• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2024 Anime Trailer Watch Party Returns with Mother's Basement!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Over 60 trailers? Lordy…
Puchu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Regarding villainess stories with a more unique hook, there's one where the villainess main character decides to crossdress and become one of the love interests, since they all get happy endings. Turns out, she's so good at being a dreamboat prince (and army drill sergeant) that... All the male love interests fall for her. In her dude form. It's honestly pretty funny. (The hook is also the title, as per usual with these things).

There's also one where the main character loops back and her first go-around was so miserable she basically becomes a mob boss her second go. I forgot the title, but it's probably something like The Villainess Becomes True Evil, that's how these things roll. I believe there's a BL series with a similar vibe called.... Doku wo Kurawaba Sara Made? (translates to something like "if you're gonna eat poison, lick the plate", it's a saying, meaning that if you're gonna do something bad, you might as well go all out).

I'm also fond of The Person Inside The Villainess (classic reincarnation, she tries to do good, but in the end she's betrayed by the main characters she thought would believe her, and the original villainess personality who'd been watching the whole time takes over and gets revenge), nice twist there too.

And for a different take on the otome game genre, I like Otome Game no Heroine de Saikyou Survival (Strongest survival with an otome game heroine?) which, despite the terrible title, is actually good. Lots of great, strong, morally questionable female characters, and a really good hook: Tragic but sweet orphan damsel game main character is attacked by a reincarnated chick who wants to steal her body to live out her harem dreams, learns that all the suffering in her life so far has just been backstory for a future trite romance, goes "nah, f that bs" and runs off into the wilderness to become a vicious ball of murder. And she's not automatically OP, she has to work for it and basically fights like a cornered animal throughout the series. I recommend the novels over the manga simply because I feel the manga art is far too cute for the actual material, but I'd love an anime of this one. The battles are epic, everyone's motivations make sense even when it's messed up logic, and the whole thing goes so hard.

Honestly, while there's a lot of trash on Narou/Kakuyomu/Alphapolis and the like, there are actually some series that aren't cookie cutter carbon copies, and would probably make for solid anime with an okay budget. Oftentimes, though, the content just doesn't translate very well, not to the screen, and not to English. The "this is what we're adapting??" is real every season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1