• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Basilisk question [Spoiler Warning]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redsoxsfan1212

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I was reading some reviews of this show and one said at a basic level it was a remake of spoiler[Romo and julite. SO I was wondering weather the enddings were similar(don't like tragic ending with no good but a little is okay]
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
(I'm assuming you want a straight answer, even if that means reading some spoilers.)

Well, it was a pretty tragic ending. spoiler[There was no Happily Ever After for the two main characters; both die. If you want an upbeat Anime with an equally upbeat ending, then don't look here. Of course, a sad ending arguably makes the Anime better, because it isn't cheapened by a deus ex machina plot resolution. But it only works if you are looking for an Anime that emphasises realism over the happiness of the characters].

My advice? Avoid it if you want a optimistic feel-good ending. There are plenty of other good Anime out there, many of which possess a positive ending.
redsoxsfan1212

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
thanks
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I wish this topic was arround a few years ago before I watched it. The ending just killed this one for me. (I still rated it in the upper range since the show prior to to that point was very enjoyable though.) To me, the sad endings are the ones that "cheapen" a show because they waste perfectly good character development and are less creative. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with character death I just don't like it when it's done pointlessly or excessively. It should be used professionally like a surgeon's scalpel rather than smash you with a club. I also feel it's a tremendous waste of my time to develop a romance and then kill off one or both of the involved people. Crying or Very sad

Also, on a side note, being sad sucks. One who derives enjoyment from a series that's as much of a downer as this and prefers them must have some type of masochistic streak if you ask me. I don't get it. Confused
EricDent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
(Spoilers just in case)

Yes the ending of the show is sad, but IMO it is nowhere as sad as the ending of Chrono Crusade. That show basically "slapped" the viewer in the face, to say "too bad, so sad". Which is why I no longer own that show on DVD, while I did keep the Basilisk show.

IMO they died (much like their grandparents) loving each other. So they would be together in the "afterlife".
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I wish this topic was arround a few years ago before I watched it. The ending just killed this one for me. (I still rated it in the upper range since the show prior to to that point was very enjoyable though.) To me, the sad endings are the ones that "cheapen" a show because they waste perfectly good character development and are less creative. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with character death I just don't like it when it's done pointlessly or excessively. It should be used professionally like a surgeon's scalpel rather than smash you with a club. I also feel it's a tremendous waste of my time to develop a romance and then kill off one or both of the involved people. Crying or Very sad

Also, on a side note, being sad sucks. One who derives enjoyment from a series that's as much of a downer as this and prefers them must have some type of masochistic streak if you ask me. I don't get it. Confused

Haha, its funny but I feel completely the opposite on this one, maybe I am that type of person that derives enjoyment from tragic endings. But don't you ever get that feeling, where the protagonist is chasing the girl right at the climax of a series and just as he is about to reach her, you want him to get hit by a big bus? I'd buy a million copies of a legitimate anime that makes it happen. Anyway back on topic...
Basilisk is one of my all time favorites just because of the tragic ending. It wasn't "smashed with a club" it was delivered with force and depth, the symbolism was heartbreaking. What you missed was that the character development was FOR the purpose of a tragic end, and made it ever more tragic. I don't know how you can find "creativity" in all these romance shows nowadays that always end the same! This was the most creative romance that I have seen and there was nothing cheap about it!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
I didn't miss that, no, I just find absolutely no purpose in building up a romance and then having a tragedy. It's like the equalivent of filling up a glass with a nice expensive fine wine and then dumping it on the ground instead of drinking it. Just a waste.

Also yes, I'd say this series does smash you with the club of character death spoiler[everyone from the supporting cast on both sides dies after all].

In addition, the ending was not very creative in my view because spoiler[it did exactly what I expected it would do, more or less, with the persistant depressing tone the series had and it's catch phrase "To the one I love prepare to die". When in order for me to consider it creative it would have to have done something differently and thrown me off. ] However, by the point in which I began to suspect that I was already hooked and had an artbox I had to fill so I was just hoping it wouldn't go there. Wink

spoiler[So the ending wasn't so much of a shock to me but more of a disappointment. Also basically if I recall correctly Genoske made it so that Oboro and the Iga won, which essentially is akin to the bad guys (in this case the government) winning and getting what they wanted. Or did Oboro's suicide deny them that too? I forget, I haven't watched it in a about a year or two. I suppose it would depend on whether or not there were any other surviving ninja left in the Kouga or Iga villages. ]

Last edited by Kruszer on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I didn't miss that, no, I just find absolutely no purpose in building up a romance and then having a tragedy. It's like the equalivent of filling up a glass with a nice expensive fine wine and then dumping it on the ground instead instead of drinking it. Just a waste.

So there's no point at all in a series unless it ends happily? You're entitled to your own opinion but in this case you must recognize that it's a rather unusual one. I mean, is Romeo & Julliet just a waste?
Quote:
spoiler[So the ending wasn't so much of a shock to me but more of a disappointment. Also basically if I recall correctly Genoske made it so that Oboro and the Iga won, which essentially is akin to the bad guys (in this case the government) winning and getting what they wanted. Or did Oboro's suicide deny them that too? I forget, I haven't watched it in a about a year or two. I suppose it would depend on whether or not there were any other surviving ninja left in the Kouga or Iga villages. ]

As I recall spoiler[both sides were controlled by two different factions of the government. Neither was really what you'd call good.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So there's no point at all in a series unless it ends happily? You're entitled to your own opinion but in this case you must recognize that it's a rather unusual one. I mean, is Romeo & Julliet just a waste?

Not neccessarily, it's a case by case basis. More like there's no point to a romantic tragedy actually, but even that is not neccessarily the case all of the time and yes, Romeo and Juliet is one of the worst things I had to read back in high school.

