• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GUYVER...Give your voice.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinsgods

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone ever watch that show?
Did you like it, or didn't you?
Do you wish it could come back?
If so what do you think would have happened next?
Who was your fav?
Got anything else to say? Shocked
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Guyver was one of the first series to come out in the UK when anime first made its real impact on our shores back in the mid 90's(I think). I liked it back then but I was about 10 so watching a bunch of monsters getting sliced up was great fun. All in all I would rate it as a pretty poor series but never the less its still knida fun. Its a typical monster of the week show and simiar to a lot of other anime made in the 80's.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I actually saw the U.S. live action movie before I saw the anime. I was pretty young and didn't know there was a difference yet.

The movie was kinda gruesome and seemed a bit cheesy, but I liked it for the violence and sci-fi action. After that, I heard there was a 2nd movie, and after watching it, I though it totally stunk. Then, I finally got to watch some of the anime series, and I think it's a whole lot better than those movies. Unfortunately, I've only seen 3 episodes. Although I plan to get the DVDs someday.

Overall, it's a pretty neat looking series, though going by my limited knowledge of how many anime series I've actually seen, I'm sure there's been another series similar to it. Anime dazed
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Guyver was one of the first anime I watched back when I first got into it, way back when. I remember picking up some of the monthlies at the local comic shop, as well. I don't remember much about it, but I remember thinking it was "cool" and I'd like to have watched more of it Razz

I'm sure it's one of those shows that I'll watch again, after remembering watching it soooo long ago, and like Bubblegum Crisis, realize I don't like it as much as I thought I did way back then ^^.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I saw Guyver last year over summer break. I borrowed the VHS's from my friend. Guyver was very good and had a lot of action in it. The newer version they made of it was also real good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:00 am Reply with quote
I saw Guyver a few months ago and i really liked, too bad that it didn't have a real ending to the series but i think it is still very good.
Personally, i liked the series better than that OVA alternative story they made up
wolfsong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I saw it in the mid 90's when it came to europe. I liked the story of the first 6 episodes. But then it felt like they tried to take a story of maybe 15 episodes and produce it in 6.... it just felt like much was missing and they rushed mush just the get the fights in...

Saw the movie "Mutronics" with Mark HAmill and more.... it wasn't as good, clearly. But it was better then I thought it would be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:56 pm Reply with quote
not only was the guyver responsible for my re-interest in anime (circa 1993), but it also spawned countless imitations; i.e BAOH,DETONATOR ORGUN and my newest fav THE SOULTAKER.

among the superdeformed spiked hair martial artists (cough dragonball z cough) and tons of mecha, guyver renivented the anime superhero genre and i'm damn glad too. Twisted Evil
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:16 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Guyver renivented the anime superhero genre and I'm damn glad too. Twisted Evil

As cool as Guyver is, I don't think it "reinvented the anime superhero genre." There are and have been many other heroes that have done more or the same.

You have your opinion, and that's good. I just don't think saying Guyver is the sole and responsible reason anime superheroes were "reinvented." On top of the fact that the series is only 12 episodes long,

spoiler[ Shou's power only came to him by accident.]

Whereas other heroes could probably do better on inner strength and will power alone, and not some Bio Booster Armor from outer space. I disagree with you, but welcome you to the forum! Wink
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:47 am Reply with quote
well to be honest, i have'nt seen much of the superheroesque genre since the stuff from tatsunoko (gatchaman,polymar etc.)
but be that as it may, when i use the term "superhero genre" i mean more or less costumed individuals with super powers who for the most part are measured against thier american comicbook counterparts.

although manga based heros were inspried from american comicbooks/strips, i tend to find their characters cooler, because they're (anime) are not 1 dimentional goody two shoes
i.e. superman and even batman (before miller rewrote history with the dark night and year one series.)

these guys actually kill off their enemies and sometimes get killed off themselves.

spoiler[ in the final epidsode of gatchaman, they perished on an exploding planet.as memory serves me.]

like i also said, it's refreshing to see more costumed anime heros instead of the typical mecha,silly comedies and naughty tentacles. lol
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:14 am Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
and naughty tentacles

You know, everybody says that all Hentai is just tentacles but, as many Hentai as I have seen, I've yet to see one. And I've been looking for it too, damn it.
TF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:22 pm Reply with quote
i don't think that guyver reinvented the mecha-animations and so, that was something evangelion did (i'm not a very big fan of it but i give it credit for that achievement).

But i believe you have a point when you say that Guyver, and other anime like Tekkaman Blade, got people interested in mecha-anime.

Though both series stated above (TB and guyver) have old animation level if you compare it to todays standards, i still think that they give you a bit of that old retro feeling and that gives a surplus to those series (not to mention that the plot of the series is very good Smile )
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:41 pm Reply with quote
TF wrote:
i don't think that guyver reinvented the mecha-animations and so, that was something evangelion did (i'm not a very big fan of it but i give it credit for that achievement).
)

i personally was refering to the superheroesque kind of anime, but mecha is one of my favorite genres as well. but i personally can't get into garasaki,rayzephon or evangelion (however the end of evangelion was kinda cool except for the last 30 seconds.) the aformentioned titles tend to drag the story, while sacrificing action sequences.

i'll stick to old school/new school mecha like go nagai's getter robo and mazinkaiser. both series have a fair blend of story,action and a lil' humor here and there.
joeasakurajr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:27 am Reply with quote
Ahh, yes, "Bio-Booster Armor Guyver". The theme song sounded like a car commercial, but the series itself was not half bad, I thought. I was a major fan back when this first was released and still enjoy it today. Then again I am a sucker for armor period (Sauron in the LOTR movies, the armor designs in John Boorman's "Excalibur", to cite two major faves of mine). The animation is pretty crude and the American voice acting obnoxious, but the style is there. And I think that the Guyver just plain LOOKS cool, as well as liking Yoshiki Takaya's idea of how the armor is incredibly, insanely powerful, but you are not 100% safe in it because it is sentient and will eat you alive if given the opportunity. A double-edged sword, to say the least.

The live action movies, well, the first I've nto yet seen and am in no hurry to see it given how I've universally heard it sucks out loud. I own the second one, and find it an excellent adaptation for the budget, especially the fight scenes and CGI. there is one scene where the man who is the Guyver leaps from a cliff and morphs into armored form in one long, uninterrupted shot from the bottom of the cliff that gets me screaming with delight every time! The Guyver is a nice alternative to cutesy kiddie stuff, and since I prefer the old school anime anyway, as well as enjoying Go Nagai's work (flawed as it is) quite a bit, of course I like it still.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yidaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:31 am Reply with quote
I just love Guyver. Smile
But I'm no direhard fan.
I've seen the short series (13 eps?) and one of the live-action movies (english, eww Very Happy)

reminds me alot of Genocyber, which kicks ass Wink

seems to be alot of rumours, that the series was in fact 110 episodes long, but never released in USA.
but i dont have a clue.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2