• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Two things I really appreciated about this episode was 1) how Toya's inner voice was still a child's compared to his deeper more adult-sounding voice. Really drove home how he missed out on some very formative years and how horrific that would be to wake up to.

And second, I appreciated how episodes after we had AFO talk about how the reason he remains in control is by creating so many branching paths and leaving his options as open as possible when it comes to his plans/the underlings working for him like the Aoyamas/etc... we do see how Dabi was also essentially just a contingency plan in case things didn't work out with the then-young Tomura.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Always found hilarious how Jiro, of all characters, popped out from nowhere to fight AFO.

And using Tokoyami as a glorified magic carpet on top of that.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Knowing spoiler[that she’ll lose one of her earjacks makes this rather tragic.]
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:51 am Reply with quote
It's kind of funny that an episode focusing more on the lesser-used members of the class is titled, "Extras."
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:45 pm Reply with quote
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:
Dabi was defeated in TWO attacks, he was almost one-shotted. This is probably the most dissapointing villain that i have ever seen in battle shonen. Truely shameful what the author did to this character.

Considering how broken Dabi was and spoiler[later on what happens with AFO] this is kinda funny.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It's kind of funny that an episode focusing more on the lesser-used members of the class is titled, "Extras."

Oh, that's on purpose.

The whole thing with AFO is that he sees himself as the final boss, he calls himself "The Demon Lord" all the time in the cheesiest way possible.

Making him fight "Extras" instead of being in the main battlefield is a narrative middle finger.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the new OP quite frankly...
Impermanence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I am so sick of Todoroki's entire family.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:09 am Reply with quote
The Todorokis are about the only thing still keeping my interest. Although, if they kill off Hawks, I'ma flip some tables...
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:52 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I don't like the new OP quite frankly...

The prior OP was much better.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:41 am Reply with quote
Fantastic death scene for Bakugo. One can only hope it sticks, unlike Bleach's infamous fake out with spoiler[Byakuya]. I respect stories that know how to keep a character dead, such as Rave Master, Kekkaishi, and Jujutsu Kaisen.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, but I really love the scene of Bakugo touching his neck.

I think it's the only scene in the whole series he looks happy and with an smile without malicious intent.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Loved the vulnerability and innocence in Bakugo's voice in that final scene. We've seen him break down before but we've never seen this side of him. He truly sounded like a kid talking to his idol.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I've never been in love with this series, but one thing I did come to like is Bakugo's development from an edgy bully to respectable. It's a common trope in anime/manga for sure, but I liked it. So to see him die is not a move I'm particularly fond of.

It doesn't help that I got spoiled of it on Tumblr of all places. I actually was caught up to the anime aside from this one newest episode when I got spoiled... =/
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:24 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not sure about Dabi picking up again. One win followed by lots of struggles/setbacks seemed fair. Plus, Dabi was something of a known quantity since he didn't have any body or quirk alterations. Shoto developed an ultimate move to beat him that was thematically on-point, so it seems disappointing to see him deal with something improvised. Tomura's body changes are something that we've seen going all the way back to the first Nomu being super strong without using a quirk, and All-for-One's use of the reversal bullet has been something they've been sitting on for quite some time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7