To explain I'd have to give other examples and major spoilers for other series which wouldn't be considerate to others here. If you want to know and don't mind being spoiled PM me.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
I don't think this end was "smashed by a club" either. I felt the ending was a very solid conclusion, and to end it differently would have been truly tragic and cheapened the whole series.

This is one of the few series that truly brought my to tears from deep down and if there wouldn't have been all the wonderful character development through-out, that reaction wouldn't have been possible. To me, it wasn't a "wasted" effort at all, but very appreciated.

This reaction has proved to be true upon repeat viewings as well. I didn't like this series strongly at the very beginning, it took a few disks to really grip me, but when it did...I knew I had to own it, and I am glad I do now.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
As I pointed out above it's not "the end" specifically it's the entire piece, that I feel is a misuse of character death. It deals you more damage when you use it less offen and aren't expecting it, whereas if it happens too offen you expect it too happen and it becomes boring. Then I grow numb twards it and it has zero effect at all. At least that's how my brain works, don't know about anyone elses'.

Anyhow, if you want my idea of how a tale of star-crossed lovers should have been handled, go watch Kemonozume. That series did it right.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I think you have to look at the broader scope of the story. It was made very clear from the beginning that spoiler[no one was going to make it.] The character development helped to drive home the tragedy of the situation because outside of their own clans no one viewed them as people. They were just objects to serve a cause that had nothing to do with them. But it's not just with Gennosuke and Oboro. Everyone has a tragic story which makes every death strike the heart. Kagero was the one I felt for the most since she was screwed before the show even started. It was very thematic in it's point that bloodshed and vengance is an endless cycle. It's actually one of my favorite series because even though the overall progression of the plot is predictable the road there is incredible. Gennosuke and Oboro are parallel to Romeo and Juliet but they are only two people out of 20 and aren't the only two you should be invested in.

As for the ending, spoiler[as far as the witnesses to the final battle are concerned Gennosuke was the winner thus stripping Lady Ofuku of her goal (hence why she wanted Gennosuke struck down before Oboro's last breath). But because Oboro was the only one who continued to choose not to fight until the very end, Gennosuke declared her the winner. Not for the sake of succession, but because she chose the proper path and therefore deserved it. No one in power got their hands on the scroll, so the declaration is more for those who may come across it in the future as it is the only mark of their existence.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
I think you have to look at the broader scope of the story. It was made very clear from the beginning that spoiler[no one was going to make it.] The character development helped to drive home the tragedy of the situation because outside of their own clans no one viewed them as people. They were just objects to serve a cause that had nothing to do with them. But it's not just with Gennosuke and Oboro. Everyone has a tragic story which makes every death strike the heart. Kagero was the one I felt for the most since she was screwed before the show even started. It was very thematic in it's point that bloodshed and vengance is an endless cycle. It's actually one of my favorite series because even though the overall progression of the plot is predictable the road there is incredible. Gennosuke and Oboro are parallel to Romeo and Juliet but they are only two people out of 20 and aren't the only two you should be invested in.

Again, please actually read my posts before responding to them. I'd already pointed that out not in so many words, but yeah I got it and to me it's one of the things I don't like about it.

A revelation came to me and I found the core of the matter. What rubbed me the wrong way in this and other series is the concept of some kind of inescapable "fate" or "destiny" or just surrendering to something you don't agree with, basically I just think it's a total crock of s*** personally. If I don't like something I fight it or change it, I don't go along with it like cattle like the characters in this story did. I'll fight to the bitter end, try my hardest, and die trying if I must. If I'd have gone along with "fate" or "destiny" when I got cancer I'd not be alive here to talk to any of you, I'd be dead instead of being 26, cured and heathy. Basically, it's all the character's "mindless sheep" attitude in the series that really bugs me, nobody stops to think for themselves, it's really quite pathetic.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:

Again, please actually read my posts before responding to them. I'd already pointed that out not in so many words, but yeah I got it and to me it's one of the things I don't like about it.

A revelation came to me and I found the core of the matter. What rubbed me the wrong way in this and other series is the concept of some kind of inescapable "fate" or "destiny" or just surrendering to something you don't agree with, basically I just think it's a total crock of s*** personally. If I don't like something I fight it or change it, I don't go along with it like cattle like the characters in this story did. I'll fight to the bitter end, try my hardest, and die trying if I must. If I'd have gone along with "fate" or "destiny" when I got cancer I'd not be alive here to talk to any of you, I'd be dead instead of being 26, cured and heathy. Basically, it's all the character's "mindless sheep" attitude in the series that really bugs me, nobody stops to think for themselves, it's really quite pathetic.

My heart goes out to you (I mean that sincerely) but all I can say is I disagree that the characters accepted the cards dealt to them and ran along with it like "mindless sheep." Some wanted the fight and were more than happy to take part. Others (Gennosuke and Oboro) tried to go against it. I can appreciate that you don't like the fact that their ultimate fate wasn't changed, but I think it's a mis-statement to say that it was one that was accepted and they just rolled with it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I had Lieukemia to be specific (luckily not any more though) and I'll admit not all of the characters were mindless sheep but a fair ammount of them were. For the most part though I pretty much was rolling my eyes at all the incomprehensible actions and simplistic predictabillity of the show. I still ended up liking it (gave it a very good rating I think) but as I've said it had many factors that rubbed me the wrong way.

Quote:
But don't you ever get that feeling, where the protagonist is chasing the girl right at the climax of a series and just as he is about to reach her, you want him to get hit by a big bus? I'd buy a million copies of a legitimate anime that makes it happen.

Ummm....no, never....well maybe if he was a huge douchebag and I hated him, but the only one where I got my wish on that one was spoiler[School Days].Laughing Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2