a combination of real-time cutscenes as well as animated sequences provided by the staff behind the upcomng Japanese animated cartoon, we were finally able to take control of Edward. The controls in the game seemed pretty accessible. The game lets you run, jump, and attack with your staff, as well as issue commands to Alphonse when he's around. As you defeat enemies, you'll earn experience and eventually gain additional experience levels, which enhance Edward's abilities.

The graphics in the game looked quite good and retained the look of the comic and animated series. Edward and Alphonse were the best-looking members of the cast, robotic elements notwithstanding. Of the two, Edward looked a bit better, thanks to a flowing cloak and a bit more animation, though the Alphonse doesn't seem to have as much animation simply because he isn't as spry as his mostly-flesh-and-blood brother is. The enemies in the game looked fine, albeit a bit bland. The environments we saw looked good. The train area was broken up into indoor and outdoor sequences that all looked solid enough. The game's frame rate seemed smooth and worked well with the animation.

Full Metal Alchemist is looking pretty good and should please Japanese fans of the series when it ships this fall. The action RPG elements feel right and the gameplay seems solid. However, given the game's strong association with a comic series that most Americans haven't seen, the game's chances for a stateside release don't seem especially good. Square Enix has made no mention of a US version.

Well of course, the US version is coming, but when it comes, I dunno...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Short answer: if you don't want to know, don't play the games before watching the series. I think this whole business with "spoiler warnings" has gone way too far as it is; they aren't about to add "spoiler warnings" to videogames, so, just like the sensible people who don't want to be spoiled* and, as such, use their own good sense of discrepancy to avoid reading detailed-looking articles and reviews of a series or film prior to seeing it, consider all video games based on a series to be similarly "off-limits".

* By "sensible", I'm implying a contrast with people that read everything they can find about a show and then complain about a lack of "spoiler warnings", not a contrast with "sensible people" such as myself who actually prefer reading spoilers before seeing something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Death W. Apacolypse

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
ReIN-Karnated@042 wrote:
[isnotspoiler] e.g. Z.O.E Fist of Mars, megaman, Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Ranchers,Medabot and many more [/isnotspoiler[/b]

Some of these you list were actually Video Games first. Z.O.E. was a video game before the anime took place. Same with Megaman.

So my return question is this. Do the animes help promote the games in this case.

And basically the answer is yes.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
the only anime games I've really tried to play are .hack. Sword of the Berserk, and The Record of Lodoss War...

.hack is a given

but the other two I learned about before the anime...and I thought they were pretty bad games, but I still enjoyed the anime.
some people like them, some don't. and as long as they make people money companies will keep making them.
Shamanistic_Trance

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:48 am Reply with quote
Anime games CAN be good if there is an equal kind of commitment that was put into the original Anime. however i believe that anime like DBZ, Digimon and Pokemon have stopped doing that, in my local videogame shop i can see about 6 DBZ games, 8 Pokemon games and 6 Digimon games. i'm saying that so long as the makers haven't created the game purely for profit through collectors they can actually be quite good.

After playing DBZ:Budokai (Without dubbing. unsually) i found that being able to play as Goku and blast frieza to tiny bits with kamehameha i began to genuinely enjoy the game. of course that's when i realised it had no replay value. after you beat the game several dozen times and unlock the characters (about 10 in total) it gets boring.

Personally, i find that the best games that have been based off anime (THAT IS NOT franchised by a games company e.g nintendo) only match up to pretty a standard gaming experience
halostryke

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:10 pm Reply with quote
sometimes anime helps develop the continuity of the storyline. i do see the arguments that it is solely made for profit, however directors/ producers are aware that they might alienate theri base. eg the Z.O.E series, the anime wasn't that good but for a fan such as myself i like to see what happend between the events of the game and how it got to that point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1