• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best/worst anime closures.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naitron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:01 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if someone posted something like this before or not. If someone has than my apologies but here we go anyways./

I want to know your personal opinion about how great or a disappointing a certain ending was for you. I'm not talking about the storyline or how it ended but rather how they closed up the show. There have been some shows where I absolutely loved but just ended abruptly without closure. So i guess the main question is how content did you feel about getting that closure to your favorite or least favorite shows? Also a quick non spoiler reason if possible.

Best:
Infinite Ryvius - Loved how they took one whole episode to give you closure about the characters and story.

Worst:
The Twelve Kingdoms - Absolutely one of my favorite Anime shows. Lets say there's a lot of acts in this series with closures. However the story as a whole will need to be finished in a book.

Last Exile - I forgot why but I loved this show however the ending gave me a bad taste. I believe I felt it was too abruptly over.

Heroic Legend of Arislan: Pretty much I believe there is an ending in the Manga/book but it's not coming to America. I love this show but it doesn't look like hte manga or original book will be translated into English anytime soon ;(
Oh Jam!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
Bad Endings

Elfen Lied - anyone who's watched this series will know what I mean.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - even with the addition of the OVA's after the series went bust, hamfisted poorly realised existentialism isn't my idea of closure.

Berserk - yeah, yeah I know the manga has the complete ending but that doesn't excuse the fact that the anime should have as well.

Good Endings
Cowboy Bebop - two words for you, Film Noir. Excellently realised and executed.

Excel Saga - just in case your brain hadn't leaked out your ears.

Grave of the Fireflies - the only cartoon to make me shed a tear.

Last edited by Oh Jam! on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
Naitron wrote:

Worst:
The Twelve Kingdoms - Absolutely one of my favorite Anime shows. Lets say there's a lot of acts in this series with closures. However the story as a whole will need to be finished in a book.

Last Exile - I forgot why but I loved this show however the ending gave me a bad taste. I believe I felt it was too abruptly over.

Heroic Legend of Arislan: Pretty much I believe there is an ending in the Manga/book but it's not coming to America. I love this show but it doesn't look like hte manga or original book will be translated into English anytime soon ;(

I couldn't agree more.

Juuni Kokki deserve to be continued I hope maybe in the future when people get bored of Bleach or Naruto Studio Pierrot will return to Juuni Kokki and animate the rest of the story. I know it's wishful thinking.

Best:
Princess Tutu I love how this anime managed to have spoiler[happy] but at the same time non-clichéd ending.

Ending that was a let-down:
Inuyasha - I felt a bit cheated I watched the whole series and everything I get was series without ending. I know manga is already finished I have already seen the ending from manga but I don't think it was much better.
guet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:51 am Reply with quote
The ending of a series is kind of important to me. It really seems like a bit of a let down when you follow a series expecting to be told a story in it's entirety, and are left to "figure it out on your own".

Recently the one that annoyed me the most was probably Macross Plus. I kept hearing how great the show is, and that it is the be all end all to the Macross franchise. While I loved the music and the animation, to me it did not have much of an ending at all, and that definatly left a negitive impression on my overall view of the series.

If done right a somewhat open ending can be good, I'm just not sure why sometimes I'm alright with it, and other times I am not. I had no problems with the ending to Ergo Proxy for example.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
Oh Jam! wrote:
Bad Endings

Unnecessarily symbolic and ambiguous, yes. Bad? I disagree. The Anime may not have specifically had a "proper" ending, but it did provide enough closure to that which needed it (the minor characters, mostly). For Kouta and Lucy/Nyu, an ambiguous ending isn't a travesty. I got from it a sense of hope, a taste of a bright future. As for the plot, Elfen Lied was never about plot anyway. It was about redemption and guilt and forgiveness, and questioning whether the thirst to kill stems from instinct or from being shunned by society.
gasteropod

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
guet wrote:
Recently the one that annoyed me the most was probably Macross Plus. I kept hearing how great the show is, and that it is the be all end all to the Macross franchise. While I loved the music and the animation, to me it did not have much of an ending at all, and that definatly left a negitive impression on my overall view of the series.

In its re-edited 'Movie' edition, the ending is slightly extended to include the two characters speaking on top of a roof. I prefer the OVA, though (if only because the Manga R2 DVD has very poor picture quality on the movie edition) but I agree the ending is sadly cut short.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Best: I can't really say, if a show really gets to me, then the ending leaves me wanting more, but in a good way.

