• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Not so likable protagonists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
but *Major Spoiler* spoiler[submitting to become his little puppet was just irresponsible. I'm glad she died.]

Bold'ed for emphasis, man that's harsh. Mad

Guess you can sign me up with those who hated Shiro from Fate/Stay Night I think everyone has their own ideology and out look on things. Many will fight for them, and even die for them, with out question. I'm one of those who actually liked the series, but this character annoyed me no end. Reason being? Simply put, no one on the planet is that stupid. While the story itself is far fetched, i think most whom have seen it will agree, but spoiler[ what kind of idiot does it take when they are told up front, "Other masters will try to kill you or have you killed." Yet this moron can't even buy a clue from the local shopping district and figure out just maybe his life might be in danger if he does something stupid. Like just hanging out for no reason, knowing full well if it gets dark the party is gonna start, ready or not.] Seriously, nobody that's at least even semi-sane has a complete lack of self preservation as Shiro does. It's one thing to not want others to be involved, but to repeatedly act as if self preservation doesn't exist is beyond the summit of stupidity.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
snivek101 wrote:
I just don't understand why everyone always tends to dislike Makoto. In my opinion hate him as a person not a character.

Sometimes it is difficult to seperate how you feel about a character from how you feel about the character as a person.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
There is no difference to speak of in my opinion.
NathanBum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Kuoruno from Gantz, his sex-crazed antics really got on my nerves. And, how could people point to Shinji from Neon Genesis? He is one of my favorite protagonists of all time! Crying or Very sad
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
NathanBum wrote:
Kuoruno from Gantz, his sex-crazed antics really got on my nerves. And, how could people point to Shinji from Neon Genesis? He is one of my favorite protagonists of all time! Crying or Very sad

Not everyone hates Shinji. The people who do are numerous and very vocal, though. To be fair, he's not very likable, but I don't think he's as specifically unlikable as people say he is.
NathanBum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
NathanBum wrote:

Not everyone hates Shinji. The people who do are numerous and very vocal, though. To be fair, he's not very likable, but I don't think he's as specifically unlikable as people say he is.

I agree with that, he doesn't have much going for him to make him likeable, although he doesn't have much going for him to make him unlikeable. It just comes down to personal preference and opinion.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

I think that there is although the line between "character" and "character as a person" does tend to blur and is a matter of personal opinion. For example, I really like Light from Death Note as a character because to me it was very refreshing to have a protagonist who is an egocentiric genius of sorts who has no qualms sacrificing everyone and everything that stands on his path. Megalomania coupled with the ability to act as cute as a buttom when needed make him a unique character that is not often seen in fiction in general and surely not in the role of the main. As a person, however, and in a real life situation I would not at all like someone like Light.
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
Kuoruno from Gantz - even though he has his good moments, most of the time, I didn't like him and I couldn't identify with him at all.
(I didn't like Gantz overall...)

Naruto - He is annyoing - he is meant to be, though. I could identify with other characters way better when I was still reading the manga.

Emiya Shirou from Fate/Stay Night - He redeems himself a little later on, but he is such a chauvinistic....guy and his actions make no sense half of the time.
Time and Space

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
NocturnalUX wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

I think that there is although the line between "character" and "character as a person" does tend to blur and is a matter of personal opinion. For example, I really like Light from Death Note as a character because to me it was very refreshing to have a protagonist who is an egocentiric genius of sorts who has no qualms sacrificing everyone and everything that stands on his path. Megalomania coupled with the ability to act as cute as a buttom when needed make him a unique character that is not often seen in fiction in general and surely not in the role of the main. As a person, however, and in a real life situation I would not at all like someone like Light.

Precisely, there is a difference between a character who is likeable for their entertainment value, but not so likeable in terms of their general personality. At the extreme, if one can't make such a distinction then it would be difficult for anyone to actually like villains, because they typically have horrendous personalities.

However, it is on that rare occasion when a character's actions and personality so annoys that one can't see any redeeming features in the mere presence of the character. Or if they do accept the importance that that annoying character (and indeed the annoying personality) has to the plot, they nevertheless can't come to 'like' the character in any way.

It's pretty rare for me to entirely lack appreciation for a character, though sometimes I become annoyed by the naturally talented shounen heroes, who just seem to be better than others, like Azuma from Yakitate Japan, who doesn't need to work to be a good baker, whilst the others around him (Yuuichi) actually have to work hard. But I still like the characters despite this fleeting annoyance.

I did however, virtually destest Seita of Grave of the Fireflies, I sat there, mouth open with astonishment, as this idiot spoiler[essentially condemned his sister to death], by his foolish actions. It made for an interesting film, but I can't find myself saying I liked the character at all, in any way (though I did sympathise). It's rare when it happens, but his personality so annoyed me that I can't even appreciate it in the context of the film overall. Needless to say, I was in a curious state of ambivalence by the film's end.
sanbyaku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
i hate any male protagonist (teenage or abouve) that speaks with an 8 year old girls voice, in most of the harem ecchi anime the guy might be weak i dont care about that, but when they speak with a pitch thats comparative to a little girls it gets on my nerves, you dont see any girls speak like a 30 year old man do you?
konkonsn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
I came into this thread hoping to get a good list of shows where the protagonists where a collection of sociopathic monsters or at the bottom of society's moral sewer...

Instead everyone's just whining about how they hate characters that whine and sit around doing nothing.

