• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now and Then, Here and There and its SciFi broadcast.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Now and Then, Here and There

Well, there wasn't any edits that I could see with the first two episodes. I am disappointed that we don't get to listen to the soothing ED song. It's also hard to get used to all the commercial breaks.

Still, so far so good. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, is cut.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Well, there wasn't any edits that I could see with the first two episodes. I am disappointed that we don't get to listen to the soothing ED song. It's also hard to get used to all the commercial breaks.

Still, so far so good. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, is cut.

Sci-fi Channel looks pretty tolerable on violent content judging from what I've seen from the few movies I seen on it with the crappy Sword of Truth and Ghost in the Shell, though they're antsy with nudity seeing as such shots are blurred at the certain parts. It seems kind of dull, especially since I would have thought rear nudity could have at least been tolerable considering the late night time slot the block runs at and the fact cartoons like Family Guy, Simpsons, and even Rugrats can get rear nudity without a censor blocking their butts.

But seriously, I'm thinking NaTHaT should be able to get by okay considering its violent content is nothing compared to what was seen in Sword of Truth. If that kind of content got by alright, then the violence in NaTHaT shouldn't get butchered by the censors in any way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
In all the time I've owned the N&T, H&T boxset, I've somehow only managed to watch it once. The show popping up on Sci-Fi now is really good timing, since I'm long overdue for a re-watch, since a good chunk of the storyline has slipped my mind.

My feelings on it haven't changed over the years. Once the ball gets rolling near the end of the first episode, I was glued to the screen once again. How exactly will the children be affected, given their soldiers, and especially Boo? Why does Hamdo want Lala-ru's pendant (and the water contained therein) so badly? Will Shu ever win a kendo match, despite his awesomely strange style? Razz

Other things...

Hamdo: Yep, this is a guy to steer clear of. spoiler[From the first time he appears (speaking over an intercom with Abelia), he goes into a troubling rage when he learns Lala-ru's pendant has gone missing. Just the sound of Hamdo snapping a cat's neck in reply to the news was quite disconcerting.]

I must say something about Jack Taylor, the voice actor who portrayed Hamdo. Hamdo's clearly wrong in the head, and there's a line that, when crossed, makes anyone playing such a character sound unrealistic. Taylor not only refuses to cross the line, he also somehow manages to portray Hamdo perfectly. I really enjoyed his work as Hamdo in this series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
I've owned this series on DVD for years, so I didn't really need to watch it, but I was too lazy to change the station and noticed something that really bothered me. No, not the dub. That's decent, at least (I like Rachel Lillis as Boo and Sis in this dub). It's the fact that they skipped the first scene of the series for time.

The first scene, if you don't recall, is supposed to be Shu running downstairs to have breakfast, and his sister teasing him about talking in his sleep. It plays into the situation afterwards where he wants to ask out this girl, but she's more interested in his kendo partner. It may not be a remarkably important scene overall, but skipping any scenes is intolerable.

That and the constant commercials bothered me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quote
Ah, yes I thought that the beginning was abrupt. I totally forgot about that first scene, and I just saw this 2 years ago. Embarassed

One aspect to this series that has always fascinated me is how absolutely misleading the mood and tone of the first episode is compared to the rest of the series. The early signs of viciousness of some of the characters really hit me over the head the first time I watched this. Especially how Tabool treats Lala-Ru when they first capture her.

Finally, seeing Sara spoiler[curled up and whimpering in the corner] at the end of ep. 2 gave me chills.
wizardz199

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching that anime on AZN television and I was blown away. It has reached the status of being one of the greatest anime of all time and I am glad to hear it is on Sci-Fi. I dont know how much they will edit from the series, but it is still an epic masterpeice and I hope the network treats it as such. I dont think I can watch it agian... It's just too depressing...[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I have always thought that the closer for NTHT was one of the series' most critical components, as you need that gentle come-down at the end after the raw emotional intensity in some of the upcoming episodes, and the episodes usually segue into it very smoothly. Sci Fi Channel may be making a mistake by shifting that into the background.

Honestly, I am still quite surprised Sci Fi Channel chose this one to pick up, as while it may initially appear to be in the same style as other series they've aired, it really isn't. This is such a wonderful series, though, that I'm happy to see it get this additional exposure.

If they're going to edit anything, it will be in the next episode and one later one (9, maybe, where spoiler[the little kid is running around pantless?)]. I will be very curious to see first-timer viewer commentary on this one as it plays out.

And if you haven't seen it before: ep 2 is just the warm-up. It only gets rougher from here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's the fact that they skipped the first scene of the series for time.

The first scene, if you don't recall, is supposed to be Shu running downstairs to have breakfast, and his sister teasing him about talking in his sleep. It plays into the situation afterwards where he wants to ask out this girl, but she's more interested in his kendo partner. It may not be a remarkably important scene overall, but skipping any scenes is intolerable.

