• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi's Kyoto Animation to Produce Tonari no 801-chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lllwtflll

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Guys, the article just says they've picked up this anime and are slated to produce and release it sometime in 2009. Nowhere does it say that Haruhi 2 has been put on the backburner once again to make room for this.

If you Haruhi fans remember, there was an article a couple of months ago stating that it was likely that Haruhi would air at the end of 2008, as the copyright dates on the Japanese site read 2007, 2008, 2009. Couple this with the fact that Haruhi season 2 pics recently appeared in the July issue of Newtype in Japan - including the shot of Haruhi on the cover.

It's obvious that KyoAni is already hard at work on Haruhi 2. It's just my own theory, but I believe their release schedule will go like this: First, Clannad After Story; then the "disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya", then this project.

As for FMP 2 - you might have to wait a few years. KyoAni has never once stated that they would be working on another season of FMP. Pressure from the fans might force them to make another season down the line, but that'll be later rather than sooner.
domino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm someone who loves KyoAni's animation skill but hates the shows they produce because the whole moe thing creeps me out and anything by Key terrifies me, but I'm really looking forward to this. The amount of comments here that are just crying for more Haruhi or FMP instead makes me sad. Try something new.

Tonari no 801-chan is both hilarious and based on reality. The original manga is a comic found on the author's blog as he talks about his everyday life dating a fangirl. It has a LOT of subtle anime references, though, so you need to know your stuff to enjoy it. 801chan has also become a rather famous symbol in the otaku community, so if anything it will at least make fans abroad more aware of that little green monster that pops up on everything from websites to fan events to clothing. I see a lot of 801chan keychains as some sort of discreet symbol of fangirl pride, haha...
sailorsean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Uh oh... sounds to me like this is going to become another hyped show... but it's ok... but still im tired of waiting of more news for haruhi season 2 and clannad after story Sad
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
skyler25 wrote:
darcerin wrote:
Please tell me I'm wrong about this sounding like the stupidest premise ever for a manga or anime?

Well, there have been worse- or, wait, have there?

What about that series about the soda can fairies? I forgot the title, but... that's worse than green gremlin monsters...
PrincessofVampires

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Although this show sounds interesting, I'd much rather have more Haruhi. >.>
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
skyler25 wrote:
law240 wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

It's fine if it's bizzare but...

KyoAni has many other things it should focus on... Haruhi, the Key titles and Full Metal Panic.

And to the person who made the comment about Key being crap, just... Please shut up. You don't like it, that's fine. But there are a decent portion of anime fans who love the melodrama in their series. It's not crap, it's a series of works YOU DON'T LIKE.

This series just is too off from what KyoAni has been doing already. I know, we're supposed to venture outside our comfort zone but there is one primary thing I'm comfortable with this animation group and that is their quality of work. Be it the well written scripts for Lucky Star (Again, not crap, just not to your liking) or the high end glossy appearances given to the Key/Visual Arts animes, this just doesn't seem high quality.

...But most importantly, just... Put out Haruhi 2 already. The plot actually will get good once you've aired it, please, for the love of god, JUST FREAKING FINISH AND AIR IT ALREADY.

And this is coming from a non-rabid fan of the show. I just wanna see it done already.

Never said anything was "crap" I am just upset about how you all are reacting to the news of new an anime that isn't the usual otaku bait (though that's yet to be confirmed) anyhow I really hate when new ideas are trounced by comments like this.

How I see it, you all are behaving like children who love pizza and chicken nuggets for dinner but the night your mom serves you something different you throw a huge whinny fit before you even taste damn thing and i really dislike that kind narrow attitude.

I think the "It's not crap" thing was aimed at walw6pK4Alo.

Also, I think most people are upset/annoyed not because this is something different, but because they want KyoAni to finish what it started.

This is EXACTLY my point. Haruhi has been in a hell of delays for OVER a year now, I believe we're entering the SECOND year that it was confirmed to have a sequel, and yet we still lack it.

Kyoto Animation is not doing what a studio should do. It just seems, in the eyes of a fan of their works, a bad business move.

And also, the It's not crap thing was not geared towards Skyler, it was aimed at the person who gave the exact word, crap, as their description of their Key anime adaptations. I apologize if it seemed as such but I would only make such a statement if I had the grounds to back it up.

This may end up being a case of press release reactions but I don't know... Deep down, don't we all want to have something predictable?

And this seems to be more of a mockery of a brand of otaku, rather than a parody. Lucky Star's jokes were very pleasant and relate-able. I could admit that there were traits in there one would find in an american or japanese culture anime fan. But come on, a girl turns into a green puffball monster when her fandom kicks in? That's almost saying it's like... A BAD thing when a fan acts like a fan.

That's all. I said it earlier though, I could be making a bad judgement but halfway through reading it, I just couldn't help but think, "...And this is supposed to be material for a comedy anime? Why not try something else? This sounds like a horrible japanese spin on gremlins with an unnecessary otaku reference tossed in..."

And as much as I'm not 'fond' of the BL crowd, I don't see any need to compare them to monsters. Maybe shrill, screaming harpies (Come on, everyone here's heard a 'fangirl' scream at some point in their life, right?), but by no means a MONSTER.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
I'm someone who loves KyoAni's animation skill but hates the shows they produce because the whole moe thing creeps me out and anything by Key terrifies me, but I'm really looking forward to this. The amount of comments here that are just crying for more Haruhi or FMP instead makes me sad. Try something new.

Tonari no 801-chan is both hilarious and based on reality. The original manga is a comic found on the author's blog as he talks about his everyday life dating a fangirl. It has a LOT of subtle anime references, though, so you need to know your stuff to enjoy it. 801chan has also become a rather famous symbol in the otaku community, so if anything it will at least make fans abroad more aware of that little green monster that pops up on everything from websites to fan events to clothing. I see a lot of 801chan keychains as some sort of discreet symbol of fangirl pride, haha...

