• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jojo's Anime, Manga Sales Halted Due to Islamic Images

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I think that those idiots are forgetting something very important ! Japanese anime is mainly done & targeted for Japanese audience in the first place, especially for older anime. If someone from outside Japan finds it offensive or so then he/she shouldn't watch it or import it in the first place Rolling Eyes

As i mentioned earlier, those are just looking for getting some attention.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Actually, while I haven't read it myself, a couple of people have commented that ironically enough, one of the characters in JoJo's is a Muslim, and he's a good guy.

Yes yes yes, I already made the point that I'm a fan of this manga. I know that Avdol is a Muslim.

What I meant was, anime/manga in general could use some more characters of different ethnicities who were not stereotypes. Seriously, outside of Black Lagoon, how many Jews have you seen in anime? I think we could use more Jews. More everyone!

It's a small big-world. Something for everyone. Anime smile

Quote:
Religious folk are too touchy, especially Muslims, it seems.

Nah, you just hear about us in the news more. You should come to one of my family reunions. The only person whose ever "touchy" is the chef; and that's only if you tell her how to make proper gyros. Anime smile

Quote:
If I was Muslim I would be offended by these fantastics who take such offense and make such noise at a cartoon.

Oh yeah, hang those "fantastics!" Especially Reed Richards. Guy pissed me off, anyway.

And if you read my posts, I did not condone their actions anymore than I condoned the animators.

And now for my favorite post of the night:

REDOG wrote:
The hell with them. Not that we jews don't get offended easily. But, it is their tradition. This is how they were acting most of the history since the end of their golden age in the early middle ages. If you say something about me i will take it to depth of my heart and kill you in an act of rage. this is their mentality. Post- medieval mentality. and that's what the muslim masses do today, kill everyone they can kill and don't like. But i don't see why all the world should fall on his knees on every tidbit of them getting heart.

To the muslim that reacted here, thats right that there are movements agienst the fanatical and in favor of change (the muslim feminist movement and so forth) but unfortunatly they are too weak at this moment. So the fantics have a foothold on the masses. And this is the exactly the problem with Islam today. Since the Iranian revolution the fanticals power grows in the muslim world and so the feeling goes that everybody is bad except me and trying to heart me had become the ruling position and this case is another proof.

"Our mentality?" Why Redog, I didn't know you knew so much about me! Awww and we only just met too. Anime smile

Need I remind you, most Muslims abhor killing or hurting. I have been raised by strict Muslim parents, and never once. NEVER. ONCE. did they tell me that just because we are Muslims we have free right to act violence upon others.

I have said this before, and I will say it again. The problem here -- as anyone can see from Redog's...statements -- is ignorance.

And we are all guilty of it. Myself included.

For those of you offended by the artists: relax.

For those of you offended by the outcry: relax as well.

World's screwed up enough as is. We don't need anime fans jumping around saying this-and-that is "bullshit."

Times like this I implore you all: remember that we are all just human.

Can't we all just leave it at that?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
@ GATSU: This isn't a playground argument of who "started it," this is the adult world and in the adult world we aren't supposed to get so worked up over such minor issues.

@ JohnathanEnder: Hope most of us aren't coming across too badly. I think most of us are just venting our frustrations at the idea of censorship. Some are just venting a little too broadly.

Too little understanding between all peoples of faith (and between the faithful and the atheists) in this world if you ask me. Everyone could take a little more time to think about our similarities rather than our differences. Instead we get a few people making big deals about things in the name of all of whatever group and other people who are too frightened to laugh at them for their arrogance.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
All I can do is shake my head. I'm disappointed that they are so quick to cave. Just once it would be nice to see a company or someone tell people: to bad. Get the hell over it. I guess I can't blame them though. They're a business and its wisest to take the easy route and just remove the image.

mrsatan wrote:
Yes, I agree.
Some more information to consider:
Muslims murdered Hitoshi Igarashi, the Japanese translator of The Satanic Verses. Because of this, Japanese publishers are scared to death of any Muslim complaints and will bend over backwards to appease them.

Go Nagai's manga "Allah-kun" has been out of print for years because of similar protests.

I'm not sure if there is any actual direct basis to say he was killed by Muslims. However, this does seem like a surprisingly extreme reaction so I can't help but wonder if it is fear as you describe that is motivating this. If this is true, it's actually pretty ironic. Because they fear Muslim terrorists, they will remove an image that Muslims find offensive because it makes them look like terrorists.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Richard:
Quote:
This isn't a playground argument of who "started it," this is the adult world and in the adult world we aren't supposed to get so worked up over such minor issues.