Worst: Mahoromatic. I think my biggest mistake was forgetting that Gainax had a hand in creating this show. Even given that from the very first episode you know that the main character will die, the final episode of the second season is enough of a screw job that I would never recommend this series to anyone. As I told someone else when asked about this series, It was like having a really good day only to come home and find everyone you ever cared about dead. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
Oh Jam! wrote:
Bad Endings

No, I most definitely don't. I pretty much agree with everything dtm said about it, except that I don't think it's even very ambiguous.

Good Ending

Gurren Lagann
I liked that spoiler[a happy ending wasn't jammed down our throats, and that we see the heroes stepped aside for future generations to grow and surpass them.]

Bad Ending

Kare Kano (AKA His and Her Circumstances)
Made bad by the complete lack of an actual ending in the midst of rising action and completely unresolved plot issues.

I've heard that Berserk does the same (or a similar) thing, but I've never seen it.
Ithy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Chrono Crusade has one of the best endings imo:

spoiler[It's been so long since i watched it, that all i really remember is chrono and rosette dies. Even though i kinda knew it would happend, from all the mentions in the "trying not to cry" thread. The ending still hit me like a freight train.]

Also, all of Aria the origination was a fantastic ending to Aria. But i really wish it would continue spoiler[with Akari as a prima, and Ai as her new trainee]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Inuyasha

Easily the worst ending EVER. They don't even leave it on a cliffhanger. They animate all the good guys in a happy pappy dream-like sequence with J-pop and literally tell the audience "Thank you for your support in watching the show all these years. Please continue to support us and look forward to more [whatever shit word they use] in the future! (~fade out J-pop) --> ending credits."

At least Ranma 1/2 wasn't surprising. I mean, I didn't expect anything to ever happen there. The whole series was just slapstick martial arts and gag jokes anyway. But InuYasha had a pretty cool story when they stuck to the whole Naraku thing. What freakin' waste of my time...
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Best
Princess Tutu-I liked how the ending felt complete for one thing. The next thing is that the ending managed to not be cliche (as Aylinn said earlier), but I found it both happy and sad, much like most of the classical music they played throughout the series. Its in my top 3 series for a reason.

Tokyo Godfathers-sure, this movie abused deus ex machina things all the time, but it was part of the show. It had a totally happy-go-lucky ending where everything works out for everyone in the end.

Astro Boy 2003. I mostly mean the last 6 episodes here, as the rest wasn't tied together with and overall story for most of the series, and the 1980 version certainly wasn't either. I don't think they aired the last 6 episodes for Astro Boy 2003 in America, but its on the DVDs. I have noted this as being a really good way to end a series, and I've been meaning to rewatch the ending (I'm in the middle of the series now), but it tied together a lot of the themes from the whole show. I especially liked Astro's line along the lines of spoiler["Maybe they aren't afraid of us because we're different, maybe they're afraid of us because we're the same (us=robots)]. Its hard to describe, but I guess I'd say the ending felt rewarding.

I can't think of any really bad ones right now, I'll get back to that later. I would say Inuyasha, but I honestly stopped caring long before the ending.
Oh Jam!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No, I most definitely don't. I pretty much agree with everything dtm said about it, except that I don't think it's even very ambiguous.

spoiler[A bloody horn arcing in the air and a shadow at the door is hardly what I would consistute as an ending.] It was exacerbated even further by the very sudden and jarring increase in tempo and pacing, of which until the last two episodes I thought was spot on.
It simply reeked of the whole lack of funding/manga storyline has ran out scenario which unfortunately is not a isolated incident (Inuyasha, Berserk, the list goes on). I for one like to have some closure in endings, it doesn't have to be completely cut and dry. Some ambiguity can be very fitting, but not at the expense of the overall theme or pacing of the series.

Oh just thought of another good ending. Ninja Scroll, how do you defeat an almost invincible regenerating ninja? spoiler[Headbutt his face into a fine paste and then entomb him in molten gold.] Of course, why didn't I think of that?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Since you said best "closure," rather than best "ending."

BEST

Fullmetal Alchemist and Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo both knew how to give the audience a well-needed breather in their final episodes. Both had a gentleness to them that followed episodes and episodes of heart-rending intensity, but they weren't band-aid endings either, and not everything was perfectly solved, just the stuff we cared about. (I personally think that FMA never needed a movie for additional closure, and it had an excellent ending anyway, but I do enjoy the movie, so I can't knock it for giving me two more hours of my favorite show. Very Happy)

I also loved that both shows encored their cast members in the end credits. For FMA it was a "where are they now" kind of catchup for everybody while Alphonse gave his great closing speech, and Gankutsuou featured a literal "casting call" with all our redemptive characters and their VAs (all the really bad guys were curiously left out) as an extended version of the opener lilted through the conclusion. You really almost wanted to clap as if it were a play or something.