Well, let's look at it this way:

-The FMP fans are crying out cause they haven't had anything since what, 04? 05? I forget when TSR aired.

-The Haruhi fans are whining because their show has been in development hell or so it seems

-And the Key fans just wanna see Clannad After Story, without hearing something that might make them think "Ugh, are you guys gonna slack off on this because you're working on this new anime at the same time?"

I mean, it really all is a reasonable issue. Why announce another new anime? They've already got two active projects... I mean seriously, why announce a third? Not to mention the Lucky Star OVA hasn't released yet. Razz

You tell us to try something new when it truth, we shouldn't have to. Sure our complaining here on a forum probably has no real effect on the news but hey, isn't this what the whole thread is for? The community feedback on the news?
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

And this seems to be more of a mockery of a brand of otaku, rather than a parody. Lucky Star's jokes were very pleasant and relate-able. I could admit that there were traits in there one would find in an american or japanese culture anime fan. But come on, a girl turns into a green puffball monster when her fandom kicks in? That's almost saying it's like... A BAD thing when a fan acts like a fan.

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, I can tell you've never even typed "tonari no 801-chan" into a search engine. There is absolutely nothing offensive about this series. 801's "monster" mode is treated just as endearingly as her normal mode, and it's obvious her boyfriend loves her no matter what her hobbies are.

Really, when the news article makes it a point to link to the original 801-chan blog, there is absolutely NO excuse for this sort of ridiculous hyperbole about how terribly offensive this series muuuuust be.

For that matter, those of you Haruhi fans and FMP fans that are whining--and I want more FMP and Haruhi too--would do well to check out that link also before dismissing it out of hand as crap. Honestly, anime fans are [expletive] ridiculous sometimes.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
kirbyboy102 wrote:
skyler25 wrote:
darcerin wrote:
Please tell me I'm wrong about this sounding like the stupidest premise ever for a manga or anime?

Well, there have been worse- or, wait, have there?

What about that series about the soda can fairies? I forgot the title, but... that's worse than green gremlin monsters...

...aww, you beat me!!!!
Are you talking about the same series that's a harem except all the girl's transformed from soda cans?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this reminds of a manga I read today, the title was named Kasami. Although most the characters fit did fit the typical sterotypes, not all of them did.

An example is; the strong, popular yet emotionless cool guy, the silent, yet apparently stronger than she looks type, the otaku with glasses that is friendly, the determined, kind girl with a magical powers, the meek librarian type girl and the typipcal jelious, mean spirtied girl.

Yet, despite the sterotypes, out of the three books I read today, this book at the most potential for me to continue to read.

This is off topic but, Carlos Santos wasn't kidding when he said the manga version of Kujbiki Unbalance was average. I only recomend anyone read that only if these fans really like Kujibiki Unbalance.
baltered

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
law240 wrote:
god damn it why did you start watching anime huh?!

This anime actually sounds really fun.

why is it that now-a-days anything out the your otaku plot comfort zone why do you people put up your guards and request things that are already done and gone >_>?

IT's ANIME GODDAMN IT! it's suppose to be strange and bizarre ARRGGHH!!!

Honestly I don't know much about this new series, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Haruhi 2 would have been more creative and interesting than Awkward Otaku Yaoi Romance Story.
skyler25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
domino wrote:

Well, let's look at it this way:

-The FMP fans are crying out cause they haven't had anything since what, 04? 05? I forget when TSR aired.

-The Haruhi fans are whining because their show has been in development hell or so it seems

-And the Key fans just wanna see Clannad After Story, without hearing something that might make them think "Ugh, are you guys gonna slack off on this because you're working on this new anime at the same time?"

I mean, it really all is a reasonable issue. Why announce another new anime? They've already got two active projects... I mean seriously, why announce a third? Not to mention the Lucky Star OVA hasn't released yet. Razz

You tell us to try something new when it truth, we shouldn't have to. Sure our complaining here on a forum probably has no real effect on the news but hey, isn't this what the whole thread is for? The community feedback on the news?

THANK YOU.

Also, speaking of Key/Clannad fans, am I the only one who is excited about the possibility of a Little Busters anime? Everywhere I look people seem to be condemning it... then again I'm not looking too hard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
I want KyoAni to give us more FMP or Haruhi goodness.

I would like more Full Metal Panic, and Haruhi also. Haruhi has a new season already, and I'm sure another Full Metal Panic will get announced within a year.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
This is like the ultimate in otaku bait. It's about a yaoi fangirl and her otaku boyfriend for god's sake. If we could throw in a moe magical girl it would be a perfect storm of almost everything embarrassing, disdainful, and generally "otaku" there is to find in anime and its subculture.

And this is anything but "different" by KyoAni standards.

Doesn't mean it's going to be crap, mind. It's been ten years since I watched Maze, at this point I've pretty much decided that "basic high-concept appeal" and "quality of execution" are entirely orthogonal.

What matters, far more often, is the staff attached; good staff can turn the most dubious [or even horrible, see "maze" above] concept into unadulterated win, crap staff can take the best possible ideas and turn it into a 44-gallon drum full of shite. KyoAni have a decent reputation for turning dubious into watchable-to-good.

Meanwhile, Gonzo can't even make something watchable out of Romeo and Juliet. [... and now I want to see Gainax do the tempest...]
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Meanwhile, Gonzo can't even make something watchable out of Romeo and Juliet. [... and now I want to see Gainax do the tempest...]

Although, imo, they did a hell of a job on Gankutsuou! That was the first version of the Count of Monte Cristo I could get into, with or without CG rocketships.

Wait, is Gainax planning to adapt the Tempest? That . . . I could get excited about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4