• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reports: Nintendo Switch Successor to Launch in 1st Quarter 2025

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Ah, we're confidently spreading misinformation now. Let's no generalize and push the narrative that most PS5 gamers feel that way even though it's the opposite. Most people agree that of all PS consoles PS5 has had the best launch line up with titles like Demon's Souls and Miles Morales. The first years had better offerings than the PS4 in its first years. (Ratchet & Clank, Returnal, Kena, GoW Ragnarok, GT7, Horizon Forbidden West, FF16, Spider Man 2 and so on.) No to mention PSVR2 and its games. And why does it mater if 4 of these games are cross gen? How does it affect you in any way? You're still getting the superior experience on PS5 and judging by the sales most copies were sold on PS5 anyway.
Some history revisionism going on in here in order to sounds more credible.

Also, "and still no 1st party next-gen game in sight" since when are Spider Man 2, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls and Wolverine not 1st party next gen games?

I'm glad you're satisfied with what Ps5 has offered. But we are long past launch and midway through the PS5's cycle, and event cursory glance at the libraries of the PS2, PS3 and PS4 would put PS5 to shame. This is a common opinion and sentiment of many hardcore gamers. You can find various topics discussing the current state of the industry and AAA games on many popular forums.

These sentiments are that the government lockdowns and remote working have slowed development down considerably. The cross-gen period has lasted too long, and the length of time for development on AAA games have meant fewer of them , plus the idea that those that have been released, outside of a handful don't take full advantage of the PS5 hardware from a next-gen graphics point of view.

Even Sony has acknowledged this and told investors that they are not yet leveraging their AAA franchises yet. Remakes and Remasters aren't that enticing, but they are there to fill the gaps with quicker turnaround, of those, only Demons Souls actually looked far above its original. Spider-Man 2 is not a big graphical leap over it's PS4 counterparts. Ratchet and Clank was significant as an early showcase, but according to Insomniac's leaked information, it bombed. Returnal is a nice niche Indy, but only sold to those who already has a PS5.

I've stuck with PS4 precisely because cross gen offerings mean I save $700 Canadian by getting those games on PS4, considering they still run well enough for me, and I'll continue to not need a PS4 given titles like Persona 3 Remake, Unicorn Overlord, and Metaphor Te Fantazio will make up the total of my gaming year until probably mid to late 2025 when Death Stranding 2 releases. Of course that's me, but it should answer your question as to why cross-gen releases matter. It means that people like me still have no incentive to pick up a PS5. Especially when the price is high, and there are not enough games that I want that necessitate me to buy it right away. I'm personally pretty good for this year only being on PS4.

Sony knows that, which is why they've cut their forecast for PS5 sales in half. Final Fantasy VOI and likely Stellar Blade should carry it through. But not much else. And they've essentially stated so to set investor expectations in check.

I'm sure 2025 will be a breakout year for next gen games as a whole. But it is a disappointing generation overall. When your main selling point is that games perform better on PS5, then that's hardly a statement in favor of those looking for a proper next gen leap in graphics like numerous dos from UnReal like the Matrix offered. Callisto Protocol came close, but it didn't perform well. When Sony's top tier talent releases a proper visual next gen leap with titles like Uncharted, Last of Us (or whatever Naughty Dog do), God of War, etc. then we can say that PS5 is living up to expectations. But most likely PS5 will receive longer cross gen support even when PS6 rolls around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3