• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buying OSTs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legendfunk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
I've been wondering:

-Where can you buy OSTs in real life?
-What's the best OST you've bought?
-What anime songs are available on iTunes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
1: I don't really know where to get OSTs in real life unless you find an anime/manga specialty shop. I've looked in places like Borders and they just don't have that kind of selection.

2: The best OST I've bought is without a doubt Howl's Moving Castle. Joe Hisaishi is a wonderful composer and I consider that the best he's done. There is enough variation among the songs yet he uses the main theme in practically every one.

3: The iTunes selection is alright. They have some of the music for the more popular shows like Naruto or Cowboy Bebop, but otherwise there isn't much to choose from.

Last edited by HMMcKamikaze on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Orange_Popsicle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
1: Other then anime/manga stores, the only place I've seen anime OSTs at is F.Y.E. but... the selection wasn't by any means large at all. If I remember correctly, they had two different Fruits Basket OSTs and one Hellsing OST.

2: The best OST(s) I've bought have got to be all my Inuyasha OSTs. I them to Death. The music is so Eastern Sounding and has a lot of vairty (One song could be way up-beat and next could be really slow and depressing)

3: I've never used Itunes for buying OSTs, so I wouldn't know. I'm the kind of person who likes to be able to line all their CDs up on their shelf above their stereo.
zhir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
1: No clue. I use Amazon and Rightstuf.
2: Likely the soundtrack to 2nd Gig. Rise is one of the greatest anime OPs ever, and the full version is even better (by contrast, Solid State's OP is WORSE in the full version). I'll note though, that I think that GitS' soundtrack is the best I've heard (other than LoGH but it's classical) but I'm still having trouble finding a copy I don't think is a bootleg.
3: Not great, and most of it has DRM.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
1. It's pretty frickin' hard to get OST in-person... if you've still got a Suncoast around, you might be able to get the liscensed stuff. For me, I either have to make a day trip and spend $40 apiece at Kinokuniya in Seattle, or buy bootlegs at the combo Hello Kitty/anime store (which, of course, I don't.) Online really is best.

2. The katamari damacy family of soundstracks are my favs. Most of my anime ones I just play the op/ed themes and skip the rest of the disc.

3. Beats me- I don't download things. Slow connection, don'tcha know.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
Guys, pay attention to where legendfunk lives. Some of you were making suggestions that he could never utilize. As for the three questions:

1. Thanks to the dominating Japanese fashion and culture here (for example, Namie Amuro just had a concert in Taipei two weeks ago), we've got some music stores specifically catering Japanese pop music. 95music, one of the most famous stores of this sort, has about 1/3 of its records composed of anime-related music products, such as anime OST, seiyū albums, and CD drama. I just pre-ordered my Selfconsciousness by Taku Iwasaki last month and received it a week later. However, I honestly don't think there are similar shops in Australia.

2. It's a difficult question to answer as each of them has their charm. If I must pick one then it would be the OST of Ima, Sokoni Iru Boku (Now and Then, Here and There), also by Taku Iwasaki, code VICL-60492. The music plays a big part for the mood of the series.

3. I can't answer this question because I've never tried and will never use iTunes.

EDIT: typo fixed.

Last edited by dormcat on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
That was good of dormcat to point out where legendfunk lives. Yeah there is probably no-where for legendfunk to buy anime OSTs in real life. The only thing I can say in consolation is that it is probably the same deal almost everywhere in the USA. The states that I have lived in were probably two of the best for obtaining anime OSTs in the USA and even I pretty much can't obtain anything useful in real life.

I think anime speciality shops usually carry bootleg OSTs, not legitimate ones. If you don't care though then that is probably the best option (in the USA). Japanese stores such as Kinokuniya or Mandarake are legitimate, but will rarely carry a wide selection of anime OSTs (in the USA). You might be able to find the most major ones though, but don't expect to find all the anime OSTs you want there.

But as for Australia, I have no idea.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Rightstufhas a good size collection. The only OST I bought in person was Wolf's Rain at the Bandai booth at an anime convention.

DuelLadyS wrote:
or buy bootlegs at the combo Hello Kitty/anime store

we have one of those. "Too Cool"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brendan Behan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to say that the two OST's for Welcome to the NHK are great. If you haven't seen the series (I'm just catching up with anime again for the first time in 6 or so years - so don't know if that's a stupid question) then definitely check it out too. It's the only time I've ever looked up an OST because the background music was just that good.

