• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Anime Center Posts "Stop! Fan-Subtitle" Notice

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elisian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
Asian Guy wrote:

A thief will find 1 thousand 1 excuse as to why he/she stealing to make the immoral crime he/she did to be something that are right.

Razz Anime Losers Razz

I think you just called me a thief, but I guess I'm ok with that. I absolutely will not download a title that has been licensed, and once it is licensed I buy all of it that I watched online. I am an anime fan, and have no shame in admitting that I'm one of those lametastic losers that is still buying their dvds, and supporting the industry. I'm also willing to admit that I love alot of shows that may never come here. If they do then by all means, I'm always looking for ways to improve my collection.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

6 million downloads per week is too much to overlook. If each download generates a dollar, Japanese animation industry would've become prosperous as video game industry.

Yeah, but at least 5 million of those downloads is Naruto. And the people involved with Naruto are probably already multi millionaires, so what's the difference?

I'm just kidding, of course. Well, about the point of the argument, I still believe the majority of the downloads is friggin Naruto. Laughing

Though really, instead of cracking down on the 'fans' providing these fansubs for free online, shouldn't they spend some time on those Hong Kong made pirate DVDs that are making a small fortune for doing very little? Especially because these day's they're just copying the R1 DVD releases and using DVDshrink to cram more onto a single disk. Really, that was what I always bought when I was young, moneyless and had a hard drive far too small to hold a fansub.

I see why they want to go after the free episodes because, well, '6 million downloads a week', but... I dunno, there really does feel like a nasty difference between someone who gives away a bunch of someone's product for free and someone that uses someone else's hard work and sells it for money. The latter seems like a lot more serious of an offense. But its all about the money, I guess, because the free fansubs are losing them more money in their minds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
wrote:
I guess I download as much as the next guy, but only if a show is not available in the States. Our house rule is if you watch more than one episode online, then you like it enough to buy it when it hits our stores. I think that is fair.

That's a good maxim to live by. So long as you're buying what you enjoy you're helping to be part of the solution. "Thief" is just a label in your case.

Quote:
Data has shown that in the United States, there have been over 6 million downloads in any given week.

Out of interest, what are the European statistics like? I hope the "countermeasure council" will be considering all of the foreign markets/problem areas when they come to their solutions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
Elisian wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:

A thief will find 1 thousand 1 excuse as to why he/she stealing to make the immoral crime he/she did to be something that are right.

Razz Anime Losers Razz

I think you just called me a thief, but I guess I'm ok with that. I absolutely will not download a title that has been licensed, and once it is licensed I buy all of it that I watched online. I am an anime fan, and have no shame in admitting that I'm one of those lametastic losers that is still buying their dvds, and supporting the industry. I'm also willing to admit that I love alot of shows that may never come here. If they do then by all means, I'm always looking for ways to improve my collection.

I don't get what you mean by that, are you saying you will download Anime if they are still not licensed in America or in where you live now? You said you will buy the Anime you download once it is licensed so you should be allowed to steal/download them before it is licensed in where you are, correct?

I'm not calling you as thief alone but anyone who read this topic who all this time still downloading Anime.

Just to make it clear, there is no ecuse to steal something. Stealing are and immoral and crime action. So if there are Anime not licensed in where you are then bear with it or go to Japan to buy it, I'm sure there are many Japanese online shop that can ship Anime overseas so there is no excuse to steal Anime.
Elisian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
I'm not trying to argue with you. I buy what I can ,but due to region coding which is completely stupid I can't play foreign dvds. That right there could be a solution. If we stopped having everything region coded, then ordering from over seas would help people like me who want to buy it, but can't. As for people that don't want to pay for it I don't know how to help them, but for people that want to be caught up with their fave show in Japan, or want to watch something that isn't out where they live, region coding might be an answer. Thank you for helping me with that idea. I like it.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
@ AsianGuy: The problem is most downloaders don't think of it as stealing, stealing implies you violently coming into someones home, trashing the place, and taking their TV, Where as downloading something from the internet seems more like watching a show on TV, both seem effectively free to the viewer. The industry can put out a thousand press releases to the effect of "Fansubs is stealing" but they'll never get through, instead they should move with the times like GDH and give a legal alternative, that might seem as free as a TV broadcast, but they still get money through advertising or a subscription,people are clearly willing to get a subscription judging by the case of Crunchyroll, and it was ILLEGAL, if there was a more legal version where one could pay a monthly subscription, get a subbed episode with little to no downtime, with the possibility of ad revenue, Fansubbers would be defeated, thankfully the industry is going in that direction.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
Elisian wrote:
I'm not trying to argue with you. I buy what I can ,but due to region coding which is completely stupid I can't play foreign dvds. That right there could be a solution. If we stopped having everything region coded, then ordering from over seas would help people like me who want to buy it, but can't. As for people that don't want to pay for it I don't know how to help them, but for people that want to be caught up with their fave show in Japan, or want to watch something that isn't out where they live, region coding might be an answer. Thank you for helping me with that idea. I like it.

