• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Launches 20th Anniversary Project With TV Version of 1st 2 Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Why a TV edit of the first two movies, though? When those two are already remake of the first two seasons? Aren't we just better off watching those? They're literally going all Street Fighter II on the first two seasons.
Amritzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Ebb1993 wrote:
Why a TV edit of the first two movies, though? When those two are already remake of the first two seasons? Aren't we just better off watching those? They're literally going all Street Fighter II on the first two seasons.
Because those two movies themselves aren't relevant anymore, or rather, after Strikers, or maybe even earlier, Nanoha franchise (if you can call it that) in general wasn't relevant anymore.

Movies haven't really helped reviving the series; you simply need a series format for this kind of anime.

Even then, looking at the numbers, Nanoha was never as big as we would like to think.

https://myanimelist.net/people/8826/Masaki_Tsuzuki - sort by the number of members, and you will understand everything.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:05 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, though, the franchise did start falling apart with Strikers...
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:23 pm Reply with quote
IMHO if they did any sort of remake, I'd rather they did StrikerS. It was incredibly half-baked despite being 2 cours. The antagonists were literal numbers, and only like 2-3 of them got any character development whatsoever. Also, the constant "one arm tied behind their backs" having to request juuuuust enough limiter unlock to deal with the situation meant the stakes were underwhelming to say the least.

Or more of Vivid Strikers, but with a proper budget this time. It was interesting enough in its own right, but the presentation clearly suffered from the lack of budget for an action series.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:20 am Reply with quote
Ebb1993 wrote:
To be fair, though, the franchise did start falling apart with Strikers...

StrikerS had twice more DVD/BDs sold per volume than As and first two movies were very successful. Franchise is on decline now (though, I personally liked both Vivid Strike and last two movies) but it is definetelly did not start with StrikerS as much as some people dislike it.

They are recaping fiorst two movies as a quick way to remind the people what it is about before dropping some new installment I presume. The question is in what form they will drop it.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:34 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
IMHO if they did any sort of remake, I'd rather they did StrikerS. It was incredibly half-baked despite being 2 cours. The antagonists were literal numbers, and only like 2-3 of them got any character development whatsoever. Also, the constant "one arm tied behind their backs" having to request juuuuust enough limiter unlock to deal with the situation meant the stakes were underwhelming to say the least.

Or more of Vivid Strikers, but with a proper budget this time. It was interesting enough in its own right, but the presentation clearly suffered from the lack of budget for an action series.

I still think everything went wrong with the franchise after Strikers. That one was pure garbage.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:19 am Reply with quote
Ebb1993 wrote:

I still think everything went wrong with the franchise after Strikers. That one was pure garbage.

StrikerS was fine, the problem is that they mismanaged the series afterwards.

Because StrikerS received blowback from people who disliked the idea of the protags becoming adults, the continuation of the franchise was split into 2 parts: Force, which would be a more serious addition and ViVid, which would focus on cute girls doing cute stuff.

Force ended up getting bad reviews (I liked it but it got serious hate because of the male protag, "edgy" antagonists who defeated fan favourite characters, etc) so it got scrapped and Vivid had to carry the weight of the series moving forward which it was never really designed to do.

This is where the problems really began, because the powers that be decided after this to stop doing new stories and only rehash old stuff with new cans of paint, like Vivid Strike, which was a rehash of Vivid and Detonation and Reflection, which were rehashes of A's and Gears.

Any franchise will end up becoming stale if they never do new stuff.
Amritzer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I liked Teana in Strikers, but really I think people always wanted focus on Nanoha and Fate as they we're in first two seasons.

Even Hayate, who was supposed to be 3rd main girl never ended up as beloved as they them.

And I say that as someone who Likes a Lot of stuff and later characters.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:56 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
I liked Teana in Strikers, but really I think people always wanted focus on Nanoha and Fate as they we're in first two seasons.

You do realize Teana was the cause behind one of the worst moments of not only Strikers, but of the entire franchise as a whole, yes?
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:35 am Reply with quote
Ebb1993 wrote:
Amritzer wrote:

You do realize Teana was the cause behind one of the worst moments of not only Strikers, but of the entire franchise as a whole, yes?

I love constructive criticism especially on my favorite franchises. So you have to be more specific, You can even use spoiler tags spoiler[Like this], if you don't want to ruin the experience for new people. Because as someone who really liked Strikers, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Hell, I will even go further in saying, I think they should just go ahead and remake Strikers. Strikers would benefit from updated visuals and either expanding the episode count or dropping some of the storylines for a tighter narrative. spoiler[ That and I would super drop Jail's strategy of impregnating all of the clones in case of his death, that was just a bad idea. ] Some people like to tell me that Strikers wasn't popular but it spun off several series (Vivid, Force, Vivid Strike and that odd card one that I think everyone forgot), and plenty of fan works (like I think I have found at least over 50 doujins for Strikers alone).

I will concede that Strikers was nowhere near as popular as A's (which is the franchise's peak). To the point where the two latest movies were direct follow ups to A. And if we are remaking the two movies, I'm hoping we get more time with Nanoha's family and friends. I enjoyed the scenes she had with them in the original series and I was sad to see that almost all their scenes were cut from the movies. The world feels more alive when we can see her not as just a super powered magical girl.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:45 am Reply with quote
Basically, spoiler[Teana fucked up real bad, and then Nanoha brutally punishes her, traumatizing Subaru.] But to be honest, I don’t give a shit about Nanoha anymore, and it really should have ended with A’s because that was a perfect sendoff for her. Strikers and beyond are just nightmares.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2