WORST

Evangelion. The "End of Evangelion" film, which I only saw recently and didn't really enjoy much, helped only a smidgen, but probably caused more problems than it solved, because it only made room for MORE fan conjecture about what is arguably a series about nothing pretending to be everything. -.-'

The original ending itself, as I've argued, may make you feel like things are all going to be okay, but how did it get there? Shinji spoiler[spends two straight episodes ruminating on entirely random images and scenarios after a long depression and SOMEHOW that helps him come to terms with himself, and everybody cheers him on as he pulls out of his depression? Uh uh. Personally, given how plot-centric the series had been up to that point, I need something less abstract to convince me that the ending wasn't a crapshoot pulled together at the last minute by frustrated writers and a manic-depressive director. It was contrived and ridiculous and didn't really mean anything.]

Berserk's "ending" is a travesty. There are 25 episodes. A 26th, even released as an OVA, could wrap up the series succinctly, seeing as spoiler[in the anime, Griffith is already king, and in the manga he is not, so we have a lot more to go. A final confrontation between him and Guts along with an allusion as to what happened to Caska is fully in reach in another 20 minutes. But they don't do it. WHY?!] It would be so easy to end the show, and it's especially frustrating because up to that point, Berserk was one of the most well-plotted, well-written engaging serial stories I've ever seen, anime or no anime. And they screw it all up in the last two episodes...
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
Worst: Mahoromatic. I think my biggest mistake was forgetting that Gainax had a hand in creating this show. Even given that from the very first episode you know that the main character will die, the final episode of the second season is enough of a screw job that I would never recommend this series to anyone. As I told someone else when asked about this series, It was like having a really good day only to come home and find everyone you ever cared about dead. Evil or Very Mad

Can't disagree more. I didn't find the end of the second season to be a "screw job" at all; in fact, I thought it was very appropriate and even a bit touching. Gainax didn't take the cheap way out, and events proceeded logically from what was established earlier in the series. While I wouldn't call it a great ending, I do consider it a good one.

I realize I'm in the minority opinion about this, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
This is a difficult topic to post on... but hmm I defiantly don't have a best and worst... but there are endings i loved and endings that i thought really wern't grade A or B endings...

I really disliked the ending of the whole Saiyuki franchise (all 3 of them)... the last one's ending Gunlocked I was soo excited to see them spoiler[ get to India and see what they could do there, and what would happen... afterall we dealt with travelling with them for like 50 episodes (it was funny though) but then they just end it without them getting there... ] a dissapointment indeed for me at least...

I disliked the veerrrrry end of E's Otherwise as well... as a general thing, i don't like it when they end a dramatic ending right before the end... like there was spoiler[ a major "ultimate" fight thing going on, and then they just dissapear... and they call off the psychic research ] i don't like that, i wanted to see more, so to speak.

I really remember liking X (TV)'s ending but i have completely forgotten why by now, i watched it a long time ago...

I also liked Noein's ending quite a bit, becuase it was just so complete and it was nice and after a storyline like that, it needed one, and it sure did it. It delivered an ending that i thought i'd always remember, but .... yeah, i guess not, but it was still a very good one.

Oh Jam! wrote:
Bad Endings

I on the other hand very much liked the ending in Elfen Lied... i tried thinking why one might not like it, but i just can't imagine it. I really liked the ending a lot becuase not only did it leave with that question, Who is that? But the overall ending 2 episodes were just really dramatic and exciting and fun to watch.

Oh Jam! wrote:
spoiler[A bloody horn arcing in the air and a shadow at the door is hardly what I would consistute as an ending.]

This is a sentence i just cannot ignore. Those two elements right there are what i liked so much. Although earlier in my post i said i dont' like endings that aren't complete, i thought this one was complete in its own way. It ended not just with no verrry ending, it gave you clues in which you could probably get a good idea of it...
spoiler[I mean the fact that the clock that nyu always worked to fix started working right before that woman came to the door... and her general outline... i don't know i think it's just so great how they did that.] I just guess we have rather opposing viewpoints about it.

Lastly, since i'm naming too many, i liked the ending of Fantastic Children But i'm also forgetting why .

-Elfen12- sorry i was forgetting why i liked the endings that i did
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7