• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Missing Out: ADD and y...OMG A KITTEN!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isikari

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
One of the things I've noticed by perusing the forums here at ANN is that a lot of us (Myself included) don't give shows much of a chance to impress us. A mere 24 minutes (Or sometimes even less if we're in a hurry!) is all we give shows that last 13, 26, even more episodes to prove their worth. Most of the time we know what we like and know what we don't, but every so often, we get it wrong.

An example for me would be Lucky Star. I was a big fan of Genshiken (Show about a college freshman shy about being an Otaku discovering himself) and so this came highly recommended to me. Naturally I started watching and...what! Moe-esque character design? No sense of time? No overarching plot! Balderdash!

Fortunately for me I gave it another try a few days later, mainly because when I was telling a friend about how I didn't like it all I could remember was laughing my ass off at the intro (Seriously, youtube it). And I'm so glad I did, as Lucky Star will soon adorn my home Anime collection as one of my favorite shows.

So what about you? What show did you start out hating (Tell us a bit about it), gave a second try, and wound up in love (Maybe just a crush) with?
NathanBum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Basilisk. I bought the entire show on DVD and watched the first episode and my thoughts were "Wow, really gay deformed characters and a love story, screw this", and I shelved it and didn't think about it again until about now (3 months later). I ordered some anime online and to fill the time that it takes for them to arrive, I started digging out anime that I knew I had not finished watching, or watched at all. Basilisk happened to be the first one I decided to give a second chance. After watching the first Disc of six, I am hooked. One of the best Animes out there too date for me.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
For me it was Higurashi, scrapped princess and Karin.

Karin
I hate silly romantic comedies in general. They start out OK but then the idiot plot kicks in where the lovers are separated and put under stress by the most silly contrived nonsense that would be solved if the two lovers would talk for 30 seconds. I wrote it off after one episode but decided to watch until it really pissed me off. I still don’t know what happened. I watched the entire series in fansubs and bought the 3 R1 DVD’s and I watch it occasionally. I cannot explain why I like Karin to myself or any of my friends. I just do.

Scrapped Princess
I was looking for swords and sorcery stuff and decided to give Scrapped Princess a shot. After the first episode I thought it was pretty bland and dull and dumped it. A few days later during some downtime I decided to watch a few more episodes. Episode 4 caught my attention and before I knew it I was at episode 11 anxious to know what was next. At that point I stopped watching fansubs and bought the collection. I very much enjoy the series now.

Higurashi no Naku Koroni/(When they Cry)
I had heard a lot about this anime and got curious enough to watch a few episodes. I saw the first 3 episodes and thought they were dull. It was obviously building to something but I didn’t care. I gave up on it then. Several months later when I was looking through the forums for recommendations on something to watch I kept seeing Higurashi. So I thought “what the heck!” I’ll watch a few more episodes. I didn’t know there was a second season and accidentally watched the third episode of that instead. I got a very different feel this time. There was real tension and mystery. I was hooked and ended up watching the whole second season. I then went back and took another look at the first season and ended up liking it. I still prefer the second season but now I hope and pray that someone will pry the series from Geneon and both seasons get fully released.
Truered

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
Well it wasn't so much a second try...

Basically I'm a member of my University anime society. They did a weekend showing of Escaflowne and I'm half and half about going. Turn up and sit watching, thinking if this doesn't get better I'm going to leave at the first break. I kept on seeing cliches, the blond hero male, chivalry, misunderstood youth, a catgirl yadda yadda.

However I decided to sit through it, thinking I had nothing else to do anyway. It was sometime last November, so I can't fully remember when, but on that Saturday I suddenly found myself engrossed in it. Roll on Sunday and I'm one of the first there eagerly looking forward to it (and greatly enjoying the series altogether, despite finding episode 26 a bit disappointing.) In fact I want to watch it again sometime.
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I dropped both Simoun and Gunslinger Girl, now two of my absolute favorites, simply because the latter seemed repetitive (After two episodes. I will never ever do that again) and the first one seemed too slow (One episode before it really began. Will happen again, I guess).

However, I come back to nearly all shows which I would rate 5/10 or higher, simply because I feel bad when I'm not Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya comes to mind. It has one of the absolute worst first episodes ever (episode 0 I mean). It really turned me off until I realized it was supposed to be intentionally bad like a terrible independant film and decided to watch more episodes of it.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
For me I think it was FLCL. After the first few episodes I was kind of in a WTF state. I was like "uuuuuh, ooookay......... what did I just watch?" I thought it was incredibly stupid at first, but I decided to keep going with it because of how funny I thought it was at certain points. But I came to find that the more I watched it not only the more fun it became for me but also the more interesting as well as quite fairly emotionally involving. That all came totally unexpected for me. However it wasn't until I decided to rewatch the whole series on another Adult Swim repeat that I officially decided to rate it Masterpiece, because I came to understand it more and even found it more enjoyable and funny the second time around.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
^ Ditto. After watching two episodes of FLCL, I went "What the heck?! THIS won best short series in the American Anime Awards?" I honestly didn't get it, and thought it was trying to be "racy" arthouse crap. It was funny, but that was about it. If I wanted funny, I would go for a true, true comedy, not this straaaange mishmash of "Barely makes sense. Is this a metaphor or something, cause I don't understand. Thinking too hard doesn't work. (It worked for Paranoia Agent.) Letting my brain go doesn't work. (It worked for Ouran Host Club.) BAH!"