Oh I see, then here another solution for what you call stupid region coding, just buy Japanese DVD player. I'm sure the price are more cheaper than 1 Anime DVD.

DonQuigleone wrote:
@ AsianGuy: The problem is most downloaders don't think of it as stealing, stealing implies you violently coming into someones home, trashing the place, and taking their TV, Where as downloading something from the internet seems more like watching a show on TV, both seem effectively free to the viewer. The industry can put out a thousand press releases to the effect of "Fansubs is stealing" but they'll never get through, instead they should move with the times like GDH and give a legal alternative, that might seem as free as a TV broadcast, but they still get money through advertising or a subscription,people are clearly willing to get a subscription judging by the case of Crunchyroll, and it was ILLEGAL, if there was a more legal version where one could pay a monthly subscription, get a subbed episode with little to no downtime, with the possibility of ad revenue, Fansubbers would be defeated, thankfully the industry is going in that direction.

They basically know stealing is taking other peoples belonging without permission.

Why don't you try to get Animax or Anime only channel? you can watch Anime 24 hours on it by paying montly.
Elisian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
I just think nixing the region coding would actually help. Not just anime fans, but everyone. I don't think everyone should have to own 12 dvd players to watch movies from deffierent countries. If we could come up with a more universal dvd system that would be an excellent solution. I really, truly believe that. I know that I have interests in British, and Australlian films as well. I'm sure there are other people out there who are the same way.
bluecloud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Where's the stop uploading raws to share/perfect dark poster?

Exactly. It's like they've totally forgotten that the whole reason how fansubs can exist is because of Japanese uploaders...

As if fansub couldn't have existed without Japanese uploaders... Fansubs exist BECAUSE THERE ARE FANSUBBERS. You watch anime illegally because YOU ARE SO SELFISH YOU DON'T CARE FOR THE ANIME INDUSTRY AND THE FUTURE OF ANIME. Don't make such a silly excuse ever again.

Quote:
I really hope this 'symposium' thing isn't just going to be some half assed look at illegal anime distribution, and at the end of it either some huge operation is going to take place, at the same time killing off these 'fans', and then killing off the new found revenue that Gonzo and other possible companies could make from using those 'fans'... Or they're just do a little bit and nothing will change...

Things are getting better and better for you (real or self-proclaimed) fans actually, but getting rid of raws and fansubs is inevitable anyway once there is a way.

Quote:
Get serious Japan, even when all the evidence is placed in front of your nose you ignore it and look for the scapegoat of a 'secondary' illegal anime distribution method.

They ARE getting serious, finally. It's YOU who have to be serious about anime. If you "fans" like to watch ALL anime shows immediately and legally, you need to prove that "many anime shows(more than half of them to say the least) are sufficiently profitable OUTSIDE of Japan." Producing anime is not volunteering, you know. Also, illegality isn't(, wasn't and won't be) an option.

Quote:
sorry to continue the rant as I've already said a lot of stuff to do with it..

I agree at this point. I'm totally sick of seeing/hearing any childish rants that some of you make.

Quote:
At least now Gonzo are working towards a proper goal.

At least I don't think that cooperation with a company like Crunchyroll is a very good idea.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
Most Asian countries have the same region codes, the same with European or America. Region codes for DVD or other portable stuff are not divided by countries but by region such as continent. So you can play Philippina or Chinese DVD in your Japanese DVD since the region code are the same.
krelyan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
On the majority of DVD players, region coding can be removed with a couple clicks of your remote. Razz
bluecloud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think you just called me a thief, but I guess I'm ok with that.

lol.
Quote:
I absolutely will not download a title that has been licensed,

Do you think you're allowed to watch any show illegally unless it's easy for you to do it legally? Are you serious about that?
Quote:
I'm also willing to admit that I love alot of shows that may never come here. If they do then by all means, I'm always looking for ways to improve my collection.

"by all means"? Does it mean "no matter how many companies go under"? You can't do any business without profit.
Elisian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
I am dead serious. I'm also done with this topic. I spoke my mind, and that was the point. I am still not bothered, or ashamed. I know what I do, and I know who I promote. I will continue, to collect and promote the product available to me. Case closed.
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
There are those real shameful peoples who feel no shame on doing something shameful. Just hope the Japanese Anime community not black listing America that can cause Anime stopped to be imported into America, if the worse case come then this option are possible. If Japanese black listing America then it will make the International Anime community to look down on any American Anime fans or those who call themselves as Anime fans from United State America.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
And there were signs all over telling Japanese "fans" to stop uploading the shows to the internet and downloading on their side of the pond, right? Rolling Eyes

Trying to get the downloaders to stop is valiant, if futile, effort but I hope they continue to look at the big picture and realize that simply asking the pirates to stop isn't going to get anything done and legal efforts are not the way to go. While I have little to no interest in Gonzo's two new shows, I applaud their effort in trying to come up with some actual solutions rather than just point fingers at fansubbers (but not the "fans" on the Japanese side Rolling Eyes ) while refusing to actually do anything different.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11