• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Ouran High School Host Club Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised, the Funi Ouran website still says it's a day to go before it's announced there. Maybe they'll post a dubbed trailer or something.

Anyway, sounds like an interesting cast. I saw a Vic Mignogna panel at a con awhile back and heard him talking about how bad he wanted to be Tamaki, so good for him!

Best of all, the waiting will pay off! Thirteen episodes in the first set! Smile

Last edited by tasogarenootome on Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aiko Yamada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm one Risembool Ranger that isn't happy. I love Vic but I really did not want him to play Tamaki. The rest of the cast looks fab, though. I'm definitely looking forward to some boxsets. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
As someone who used to be a Risembool Ranger and has since gotten very frustrated with Vic's tendency to open his mouth and tick off a lot of people...not 100% sure how I feel about him being Tamaki, even though I knew he would be. I know he can do it, though--he pulled off Femio in the Princess Tutu dub, which is a very similar character, so as long as he doesn't go too over-the-top he'll do perfect with it.

That being said, I am EXCITED BEYOND WORDS that Greg Ayres is Kaoru--he was my main choice for that character, and I've always felt he could do Kaoru justice. I'm looking forward to the dub just to hear his performance.

As for the rest, I'm a big fan of Luci so I'm looking forward to hear how she handles Honey, and I think the rest of the cast will be able to step up to the plate (although I'm not familiar with all of them).

Ouran was the first (and so far only) series I've ever watched all the way through the fansubs of, so I'm really really looking forward to finally owning the series legally and hearing how the dub actors handle the characters I fell in love with. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they'll do the characters justice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Couldn't've said it better. Oh, but isn't Greg set up to play Kaoru? Sadly I haven't seen Holic dubbed yet so I haven't had the pleasure of hearing his work, but a Mr. Todd Haberkorn is listed to play Hikaru. (don't mean to be nit-picky or obnoxious, just thought I'd point it out)

Ah, I looked at it wrong. Either way, Greg is hilarious and adorable, he's perfect for either of the twins really. ;D

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
P.S. On a side note: may I join this league of "Risembool Rangers" of which you speak? I'm a die-hard fan of Winry and Ed's borderline-relationship sort of thing and I'd love to be apart of any fandom that supports it. Anime catgrin

The Risembool Rangers are actually a group of fans that support Vic Mignogna as a voice actor. ^^; Here's the link: www.risemboolrangers.com . It's basically a fanclub for Vic where you can learn a lot about him, what cons he attends, and such. If you go to that link, there's a link to the forums where you can join.

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I was so overjoyed when I saw Luci Christian is gonna be Honey-sempai. I fell in love with her young-boy voice as Wrath (FMA) and then again as Tetsunosuke (PMK) so I'm sure her playing the little third-year of the Host Club will be a perfect casting. I'm also excited that I haven't heard of many of the supporting cast members' VAs, and adding to the sweetest of it all with FUNi planning to release half-box sets at a time...

I agree! The box sets are going to save me a lot of money! Anime hyper I'm happy they're doing it. And Luci Christian as Hunny (Honey) is going to be so cute~

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I'm absolutely gonna buy 'em. No doubt. (even if I must go into debt) Hm... or birthday gifts? Anime hyper

Same here. Anime hyper We are very similar. I'll go into debt since my birthday's already past. haha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
So it's still a quarter of a year away? Well at least there is a date. I have been pretty interested in seeing this after dormcat said that I must. And that was a long time ago!

This one just doesn't scream blind to me, so will definitely have to wait and see if all the hubub is deserved.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Well it certainly took Funi awhile to announce this but you have to give them credit that the release is coming up relatively fast. And even better box sets right away.

I've been wondering when Funi would actually get around to implementing in a serious way their new box-set-centric approach announced quite some time back. While it may just have been clearing out the old thou-shalt-release-singles-first contracts, I am glad we are finally getting a chance to see how this effects the market.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
ALL RIGHT !!!!!!!!

GIVE'EM JUSTICE FUNimation, GIVE THEM JUSTICE!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to get this now!!!!
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Overall the cast list looks really great, though I have to say I can't imagine Glass as Haruhi. Granted, I've really only heard her singing the Peach Girl theme songs and as Yakumo on School Rumble, and neither of those voices are particularly Haruhi-ish. But I don't care for her as a voice actor period. Alas.

However I'm especially excited for Sabat as Casanov- er, Cassanoda.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Don't care about the dub, but thank god we FINALLY have a rough release date!!!

With all of Funi's announcements, takeovers, and rescues, it looks like I'll finally be buying anime on a regular basis again.
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what extras the DVDs might have. Anyone know what extras the Japanese releases of the DVDs had?
Mevious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad FUNi is releasing this in boxsets. Definitely makes buying anime more irresistible.

Looks like a solid dub and I'll be looking forward to hearing it. I'm a fan of Luci Christian, and I think she'll do a great job as Honey.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Ewwwwwww Vic is going to play Tamaki?? He's going to make him sound so old.
I do not like this casting decision.
nekedo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Another role wasted on Vic.

I don't see what people see in him.
brittdvorak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The cast looks great.

I bet everybody over at Cosfu is crying cause Vic got Tamaki.

hahaha!
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Oh, but isn't Greg set up to play Kaoru? Sadly I haven't seen Holic dubbed yet so I haven't had the pleasure of hearing his work, but a Mr. Todd Haberkorn is listed to play Hikaru.

Mr. Haberkorn plays the role of Kimihiro in Holic, and is a pretty nice guy overall (attended the Holic screening/Q&A with him last Sakura Con.)

Actually, I'm kinda pleased with the cast, but for the wrong reason: I'm working on getting my FMA DVDs autographed by the VAs, as a lot of the cast is doing voices in this show. Maybe when Funi starts promoting it, I can add Aaron Dismuke to my collection... (Somewhere deep down, I realize there's something wrong with liking the cast of one show becuase it matches the cast of another, rather different show...)
Prodigy_child

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm really iffy about Vic being Tamaki. This is from a person who has nothing against some of his past roles either.

Mike McFarland was my absolute number one choice for Ranka, so I'm really happy about that despite Ranka being a minor character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6