Here's a great review:

http://rosepetals19.wordpress.com/2007/07/01/anime-music-welcome-to-the-nhk-meets-the-sunny-and-dark-side/

http://rosepetals19.wordpress.com/2007/07/01/anime-music-welcome-to-the-nhk-meets-the-sunnyside/
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I really need more OSTs. I can't answer the first and last question, but the best I've bought is probably Cowboy Bebop. I really want the D. Grayman OSTs, though.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, unfortunately I can't help you much in regards to where to buy them in Australia. Heck, aside from online retailers, they're next to impossible to find in actual stores here in the US; at least in my area.

I would say check various sites that allow you to purchase mp3's, they're becoming more common and may have some available. Otherwise, you'd have to ship internationally and that can get expensive, especially for just a CD.

My favorite OSTs I didn't actually buy at all for the most part, as they are the Eureka Seven OSTs boxed with the special editions Bandai released for volumes 1, 7 and 12. It had a lot of great songs, even if some of the techno ones really didn't appeal to me. The orchestrated scores, and even some of the rock/alternative/pop songs on the disc were great. The series has such musical diversity, it's hard not to find something on the discs you'd like.

As for ones I purchased, I would say the Haibane Renmei soundtrack would be my favorite, even if it was missing the song with the harmonica from an earlier episode. The music is really quite soothing and portrays a similar degree of depth like the series does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
The pickings for domestic anime soundtrack releases are slim enough in the US, so I imagine Australia has to be worse. Geneon USA was the only company you could rely on to release anime soundtracks over here. So, with them gone the pickings are probably going to practically disappear. This means trying to get the Japanese releases. CD Japan has a nice selection. For out of print CDs, Yahoo! Japan Auctions is a good place to go. The problem with YJA is it's hard to navigate if you don't know Japanese. Also, 99.9% of the auctioneers don't ship overseas, which means going through a deputy service which is going to cost you.

Keonyn wrote:
As for ones I purchased, I would say the Haibane Renmei soundtrack would be my favorite, even if it was missing the song with the harmonica from an earlier episode.

I'm kind of disappointed that they couldn't get Blue Flow on there. But then their is the single release which has the full version so it's not much of a loss. I really like Wondering and Ailes Grises.

The best OST I've bought is easily Revolutionary Girl Utena: Revival Record of the Rose Egg SOFIA! -Middle Ages Revive! - Utinam Reviviscat Medium Aevum. It has early versions of the opening and duel songs from the movie but other then those, these songs have never appeared anywhere in either the series or movie. My favorite song is We Who Have Cast Ourselves Aside Have Become Fallen Angels.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote
Hey, special thanks to dormcat for pointing out my location, yeah I haven't even heard of half the stores, but thanks for the suggestions anyway. I travel to Manila pretty often and occasionally Singapore. They have a Kinokuniya in Sydney, but ironically, despite selling all the good anime DVDs, they don't sell audio. Speaking of that, is there a good place in Manila or Singapore which could fit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
from where you live online is the way to go, like some have said its hard to find a store in the US that sells OST's.

its wierd, here in Austin, TX.......we have FYE (For Your Entertainment) Best Buy for some, Suncost for again some, and then GameFellas which has a hugh selection of anime OST's and japanses' bands, along with rare and hard to find anime plus now direct from japan anime DVDs
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Yes I think there are tons of places in both Singapore and Manila (Philippines) that will probably sell tons of anime stuff. There will probably be tons of places selling bootlegs but I also expect there to be many legitimate CD/DVD sellers as well. I am not an expert on those regions though, maybe dormcat would know more since he is from Taiwan, but then again maybe not. I have seen people discussing anime stores in both these cities on other message boards but I don't remember the names of any of them. If no one here can help you, your best bet might be to try to find other forums associated with those countries and ask there.

BTW Keonyn, did the last Eureka Seven CD boxed in with the special edition of Volume 12 contain 2 discs or 1 disc? I know that the other OSTs are both 2 disc CD sets each. I saw the last CD (Complete Best) for sale in Suncoast separately (not in the DVD special edition) and on the case it said that it contained 2 discs, one CD and one DVD (with video clips of the intros and endings or something).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2