• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll States it is Investigating Situation After Voice Actor Claims Company Opened His M

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 9:01 am Reply with quote
If true, that’s really messed up. Crunchyroll constantly gives themselves bad PR.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 9:29 am Reply with quote
I made a thread about this the other day here: Reddit.com/r/anime/comments/1gc9air/comment/ltx5d4k/?context=3. Shame on the people that did this to David and to the mail of how ever many other people.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 9:40 am Reply with quote
I know some studios have company policies regarding collecting and holding onto personal fan mail (usually for safety reasons), but I cannot imagine it would have been that difficult to just contact the recipient and be like "hey fyi we don't accept fan mail for individuals as a policy, so if you could inform people of a PO box that would be more appropriate... but like also come collect these packages that did arrive."

Versus just opening them and allowing random employees to take contents in addition to throwing away the mail
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 9:46 am Reply with quote
Like a lawyer to explain if this legally counts as tampering with mail or not; that's a federal offense if so.
lealex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 9:47 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
If true, that’s really messed up. Crunchyroll constantly gives themselves bad PR.

David Wald said this was going on for five years. That means Funimation was doing it before the Crunchyroll merger.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 9:48 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll just loves to give us reasons not to like them, now don’t they?

This is literally a crime. Those responsible are criminals and need to be punished.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:01 am Reply with quote
I was disgusted when I saw this from David on his X account, it's unbelievable that it's been going on for so long. There's little excuse they can give considering how long it's been happening and I hope that CR move their butts and do something about it. The fact that it also happened at Funimation too beggars belief. Talk about a PR disaster for CR and I see some are going to cancel their subscription while others who were thinking of joining have now said they won't. I think CR will move quickly to at least appear to do something to set this right.
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:42 am Reply with quote
I'm never surprised by any of Crunchyroll's drama.The stuff they get away with is pretty wild. Gotta get our anime I guess.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
This is some incredible bullshit from a company already known for its incredible bullshit.

There's no way they can make this right since unique personal messages and items have either been given away or outright destroyed.

Some people have been wondering, or weirdly trying to defend Crunchyroll, by trying to assume the mail was addressed c/o Crunchyroll, but right up front Wald stated that it was his private mail. And, the new official statement destroys that theory since Crunchyroll claims they do not open any fan mail at all, yet obviously that has been happening.

And let's not overlook the fact that it was happening for *years*. And was probably happening to other people's mail as well. Or, if not, and this was some kind of malicious targeting of Wald specifically, makes it even worse.

I really struggle to envision any scenario where this was an accidental misunderstanding that absolves Crunchyroll of blame.

Mail theft and tampering are federal felonies that carry jail time and significant fines *per piece of mail*. The US Postal Inspection Service is a terrifying law enforcement organization that does not mess around. I hope Wald reaches out to them, I hope they investigate, and I hope Crunchyroll and its management get nailed to the wall for this.
crh1985

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 11:00 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Like a lawyer to explain if this legally counts as tampering with mail or not; that's a federal offense if so.

Massing will, opening, or dispersing of mail delivered by the USPS with out the person express permission (unless the recipient is under age and in that case it is left up to there parents/guardian this question) is a federal crime to the individuals involved and any Companies involved as well and can all be taken to court independently or as a group on the federal government choosing.

I had to deal with this when my mother opened my mail with intent and i was told something like this from a lawyer and a representative of the USPS (a postal inspector)

Last edited by crh1985 on Sun Oct 27, 2024 11:05 am; edited 4 times in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 11:02 am Reply with quote
David Wald also tweeted this about his experience at Crunchyroll https://x.com/DavidWald_VA/status/1850014781115109449
el_morris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
So the company, not an employee, is responsible for this? And he found out after five years? I have some doubts on this. I don't know how things work in the USA, in my (third-world) country any gifts are delivered directly to the artist in a convention, because we like the proximity and contact with them, and also because our postal service sucks ass.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 11:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The US Postal Inspection Service is a terrifying law enforcement organization that does not mess around.
There are few people and/or groups I've learned through an error from my father, stories from people I know and from my own experience not to mess with. Along with the Fire Marshall, DHS, OSHA, Game Warden, a Judge and The US Postal Inspection Service you do not I REPEAT do not f*** around with them.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 11:10 am Reply with quote
el_morris wrote:
So the company, not an employee, is responsible for this? And he found out after five years? I have some doubts on this. I don't know how things work in the USA, in my (third-world) country any gifts are delivered directly to the artist in a convention, because we like the proximity and contact with them, and also because our postal service sucks ass.
He's referring to the employees who were given the items who had no way to know they belonged to anyone else.
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 11:49 am Reply with quote
I have my doubts, it just seems too unbelievable and it's kind of rediculous that people are so willing to take this guys word on this when he doesn't have any actual evidence. He openly admitted that he hasn't even spoken with the company he just went straight to airing his grievances on social media which is pretty shady behavior.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2