A couple of years ago I saw the first episode of Blue Gender and hated it, but I wanted to hug the protagonist because he actually peed his pants when confronted by the giant alien bug thing that was about to devour him alive. Ok? Real people fall apart in bad situations. Normally we're egocentric and forget to look at the big picture when it's really important. If a giant alien bug was about to eat me, I'd fall down shaking and pee myself too. We're rarely heroes in the moments we really need to be heroes, and good on a story that feels up to portraying that.

Currently, I'm having a hard time liking Lelouch from Code Geass. He doesn't really care about the Japanese people; he uses their patriotism as a means to his own end, which is to destroy the Empire of Britannia. However, he doesn't even seem to notice the consequences of what that will bring; the social chaos and general falling-apart of the world. He has no plan for fixing that. The only thing he cares about it killing the empire that killed his mother. That's extremely irresponsible and selfish. He also doesn't seem to mind killing people when its convenient for him.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
It's funny to find a topic like this when just the other day a friend and I wound up in the same conversation. Well off the top of my head:

Kotoko Aihara (Itazura na Kiss): I've only gotten though about 6 episodes of this show and I already want to strangle this girl. She hurts my feminine pride. I realize that this show was based of a manga that came from an era where ditzy girls were the shojo norm, (think Miaka Yuuki, Sailor Moon/Usagi ect...) but seeing her put up with all the abuse that her object of affection deals to her is just pathetic. She really lets me down in that she gives you hope that she'll finally grow some sense and spoiler[give up on Naoki Irie since all he seems to do is humiliate her by either calling her stupid, or just plain being a jerk by reading her love letter to him out loud in front of her own family] but she still keeps pressing on. I guess we're supposed to look at her like a girl with a "pure love", but it's just unhealthy.

Mayo (Fushigi Yuugi Eikoden): I think she counts since Miaka was spoiler[practically in a coma]during the majority of the episodes. I don't remember her very clearly (and I don't really want to re-watch that particular OVA) but I really couldn't stand how selfish she was. She was completely jealous of Miaka that she spoiler[waltzed into the universe of the four gods and even "stole" Miaka's pregnancy.] Even her voice actress (from what I read in the booklet that came with the DVD) stressed over voicing her character as she was a little too aggressive and emotional. I really just couldn't find any reason to like her.

Keitaro Urashima (Love Hina): I couldn't stand what a wimp he was or how often the girls beat the living crap out of him. He was pathetic to watch. Maybe it's a petty reason, but that's why I can't stand him.

And of course, I have to throw in my votes for NGE's Shinji and GSD's Shinn for the same reasons as many people have listed already. Heck, I'd vote for Shinn twice if I could.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
I came into this thread hoping to get a good list of shows where the protagonists where a collection of sociopathic monsters or at the bottom of society's moral sewer...

Instead everyone's just whining about how they hate characters that whine and sit around doing nothing.

*sighs* That is quite true, isn't it, and I'm guilty of that as well. Embarassed But speaking for myself, I think it's because I can't get through many episodes of an anime that has a main character so detestable. I'm sure there were more characters out there I could've listed given some time and concentration, but I think I may have blocked them out of my memory, as silly as that is!

The biggest "monster" I can remember as of late is Light Yagami, but I can't say that I hated him. I'm not really a "Kira" supporter or anything, but I can't really hate a character that entertained me so much thoughout a show. Sure, I would hate him if he were real, but as an animated character created solely for my entertainment, he rocked. (But not as much as L) Razz
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
A couple of years ago I saw the first episode of Blue Gender and hated it, but I wanted to hug the protagonist because he actually peed his pants when confronted by the giant alien bug thing that was about to devour him alive. Ok? Real people fall apart in bad situations. Normally we're egocentric and forget to look at the big picture when it's really important. If a giant alien bug was about to eat me, I'd fall down shaking and pee myself too. We're rarely heroes in the moments we really need to be heroes, and good on a story that feels up to portraying that.
I recently saw the first episode of Blue Gender and thought the same thing, and I think it's this point that people miss when talking about characters like Shinji. Even the most well-adjusted real teenagers can have their moody moments, and when you combine Shinji's family situation with the giant robot piloting business, his behavior in the series is largely justified.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:28 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
Currently, I'm having a hard time liking Lelouch from Code Geass. He doesn't really care about the Japanese people; he uses their patriotism as a means to his own end, which is to destroy the Empire of Britannia. However, he doesn't even seem to notice the consequences of what that will bring; the social chaos and general falling-apart of the world. He has no plan for fixing that. The only thing he cares about it killing the empire that killed his mother. That's extremely irresponsible and selfish. He also doesn't seem to mind killing people when its convenient for him.

I never liked Lelouch all that much but I know I am in the minority regarding him. To me he does feel too much of a Light wannabe but with a cute little sister to add some "humanity". As I have stated I can appreciate Light as a character because he is evil and the anime lets us into his mind so that we may see just what makes him tick. As for Lelouch, and I going by the first season alone as I have only seen an episode of R2 thus far, I think he failed as a major rebel leading a revolution when he spoiler[accidently uses Geass on Euphie and ends up being responsible for the death of many innocent people. Knowing from Mao's example that there was a chance of his Geass starting to act without his willing and still giving Euphie that command was simply careless in more ways than one. Made worse by the fact that he had plenty of time to knock her unconscious while she fought off the effects of Geass and instead he just stood there. I can excuse ruthlessly plotting and eliminating those who stand on one's ways in this kind of character but plain messing up is just too much.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5