• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Eater (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
death the kid with his "Perfection Illness" seems like he will be a pretty interesting and funny character.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I actually liked Black Star quite a bit! I don't know, I guess it's because he reminds me a lot of Naruto in very obvious ways. Wink I'm just a big fan of those kinds of spunky, overconfident shounen characters. I like how you think there's no reason to like them, but then there's all these underlying reasons as to why them being that way is what makes them such great people. It's cliche, yes, but I personally don't care at all because I love it so much. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Mifune was definitely an awesome character in this though, no question about that. Cool

Last edited by BrothersElric on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Much Mifune love all around <3
countchocula86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess it's because he reminds me a lot of Naruto in very obvious ways.

I guess thats exactly why I dont like him haha. I actually really dislike Naruto (most of the time). As well, in episode 2, I found the fight not nearly as interesting as Maka/Souls fight in the first episode. I mean, its not so much that Id stop watching, even if he has an arc/mini-arc, its just irritating.

Death the Kid looks like he can be a very interesting and entertaining character. Im excited to see ep 3.

And how can one not love Mifune (rhetorical question, dont answer it)
Skys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 2 in HD (The art really looked amazing). Personally, I enjoyed it. I did not find Black Star as annoying as others found him. I actually found him quite entertaining. What I am really looking forward to, though, is episode 3 with Death the Kidd and his obsessive compulsive personality disorder. He was a really fun character in the manga and I am expecting him to be the same in the anime.

Last edited by Skys on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
although I did find Black Star to be somewhat annoying the fight more than made up for any misgivings I had about the episode.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
so i just got done watching episode 1, the art work is the coolest i have seen in along time!! very Tim Burton like
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
got done with episode 2, the fight scene wasnt that great. episode 1 was alot better. Death the Kid looks like it will be a great episode, cant wait to see it.

also i love the sun and the moon looks
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
For those interested in manga vs anime changes...

This one had a lot of dialogue changes, probably due to censorship.

- spoiler[They went there to kill Mifune because he has a soul that is worth (or worth more than) 99 souls. The anime is side-stepping the fact that the kids are killing humans, and is instead making it all about Kishin Eggs.]

- spoiler[All the floating souls were supposed to be the slaughtered bodies. He doesn't bring the souls back in the manga.]

- spoiler[Black Star was supposed to be reciting the "Laws of Peeping" Laughing ]

This chapter is probably the most morally ambiguous of all the ones I can think of, so the big change doesn't surprise me.

If (when?) they diverge from the manga, I hope Mifune gets a bigger role <3

Edit: Oh yeah, no changes in the late show version again.
Wotonito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
i just finished watching episode 2... UGGH the VA's are so annoying, first Maka and Soul, now Star!? Tsubaki is the only one who had a VA that fit her personality. but i must admit the artwork is great... they need to change the VA's, if they can, i find Star realy annoying right now and it messed up my image of how i see him in the manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't possibly imagine Black Star in anything other than a Naruto voice Laughing
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I liked episode two much better and am getting an improved feel for the show. It really is reminding me of Gurren Lagann with all those bright colors and surrealistic drawings. Plus Mifune kind of reminds me of Viral in later episodes, while I can't help noticing similarities between Black Star and Kamina.

Plus Death the Kid looks like he's going to be very funny or at least interesting.
Maase

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
Guys... STOP SPOILING WITH MANGA!!! This the freaking Anime Thread, not Manga

Talk about Manga in the other forum :\

Geez, you almost spoiled me there :\
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Who's spoiling? I don't see anything in the past week, and anything else is under marked spoilers just like any other thread.
Astraea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
I think I'm going to like this series. The design is wonderfully surreal, and the story seems light-hearted at the moment. But fun with it, which is important.

I watched the first two episodes last night, and liked how the only thing which prevent Maka and Soul Eater from achieving their goal was...a mistake. A simple mistake. Yet following on from that, rather than go immediately into the start of a quest for the next 99 plus one souls, we get introduced to Black Star. A kid with confidence, ability, but no subtlety whatsoever, a funny contrast to how Maka and Soul worked together in episode 1.

Personally, I found him irritating but amusing. I think he'll grow on me, and I'll be interested to see how/if they develop his character and relationship with Tsubaki considering Mifune's comment about how it was she, the weapon, and not the Meister, that has allowed Black Star to survive so far.

Could any of the manga readers please tell me if Mifune and Angela turn up again?

Am really looking forward to watching the next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 26