• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X-Button: A Bold, Daring Dream

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
Michi: You went to the trouble of learning Japanese just to play it? That's not very common, but considering that it was left for dead in the U.S.[Unless you wanted to pay for the NES version on E-Bay...], I don't blame you. Usually, the casual fans study Japanese to watch and read import anime and manga, and the hardcore fans go for the J-RPGs.

Anyway, I'm surprised SQ'ENIX hasn't chosen to release a DS version of DQ I-III, but I have a feeling that's next in the cards for them.
hylentor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
Re: Rayearth

I couldn't stop laughing:
I just got a Saturn import off ebay I had wanted for awhile without having the budget until recently, so I dug the Saturn out of storage along with MKR to make sure everything still worked, and realized that I had never got around to playing it through so have been playing that for a couple of days - I dug it out/got started the day the article went up (and hey, its a holiday weekend, I could maybe finish it before the other game arrives).

Anyway, as to the difficulty: I vaguely remember a discussion on the old WD boards on it at some point (unfortunately, the actual forum posts didn't seem to make it into the internet wayback archive), and it was a matter of with all the other code rebuilding, they didn't want to delay it any farther. If you look at a lot of WD's other games, they generally tweak the difficulty up somewhat, depending on how bad it was, which is better than the pervasive pre-ps1 dumbing-down that rpgs sometimes got.

The article is spot-on about teh voice acting - the girls sound ok (Hikaru and Fuu sound close to the anime, surprisingly), as do "Zagat" and Innova (so far, anyway), but the rest of them just sound either off, or absolutely horrid (Ascot doesn't sound like a kid, he sounds like a thirty-year old with twist-ties on his vocal cords). Which is surprising, as they used mostly the same vocal group for most of their games.

The translation is ok - they got the major plot points I've hit so far right, and I'm tolerating the usual WD humor (mostly because I'm used to it - it grates seeing some things though), so I'm in agreement with the article there too. Its certainly worth a pickup though if you have a Saturn, as it doesn't look to be terribly expensive. Vic even occasionally still throws sealed copies up on ebay that he offers to sign (MKR and other games) although its pricey.
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
I LOVED Magic Knight Rayearth. I followed it's progress with a heavy heart, and was there at my "local" Babbages (yes! Babbages!) that was a one hour drive away - on THE release day to get my preordered copy. I had never seen the anime (though the game inspired me to purchase both seasons later on when it became available) and the game blew me away. The visuals were awesome, the story just drew me in and I loved Working Designs quirky translations. They really made the games entertaining (alot of RPGs seem so boring now - just check out Summon Night for the DS - gosh that was BORING to read).

Did anyone actually PLAY Chocobo Tales on the DS? It was NOT a Dungeon Crawler. It was a collection of mini games and card battles!! And was actually quite fun, since the mini games were varied and each "stage" or "collection" of games had a storybook/fairy tale theme. If you have a DS its definitely worth checking out methinks!! I certainly enjoyed it (though wished it had more card battles, they were insanely fun!)
BloodshotLint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
CT for DS makes me no longer regret buying one.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Ah Splash Woman, an interesting twist on our little particle busting hero's enemy list. I suppose since X and Zero have had a couple of female enemies themselves, the classic blue bomber needed one too.

A shame this couldn't be released any other way. Those of us who are Rockman fans and don't own a Wii can't enjoy it >>
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
Fascinating article. I'd never really noticed this column before Embarassed, but I'll definitely check it out now.

Thanks for the heads up on the Gundam MMORPG. I'd heard of it, but didn't know it was playable here. I'd love to play the Bastard one, as a fan of the series.

The Rayearth history is interesting. I'm familiar with Working Designs practices thanks to recently plying Lunar. The pop references were terrible. "It's a Dead Man's Party!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Michi: You went to the trouble of learning Japanese just to play it? That's not very common, but considering that it was left for dead in the U.S.[Unless you wanted to pay for the NES version on E-Bay...], I don't blame you. Usually, the casual fans study Japanese to watch and read import anime and manga, and the hardcore fans go for the J-RPGs.

Wait, what? No. I've been studying Japanese for years. I didn't learn it just to play Dragon Quest, nor just to read manga or watch anime. The language is my passion, it's just a bonus that it lets me play games in their original language... which was great because I just got back from living in Japan and wanted to pick up games while I was there. :p
Don't get what you mean by "left for dead" though, considering the announcement for IV DS in the States was made long before this article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Michi: By left for dead, I mean the PS version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4