Then I sloooooowly got what it was all about. By that time, clearly, the show was over, but it was absolutely worth the visual ride when I got the perspective it was taking and could finally enjoy the humor once I saw where it was going, around the beginning of episode four. I'm still waiting on picking up the show, though, because it's darned expensive despite its awesomeness.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
It took me over 10 episodes to get into Princess Tutu and I didn't start really liking it until about the last 5. It's a good thing it came to me so highly recommended and with a forewarning that it starts out slowly or I'm not sure I ever would have made it through to the end. It's an oddly constructed story in that it absolutely needs to have the earlier episodes be the way they are to build the tale that is being told, but those early episodes are a bit on the repetitive and slow side of things.

I'm pretty sure that I'll enjoy them a lot more when I re-watch it since I know where it's all going and I know that it's a fantastic series.

Just a side note: best topic title EVAR. All right, maybe not, but it both made me laugh and got me to look at the thread. Anime hyper
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya comes to mind. It has one of the absolute worst first episodes ever (episode 0 I mean). It really turned me off until I realized it was supposed to be intentionally bad like a terrible independant film and decided to watch more episodes of it.

now that i think about it, that happened to me to. i saw the first episode about a year before i saw it again. both times i almost couldn't stand it. but then i saw the second episode and read into what the series was and now it's one of my favorite series. and now, i want the second series to hurry up and get made.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote
For me it's Sketchbook ~Full Color'S~, or at least that's the latest anime that I started out hating and ended up loving it. At first I thought it was really boring - nothing really happened in the first few episodes and the main character, Sora, barely said anything. I put it on hold until it finished airing, and when I started watching it again I really liked it. It was mostly because of Kate, spoiler[a new character introduced in episode 6,] and the cats. The cats are hilarious. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:25 am Reply with quote
For me it would be Revolutionary Girl Utena. It is one of my all time favourites and I truly love it, from the complex character interaction to the psychological depth without forgetting the memorable imagery, it is a fascinating piece of art. However, the first arc did not impress me much. It felt like too much was being thrown at the viewer without being followed up. When the Black Rose arc kicked in I was afraid that the characters from the previous episodes would be replaced which sorely annoyed me but once I realized that it was not so I was able to appreciate the series. Later episodes managed to both subvert and re-elaborate what had already been presented and that is one of Utena's strengths, its capacity to add layers where at first there seemed to be none. Had I not read about it beforehand I might never have found the motivation to carry on watching and would have missed what became one of my top five favourite anime.

Also:
Fafner: I spent the first ten or so episodes trying to spot the differences between this title and Evangelion and finding depressingly few. But once the character development begins to unfold and Kazuki's issues with Shoushi are brought to light it began to grow on me. The drama between the two gave it a novel feeling and while it does have its own philosophical undertones (to this day I have the impression that "assimiliation" is very much akin to "the human instrumentality project") it does not take it to Evangelion proportions. The focus on communication to solve problems was also very welcomed and the ending was memorable and heart-wrenching at the same time. I ended up liking it so much that I bought the whole collection and am currently re-watching it.

Air: I was never a fan of exceedingly moe moe anime. And the first four or so episodes of Air were almost painful to endure. It felt like: meet girl A, see her quirks and moe-ness; meet girl B, see more quirks and more moe-ness! I decided to stick with it nonetheless and it paid off. The final episodes are pure gems that while emotionally manipulative managed to reel me in. Also welcome was a mother/child relationship that took the pivotal role in the narrative. And spoiler[Yukito becoming a raven allows a revisitation of the first episodes so that even those were salvaged, to some extent, from being utterly dull. Coupled with an ending that is not afraid to be tragic and very endearing visuals I came to love this title.]

Saikano: more or less the same as with Air but my hatred for the first episodes was less intense. But Chise bugged me. She felt too much like the typical ditzy girl who stumbles her way around life while Shu was also too typically "gruff boy who can't express his emotions". But the narrative challenges these cliches and manages to break them down as it goes along. Side characters also get to shine even in their darkest hours spoiler[like many fans I was as moved by Akemi's death as I was by the ordeal of Chise and Shu] and the war story is told in a relentless yet poignant manner.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Two anime that are now in my top ten Smile

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan- I dragged myself through the first eight episodes over the course of two months and then marathoned the rest in two days. I couldn't understand the love for such overblown characters and ridiculous designs. Then the plot developed, stuff happened, and it was addicting.

Samurai Champloo- I loved the concept but couldn't get into its episodicness. Then the last few episodes tied everything together so beautifully, epically, and neatly that I cried. Comeback of the century!
Ardlien

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
The first episode of Berserk worried me, especially that vision of purple flashing people that lasted for ages, but I had the next few episodes and in only took the second to hook me into the story.
watchdog210

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
For me it would have to be Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. I bought the first two disks sight unseen because I loved the orignal. I was expecting a retelling of the first one. The artwork was killer but I was turned off by all the changes, why was Sylia a bitch, and why for the love of GOD was NeNe a blonde.

I loaned them to a friend of mine who was an anime fan, but he only watched OP's (other people's).

He had never seen the first BGC so he looked at it with fresh eyes and saw it for the awesomeness that it was. He convinced me to rewatch it, and look at it as an all new story.

It is now on my short list for instant classic, right along side the orignal.

And just for the record, The Knight Sabers will forever rule on the high throne of ass kickery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2