• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tasuketsu -Fate of the Majority- (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Tasuketsu -Fate of the Majority- (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 6 volumes, by Taiga Miyakawa)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Satelight

Genres: drama

Themes: survival game

Plot Summary: Suddenly, the game begins. "Tasūketsu" is a harsh survival game where the majority of players will lose. In order to confront the game's powerful mastermind, The Emperor, male and female players will carve out their own destiny using their mysterious special powers, known as "Privileges."

Air Date & Platform:
July 2, 2024 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:36 am Reply with quote
I'm not really sure what I just saw.

I like a well written, well produced survival game anime if it's about survival. As in, people can do something to survive. Hide. Fight. Figure out puzzles. Work together or trick each other depending on the context. Try to stay alive long enough to try to turn the tables on the captor(s). I don't like survival game anime that are about watching basically innocent people get tortured by a seemingly all powerful sadistic force, or that have every person except (maybe) one turn out to be a raving sociopath (although if it's a survival game that people entered willingly, that's a bit different). So, for example, I liked Btoom as messed up as it was. I didn't like The King's Game.

So I have a few problems with the set-up of this anime.

-There doesn't seem to be much that people can do. I don't just mean to survive, I mean, running around looking for envelopes and boxes at random doesn't seem very fun to watch, and just answering questions doesn't seem very exciting.

- The people involved are dumb. Okay, we just met. Everyone go back to their homes individually and we'll meet again tomorrow. What?!?!

- The people thus far don't really have much in the way of personality. Maybe shocked, traumatized people wouldn't, but if that's the rationale, the first episode should have spent more time introducing the people in the classroom IMHO. It's hard to invest in mannequins.

Now, presumably, there's going to be more to it. The existence of privileges - envelopes that will grant people supernatural/psychic abilities suggests as much as you don't need those kinds of abilities to answer questions. It may be that this whole thing is just a set-up to try to get all the people left to kill each other. If there's nobody left but you to answer questions, you're automatically the winner. Or maybe there will be some sort of chance to fight back.

I'm also not convinced that the people dead are really dead. Although if they are, major spoiler here, spoiler[ props to the anime for having the brass to kill off the person billed as the protagonist in all the promos and whose perspective was at the forefront for most of the anime. ].

I'll probably watch next episode just to see if any of my questions get answered, but if it seems like there is no real internal logic and the people are just lab rats, not players, I'll drop it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:50 am Reply with quote
Survival battle game anime are not for me, I liked Btoom well enough but it seems like that was the sole exception to the rule since I have bounced off every other one I have tried to watch since. Part of that is indeed them often being sadistic killing games where everyone is utterly insane/evil and logic is nowhere to be found. Tasuketsu is thus another drop.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I knew I was dropping this one, but I really, truly, 100 percent knew that I was dropping it when the glass wearing dude with a gun said that the Emperor - the one in charge of the game - probably didn't understand the game either.

I found the whole thing pretty muddled. The prime rights have the ability to alter rules as the game goes along which is never a good sign, and there could be lots of them out there. People's motivations are murky as hell. The rules aren't clear or seem contradictory, and there are people hanging around in the shadows making cryptic comments as if they know exactly what is going on, which is a popular device for authors frantically trying to provide the illusion of a consistent plotline when none exists. It basically all just seems like an excuse for a writer who just wants to make things up as they go IMHO.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:19 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, we don't get many survival game anime every year, but just because they aren't as many as say, objectively mediocre isekais every season and every year, they sure don't seem to get any better or not learn how to be more straight forward and compelling.

This isn't smart writing. it's a jumbled mess of tropes and flat characters. Hands down one of the worst anime of the season and of the year so far. I can't imagine this having any fans or any appeal as the season goes on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1