It's minor to you, but for them, it's a way of life.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:

What I meant was, anime/manga in general could use some more characters of different ethnicities who were not stereotypes. Seriously, outside of Black Lagoon, how many Jews have you seen in anime? I think we could use more Jews. More everyone!

Heh, they were close to having a nice Jewish boy in anime with Spike Spiegel, but then they had to blow it by saying it was just a coincidence. I mean, c'mon, they even gave him an Israeli gun!!! (Jericho 941). Coincidence my @$$! Laughing

You are right though, they could use more culture in their works, but that's tough. I mean, here in the states we can't seem to have a TV show with a multi "racial" cast that flows and feels natural... imagine the Japanese trying that with completely different cultures? Tough. I think Japan is slowly trying to do that, and they might step on a few toes in the process. It might help if people, ALL PEOPLE, could stop taking themselves and their precious beliefs sooooooo darn seriously for at least a little while.

I'm not disagreeing with your points, just highlighting the complexity, that's all.

I think in the interests of everyone trying to get a long, it would be helpful if everyone could try to NOT see hate in everything, while also not injecting hate into everything. Ahh, wouldn't that be a wonderful world.?

I close with a quote:

"Look, when someone asks me "which way's Israel, I don't fly off the handle!" -- Jerry Seinfeld
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see this link posted in the news post or in the replies (perhaps I missed it), but here's an English language writeup of the story:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/publisher-to-suspend-cartoon-sales-after-muslims-say-it-insults-islam

For me, the most mindblowing section was this:

Quote:
The cartoon series’ pirated version with Arabic subtitles has been distributed on websites since March 2007.

After a viewer posted negative comments and the still scene, it sparked off more protests. Eventually responses were carried on more than 300 Arab and Islamic Web forums with some accusing Japan of insulting the Quran.

Sheikh Abdul Hamid Attrash, chairman of the Fatwa (religious edict) Committee at Al-Azhar, the highest Sunni authority based in Cairo, dismissed the cartoon as an insult to Islam.

"This scene depicts Muslims as terrorists, which is not true at all,’’ he said. ‘‘This is an insult to the religion and the producers would be considered to be enemies of Islam."

So just so we're all clear on this: these complaints originated from people who pirated it off the Internet. The sale of actual, officially licensed product is being halted because of people who NEVER EVEN BOUGHT THE THING. Including some of the comics, which didn't even have the content in it to begin with!

The final quote that states that it's untrue that Muslims are terrorists, BUT the people responsible are enemies of Islam: uh, is there any way to NOT interpret a statement like that as a veiled threat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
No there isn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Regus

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I think in the interests of everyone trying to get a long, it would be helpful if everyone could try to NOT see hate in everything, while also not injecting hate into everything. Ahh, wouldn't that be a wonderful world.?

That is just so true.

I'm a Muslim since I was born, from Indonesia. Never did in my life my parents or my religion teachers tell me: "We're Muslims, we get to kill everyone who is not! We must kill everyone who defames us, RAAAHHHH!!!!"

The problem here is, I think, many people fail to see that people -- peoples -- are different. Just because your people are not angry when somebody depicts Jesus defecating, it doesn't mean all people must be like you. Although of course terror and death threats are not the right way to react over something you find offending you.

A friend of mine even once said that instead of telling us to just chill when someone attacks our religion, why don't they be more respectful to their own religions? Why don't they stop people (their own people) from humiliating their god or their prophets?
I think that's a good question to ponder, although I have no way to answer it. Again, peoples are different.

In my Muslim-dominated country, Hellsing -- that portrays Christians and Muslims as violent -- is published without causing any uproar. I think the manga/anime-loving community in my country is grown up enough to accept religion-bashing concepts/ideas/pictures open-mindedly.
(Well, it's not everyone in my country, be they Christians, Muslims, Buddhist or Hindus are all tolerant/open-minded. When Osamu Tezuka's Buddha was published here, many Buddhists were angry and they protested. I was speaking in a book discussion about the manga, and Buddhists stood up and told me how they were angered by the manga, because it portrayed Buddha not as in the history that they believed. I was really surprised because despite being different from the traditional history, Tezuka's manga was portraying nothing bad about Buddha.)

