• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertigo Entertainment Developing U.S. Death Note Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
braves wrote:
Just wait for the fanboy's outcry about how this movie will suck.

Nebs wrote:
Zac Effron IS Kira:

http://zacefroniskira.com/

Heh, at least he looks the part.

I cringed at the fact that it's true but agh...

As much as I hate High School Musical (and its sequel, and probably its sequel's sequel) (Although, I have to admit, the part where Zac is dancing/jumping/generally making a fool of himself on the golf course and singing about how "everybody's always talking at me" was quite hilarious.) Zac does make a good Light. Dunno if he can really act the part (I haven't seen many movies with Zac, granted, but I can't really see him pulling off a Kiraesque laugh.) though.

Even so, I'm optimistic about it. Getting all pessimistic "this movie's gonna suck." doesn't really do much for me.

Actually, I think my worst fear from this movie being made is going to see it in theaters, it having Zac Efron as Kira, and having to sit with pre-teen girls constantly squealing at the screen every time he speaks. God, that would be torture.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
There's this one guy from gossip girl that looks like light. I think it should be him. But w/e as much as I hate high school musical I have to admit he might be a good light. As long as he can be scary and calculating and do a really good job of it. Light is one of my all time favorite anime main characters so this might be the only thing that could make me a zac efron fan. As for L I guess corbin bleu doesn't look like him so we shall see
TenkenSmile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I would be angry if this was a rumor.
How do you know if it's true or not ?

Does anyone know email address or phone number of Vertigo Entertainment (or any US company that's going to remake DN)?? I want to ask them directly.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
TenkenSmile wrote:
Does anyone know email address or phone number of Vertigo Entertainment (or any US company that's going to remake DN)?? I want to ask them directly.

Here is their IMDB page, but you have to have pro to access their contact information.
TenkenSmile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh God!! Is Vertigo associated with Hollywood ??
Has anyone obtained Vertigo's contact info already? Can you please tell me ?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
TenkenSmile wrote:
Oh God!! Has anyone obtained Vertigo's contact info already? Can you please tell me ?

Sorry, I don't have the information, nor am I interested in having to pay to sign up just to get access to contact information. Hence why I provided the link and what I said in my previous post.
TenkenSmile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Man! It's the first time I've seen that we have to pay to get contact info! Evil or Very Mad
Anyone else ??? Shocked

If they remake, however, I want Kenichi Matsuyama as L :
http://www.petitiononline.com/L1985/petition.html
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
TenkenSmile wrote:
If they remake, however, I want Kenichi Matsuyama as L :
http://www.petitiononline.com/L1985/petition.html

I doubt that. Because then they would have to try and negotiate with him and his agency for him to come over here and reprise the role. Remember, this is going to be an American remake, so it's going to be everybody speaking English in the first place.
TenkenSmile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
English won't be a barrier. Remember "Memoirs of a Geisha": the little girl who played young Sayuri didn't even know how to speak English!
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
TenkenSmile wrote:
English won't be a barrier. Remember "Memoirs of a Geisha": the little girl who played young Sayuri didn't even know how to speak English!

Yeah, but Death Note doesn't have any overly Japanese tones in its storyline and environment like Memoirs of a Geisha does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abynormal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Captain-Bravo wrote:
I don't mind a series like DB having a movie but Death note? Why would they even consider doing something like this? I mean I know Death note has risen in popularity in the US but I don't think they should go and start a movie just because of that.

Wait wait, you can make sense of a movie based on a franchise that features people flying around shooting fireballs at each other and knocking each other into random rock walls all day, but you can't make sense of what is essentially a detective story with horror elements? You must have a far more energetic imagination than I.

IRT: I say this is good news! The more people who get exposed to the story the better. If The Ring is anything to go by, it may also encourage people to seek out the original material the movie is based on.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
I love the idea and I don't think it's out of Hollywood's reach but the whole zac efron thing has still got me confused. Maybe they should get the guy from arashi with good english lol gackt is doing a movie right? So why not.
TenkenSmile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I contacted Vertigo Entertainment and asked them about the TRUTH of this "Death Note remake" , and their answer is:

It's NOT a rumor !!! They're in the early stage of development !!!

fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
TenkenSmile wrote:
I contacted Vertigo Entertainment and asked them about the TRUTH of this "Death Note remake" , and their answer is:

It's NOT a rumor !!! They're in the early stage of development !!!

That's wonderful. That's what this article was for.
animekittynyan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
i'm pretty excited for the remake ^ ^

But if Light is played by Zac Effron.... oh dear lord..... the people casting actors MUST be reading all the things people online are saying... hopefully they'll realize how desperate people are to keep death note from becoming a musical! right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8