I thought something was wrong with how it started, I just couldn't put my finger on it. It's been a while since I first watched this gem of an anime, so I had completely forgotten about that opening scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I think it was sci-fi that aired street fighter II movie, and I recall they cut out the swearing. So i doubt they'll keep the more intense scenes in.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
I think it was sci-fi that aired street fighter II movie, and I recall they cut out the swearing. So i doubt they'll keep the more intense scenes in.

If it's adult themes and violence, then I wouldn't see Sci-fi butchering it. Nudity, on the otherhand, could get the traditional blurs. The method of censorship isn't too creative. They could have whipped out the digital paint like Cartoon Network would to add bikinis onto naked girls for shows like Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo.

Sci-fi's annoying habit of having abrupt commercials and putting the closing sequences in the background to advertise one of their shows or upcoming movies is also a big annoyance for me as well.

Oh, and would anyone agree with me that Hamdo has a disturbing physical resemblance to Hitler? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fullmetal biologist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I will be very curious to see first-timer viewer commentary on this one as it plays out.
And if you haven't seen it before: ep 2 is just the warm-up. It only gets rougher from here.

First timer, that's me. I'll admit to being a little shocked spoiler[at the torture. Shu was such a happy go lucky guy and to see him beaten up was painful. And Hamdo killing the cat was awful Crying or Very sad .] But I thought the quote by SciFi.com was informative: "a cruel series with a kindhearted message." So can I hope that good triumphs over evil?
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
fullmetal biologist wrote:
"a cruel series with a kindhearted message." So can I hope that good triumphs over evil?

I'm not going to intentionally give anything away, but I found the "message" to be rather surprising, and even somewhat arrogant.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
fullmetal biologist wrote:
First timer, that's me. I'll admit to being a little shocked spoiler[at the torture. Shu was such a happy go lucky guy and to see him beaten up was painful. And Hamdo killing the cat was awful Crying or Very sad .] But I thought the quote by SciFi.com was informative: "a cruel series with a kindhearted message." So can I hope that good triumphs over evil?

I'd describe it as a very dark and depressing series which keeps the viewer going through all of the brutality and ugliness with a faint but decided undercurrent of hope, which, as the series go on, is embodied in Shu. "Never give up, no matter how bad things get," is the personal philosophy he espouses and lives by, and it could be looked at as the underlying theme of the entire series. Things do get very bad, though.

Also, fair warning that this is (not unjustly) regarded as one of the most emotionally manipulative anime series ever made, but it's damn good at being emotionally manipulative. Few can watch its key episodes (including the next one) without having a very strong reaction to them, which is why not being able to hear the soothing closer is such a disappointment. As I say in my formal review of the title:

Quote:
This is a series which will shock and dismay you, at turns make you angry or uncomfortable or sad, and in a couple of places will quite probably break your heart.

Personally, the first time I watch this series, it took me about 20 minutes to fully recover at the end. No other series or movie, anime or otherwise, has ever gotten to me that bad before or since. And that's a big part of why I love and respect it so much.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
In all the time I've owned the N&T, H&T boxset, I've somehow only managed to watch it once. The show popping up on Sci-Fi now is really good timing, since I'm long overdue for a re-watch, since a good chunk of the storyline has slipped my mind.

My feelings on it haven't changed over the years. Once the ball gets rolling near the end of the first episode, I was glued to the screen once again. How exactly will the children be affected, given they're soldiers, and especially Boo? Why does Hamdo want Lala-ru's pendant (and the water contained therein) so badly? Will Shu ever win a kendo match, despite his awesomely strange style? Razz
I feel the same way about NTHT...I suppose I could dig up the DVDs and watch it again in parallel with the Sci-Fi broadcast to discuss it in this thread. I last saw NTHT in the summer of 2005, and every time I've thought of rewatching it, a vague sense of dread has filled me. Not because it's bad by any means, but because it's just such an emotionally heavy show. And not in the "I love crying over this anime" sense like Air/Rumbling Hearts/Chrono Crusade, either.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:50 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Personally, the first time I watch this series, it took me about 20 minutes to fully recover at the end. No other series or movie, anime or otherwise, has ever gotten to me that bad before or since. And that's a big part of why I love and respect it so much.

I thought I recall you saying else where that you had some sort of similar reaction to Barefoot Gen, am I mistaken? Perhaps not at the end however.

I for one am glad to be re-watching this show, it has been plenty of years between viewings for me, and I needed it. It really isn't a show I would want to watch frequently, although I could see wanting to own it, I never got around to it.

It is amazing to me how emotional a show this can be in so few episodes, it really is emotionally manipulative, but skillful in it and welcome somehow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8