But then again, may I ask you:
If somebody makes an art making fun of Holocaust, would you just say nothing? Or would you let them be free in the name of 'free speech'?
Does free speech mean we are free to hurt people's feelings?

BTW, in the case of JoJo, I personally found no offense there, and I was surprised to see that anyone makes a fuss about the scene. Just what my religion needs to represent it *is cynical*

I've seen BL manga in which an Arabic prince had sex with his lover, and at the time the adzan can be heard from a mosque. So the sex scene was decorated with arabic writings of 'god is great'.
I just laughed.

I mean, come on. That's the way Japanese are. Oftentimes they never mean to hurt anybody; they are just... ignorant. But of course there are creators, like Minako Narita, who always do research carefully when they're working on a work with a certain theme. (Narita's classic work, Alien Street, is a good portrait of how many young Muslims raised in modern households are in reality.)

Animenewsnetwork doesn't really help by adding information about other violence done in the name of Islam not-related by the JoJo case, by the way.

PS: to correct somebody's post up there, we muslims respect jesus, moses etc. Muslims may not make fun of jesus, moses, david, and their Holy Books. So you won't see Muslims portraying Jesus wipes his behind with the Bible.

Last edited by Regus on Fri May 23, 2008 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
nargun

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
@ GATSU: This isn't a playground argument of who "started it," this is the adult world and in the adult world we aren't supposed to get so worked up over such minor issues.

See, here's the thing: the worst thing in the world, the most undiplomatic and foolish thing you can say, is "you shouldn't care". Not "I don't care"; that's about you and you know your own mind and your own motivations. But "You shouldn't care", "it's only a little thing, why are you getting all riled up about it", and so forth.

There's a word for this behaviour, and the word is "paternalistic".

[looks like some people still have some growing up to do. I'd suggest starting with the implications of "ego boundaries" with particular reference to motivation and how yours and The Other's can differ. Or you could just watch EVA, but you probably think Shinji's a wuss.]
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
To play the (great American) devil's advocate, Japan isn't the most informed culture in the world when it comes to negative stereotypes.

I like to post this example of that. A friend took this photo in a department store while we were in Japan. (I also got a small one for a black friend living there as a joke gift. I know. Terrible.)

ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
Regus wrote:
But then again, may I ask you:
If somebody makes an art making fun of Holocaust, would you just say nothing? Or would you let them be free in the name of 'free speech'?
Does free speech mean we are free to hurt people's feelings?

Hell yeah it does. I wont say people should needlessly or intentionally do things to offend people. But they should have the right to if they so choose. I recognize that there are exceptions to free speech and that your right cannot infringe on the rights of others. However, when you protect something as abstract and subjective as someone's feelings you open it up to all kinds of vague and ill defined things that one can claim free expression may "harm".
nargun

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Hell yeah it does. I wont say people should needlessly or intentionally do things to offend people. But they should have the right to if they so choose. I recognize that there are exceptions to free speech and that your right cannot infringe on the rights of others. However, when you protect something as abstract and subjective as someone's feelings you open it up to all kinds of vague and ill defined things that one can claim free expression may "harm".

Everything's "vague and ill-defined", it's the nature of the universe. Hard-edged divisions don't exist, and no amount of shouting that grey doesn't exist will change the colour of a pencil any.

You're going to have to learn to cope with uncertainty. You can't have rigid rules covering all aspects of life, it just doesn't work that way.

And this applies to your conduct as much as anything else. Some day you might do something and suffer no ill consequences; some day you might do the same thing and get into trouble. Because you did it under different circumstances, or to different people, or at a different time.

It's not possible to draw up a set of rules that if you follow it exactly will leave you righteous and justified, the world doesn't work like that, never has worked like that, and never will work like that. There's no secret code that'll let you understand other people.

The world is fuzzy and uncertain. Learn to cope, or, y'know... don't. But that's not pretty and not recommended.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quote
Although muslim fans of anime and manga are NOT like this, the inflexibility by a certain vocal minority make all others appear intolerant. Which is unfortunate.

Whatever they made complaint about Quoran content of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is just idiotic. The Jojo manga and the anime have been out targeting toward Japanese audience for years, and now they are making a fuss all because Anime and manga became global?

I'm not even sure if the manga quoted Quoran verse in the manga.

I hope they don't cause riots for something so petty.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quote
Let me get this straight after so many years of this manga being out now they just suddenly get "Offended" Oh my god *FacePalm*.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8