• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
My $0.02 - Each season preview article should have its own comment thread, so to avoid this situation and remove the need to scan each post to see if there is something not Mushoku Tensei related for those of us who have not watched it and have no plans to do so.
Nah, it's better this way because commenters can proselytize for their favored shows in a space that people will actually see.
Nev999

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of, Tonari no Yokai san is so exactly my jam it isn't even funny. I'd say it's filling the natsume yuujinchou shaped hole in my heart but we're getting more of that in fall. Good year for lovers of sweet and heartwarming but also occasionally melancholy, mysterious and unsettling yokai anime. with calico cats.

also this season of Dunmeshi is going to be INTENSE I can't wait to see these parts animated.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:28 pm Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
Key wrote:
(A virtual cookie to any long-time site reader who can remember which title that was!)

Okay, I’ll play. Very Happy Was it Darling in the FRANXX?

Good try - that one was, IIRC, the big blow-up title of its season - but no. You have to go a few years earlier than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Good try - that one was, IIRC, the big blow-up title of its season - but no. You have to go a few years earlier than that.

Free!?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Key wrote:

Free!?

Another good try (that one was also a big blow-up), but no. Earlier than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Key wrote:

Free!?

Another good try (that one was also a big blow-up), but no. Earlier than that.

I'll try to guess. Attack on Titan and only because my other guesses were later than Free.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
THE DOG CATCHER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(A virtual cookie to any long-time site reader who can remember which title that was!)

I want a try! B Gata H kei or Kiss x Sis?
Puchu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Aristocrat appraiser - Yet another show that made me go "this is the LN getting an adaptation??". It's a good series with solid characters, but I hadn't expected the pacing to work in animated form, and I honestly didn't think it was popular enough. Fortunately, the show seems to be doing okay for itself so far. My favourite thing about this series is probably the diverse cast of characters with very real flaws (and they're treated as flaws too) without anyone being too obnoxious or irredeemably gross*, and that the MC actually has to work for things.

Tadaima, Okaeri - Every time I read the summary for this show, I was like "aww, that sounds absolutely adorable, I can't wait to watch this", and then I realized that oh wait, this is that omegaverse show. I would probably have absolutely loved this if it wasn't for the setting, but I hate omegaverse with a passion. It pisses me off biologically, genetically, sociologically and just about every other imaginable way. I refuse to consume "50s gender stereotypes - but gay! (and somehow worse)" content. Why did it have to be omegaverse, couldn't we have gone with gay isekai? There's plenty of fish in that ocean too. A lot of it rotten, terrible fish, but at least I'm not going "so you either gave zero thought to this, or you hate women and trans people, cool"**.

Oblivion Battery - I'm... basically obligated to watch anything where Mrs. Green Apple does the OP, my delight to hear that was unreal. What's also unreal is how madly this show flips between looking good and looking like absolute garbage. And I'm not talking about when it's "supposed to" for comedic effect, this is one uneven production. I can't tell if this seems gay af due to the whole pitcher-catcher thing having other connotations and me having a dirty mind, or because it's intentional fanservice to pull in the fujoshi, but I got some laughs and had a pretty good time, so I'm sticking with this one. I'm hoping the amnesiac dude tones it down as the show goes on, though, or he's probably gonna get really annoying.

*Actually, the racism probably counts, my bad
**Hyperbole, some writers manage to subvert and examine the trope, but I'm too old to wade into rivers of shit to look for gold nuggets.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The only time I can think of where discussion about one title was overwhelming enough that it had be split off into a separate thread was an extraordinary case that would make MT's discussions look casual by comparison. (A virtual cookie to any long-time site reader who can remember which title that was!)

I'll guess it was Cross Ange.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how seriously I can take the Unnamed Memory review that can't even get the character names right.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:56 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
Key wrote:
The only time I can think of where discussion about one title was overwhelming enough that it had be split off into a separate thread was an extraordinary case that would make MT's discussions look casual by comparison. (A virtual cookie to any long-time site reader who can remember which title that was!)

We have a winner! No title before or since has blown up as badly in the PG response threads as that one did, partly because of an extremely provocative first episode and partly (IIRC) because some ugly social media commentary elsewhere carried over here. (And that was an original series, so you didn't even have source material comparisons to help drive the discussion.)

Roserio wrote:
I'm not sure how seriously I can take the Unnamed Memory review that can't even get the character names right.

When you see stuff like that, just post in this thread which reviewer did it and what needs to be corrected. Reviewers push to get these out quickly, so sometime these kind of errors happen, and usually they get fixed relatively quickly. (If Lynzee sees this, the error is that Litasha in Nick's Unnamed Memories review should be Tinasha.)
Daerian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Velorien wrote:
it's worth noting that the West has Lolita, which to the best of my knowledge did not give birth to a lasting upswelling of lolicon sentiment.

Because Lolita isn't at all about praising such thing as romantic or worthwhile love. It's tremendous critique of seeing such thing as love, showing us how such person might try to appeal to people to confuse them into seeing his twisted feelings as love and not abuse it was.

Pretty much all literary analysis agrees that Humbert Humbert is unreliable narrator and his words are not to be trusted, for reader to not be swayed by his honeyed way of showing his abuse as love. Showing us how monsters can hide behind intelligence and manners and manipulate people to see them as humans and their victims as less important.

Much bigger problem here in opinion of many critics is Kubrick's movie, which made Lolita much more active participant, made her (played by 14 years old girl) into "sex object" and it was said the makers wanted to make "a love story".

On the other hand, I might have missed something but all literary analysis of Tale of Genji I have read were interpreting Lady Murasaki and Genji's love shown a romantic, taking of course note for the time period it was written in. It's also only one part of the book and not even the most important among its themes.

And we should remember "Lolita" is, in the end, one book among many written in 1950ties. Genji no Monogatari is THE book, considered by many as one of the first novels in the world and has enormous legacy on entire Japanese literary tradition.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Rosiero wrote:

Oh, come on now, cut him some slack. He’s reviewed 33 shows in 8 days!
Daerian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:05 pm Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
Rosiero wrote:

Oh, come on now, cut him some slack. He’s reviewed 33 shows in 8 days!

Review machine, not human. We totally should give some slack to him and probably let him rest Anime hyper

(I sometimes cannot remember some names at the END of watching the show, after 12-13 episodes Anime hyper)
minamikaze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
minamikaze wrote:
Key wrote:

We have a winner! No title before or since has blown up as badly in the PG response threads as that one did, partly because of an extremely provocative first episode and partly (IIRC) because some ugly social media commentary elsewhere carried over here. (And that was an original series, so you didn't even have source material comparisons to help drive the discussion.)

Well, there was also the circumstance that at the time, that there was an ANN reviewer who had been repeatedly opining on these boards that fan-service was wrong and should be banned, and as result, discussions on that point in response to that reviewer's review and comments about Cross Ange's first episode exploded.

Then there was the follow up Answerman feature that suggested that there was something wrong with people who didn't condemn fan-service and that people who watched it risked deadening their souls. So the source of the blow up wasn't entirely external. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 32