• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So how famous are these Japanese voice actors really?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delpheno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I heard that in Japan, video game designers have a near celebrity like status. How about Japanese voice actors? Are they as big as regular movie stars in Japan?

Compared to the United States, almost none of its video game designers are celebrity like, and the English voice cast on video games and animes are not as huge except for the fanbase.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, a lot of times voice actors/actresses cover both anime and video games. They are held in high esteem especially within the otaku communities, but another thing as to why they might be famous could be due to other roles they might have had, such as J-dramas or movies. I think it depends on who you are talking about.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I think they're fairly well respected, but not super well known. I mean, they probably don't spend much time on talk shows or anything. Maybe something like credited stage performers in the US?
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't think voice acting will ever get much recognition in the USA outside of whenever a Hollywood celeb lends their voice to the next big feature from Disney, Dreamworks, or Pixar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
houkoholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
Delpheno wrote:
I heard that in Japan, video game designers have a near celebrity like status. How about Japanese voice actors? Are they as big as regular movie stars in Japan?

No, no and no.

Video game designers are not celebrities, anywhere. You can name really big names like Kojima and Miyamoto in Japan but I can also give you Cliffy B and John Carmark etc in the states - yeah they are respected in their *own* industry and people who are deeply interested in the industry, but no they are nowhere near the type of attention grabbers general celebrities like movie stars get. These guys easily blend into a line at MacDonalds and you wouldn't know them. Yet you try blending in if you're Tom Cruise or Sam J - won't happen.

Same deal with voice actors. Only really hardcore voice actor fans can pick them out. A lot of voice actors in Japan communte on trains (easily confirmable on their blogs) - can you imagine that for a true movie star? They are not recongnized at all outside of the voice actors fans, heck even a large portion of anime fans don't even look into voice actors.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I think they're fairly well respected, but not super well known. I mean, they probably don't spend much time on talk shows or anything. Maybe something like credited stage performers in the US?

I saw Romi Paku on an NHK show once. I'm not sure, but I think it's a show about cute/amazing pets. I don't think it's a big show, but I guess she's well known enough to be invited on a show that has nothing to do with anime. I also saw some show with the lead voice actors of Saiunkoku Monogatari (I can only remember Tomokazu Seki though). They talked about the anime, did some sample voice acting, talked about the anime some more, etc I remember that there were a lot of people in the audience so I guess, there are voice actors more popular (or I guess mainstream) than others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Of course, it happens in some cases over here too, for example the cast of The Simpsons make appearances in places from time to time. They even did "Inside the Actor's Studio". It's not common though.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
well here we have people whose voice can be picked out like cree summer and tara strong or something but no one is super famous really. So in comparison I think that japanese voice actors are more famous but I think that they are a lot less famous than say ayumi hamasaki or something.
abynormal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Like others have said, they'll be well-known inside the industry and by diehard fans, but unless they also get a lot of work on popular TV and movies, they won't really be celebrities as we know the term.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1