• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
secondkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Hey! Big thanks to Caitlin Moore for mentioning Yuzuki Family's Four Sons! One of the shows this year I genuinely think is so underrated, it didn't even make it to the weekly reviews. But it is as good as Moore described: despite its premise it didn't skimp on the animation, writing, and direction. It also has one of the best fight scenes I've seen this season, and it's between kids.
q_3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably rate Migi & Dali as my personal favorite. The anime/manga comparison that feels most fitting is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, its vibe is like that series' horror episodes just without the supernatural elements.

Precure Full Bloom has been a satisfying experience, even using its reused transformations in a narratively interesting way. Hopefully this and Magilumiere are the start of a grown-up magical girl boom.

SHY also deserves a plug for being an interesting and heartfelt mashup of magical girl themes with superheroes, with a few really stellar episodes.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:43 am Reply with quote
@za21 I think I have to agree with you when it comes to JJK being a battle anime and nothing else of note. The first season indeed also had a lot of battles, yet there were some moments spent building up the world/characters and just having fun with it. That gave some including me the idea that future seasons would be the same. Looking back on it the first season was also very much focused on battles, though I would argue not on as insane a level as the current one.

The current season is one spectacle fight after another and the same can be said for character deaths. There is no break or change of pace, it is just more battles and deaths and some like that, some do not. Personally I just find it all very empty, fights look flashy yet why care, the next flashier fight will be up next. As for the characters, why care, they get disposed of very quickly in succession, so *shrug*. All that said, it is an amazing series when it comes to viewing flashy fights, a true spectacle series.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:35 am Reply with quote
Dear Steve Jones, MF Ghost was better than Overtake.

[EDIT: Post edited for language. You can disagree without being rude. - Key]
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:48 am Reply with quote
Ebb1993 wrote:
Dear Steve Jones, MF Ghost was better than Overtake.

You almost convinced me with your strong arguments....
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:08 am Reply with quote
Who on Earth would prefer a depressing drama with unlikable characters disguised as a hardcore racing anime over an actual, hardcore racing anime?
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:29 am Reply with quote
People who enjoy anime with stories, real characters and at least some form of realism? I wouldn't have minded if Overtake had some more racing, but overall it was just a good anime.

But hey, I could do without all that if at least the racing in MFG was exciting, something akin to Redline. Silly but fun. But this was one race stretched out over half of the series, with like one overtake per episode if that was even shown at all. For most part we were just looking at boring characters doing absolutely nothing behind the steering wheel. Or CG-cars drifting through every single corner even when moments before they were blabbing about tire wear. If they would edit all the good bits (including the T&A) back-to-back, it probably wouldn't even be enough to fill a single episode....

The thing with any kind of sport in a fictional story is it has to give the viewer a reason to root for the competitors. Overtake did a pretty good job on that. MFG didn't even try.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:11 am Reply with quote
I want an anime that I can enjoy, one that doesn't rely on constant drama with its bitchy and whiny characters that I've been seeing ALL the time in most modern anime.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:13 am Reply with quote
So between the sparse good moments you rather have......barely anything at all?
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:27 am Reply with quote
Wanna know what the biggest problems I have with most anime these days? They're too... dramatic. They rely too much on the sob stories of each character, most of them tend to be bitchy and whiny, and there are also too much anime with overly sadistic, evil laugh prone villains that do a lot of horrible misdeeds and they constantly get away with it. And the mood swings, dear God, the mood swings! One minute you're watching a comedy anime, the next it suddenly turns dark and dramatic for no freaking reason! It's one of my biggest pet peeves! It's like anime really can't decide if it wants to me dramatic and serious or lighthearted and goofy... Or how about the moment killers, like when a couple is about to share a kiss or hug only for their friends to run in at the last minute? That's really annoying, bad enough both Ikenaikyo and Kibou no Chikara: Otona Precure '23 ended with that. Also, anime really can't do drama well. I don't have to see a cliche where a girl constantly whines about things not even making sense before storming off in tears (another pet peeve of mine because of anime like When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace).

Last edited by Ebb1993 on Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:49 am Reply with quote
It all depends on how it's done. Nothing wrong with some drama done well, most of the best stories ever regardless of medium have a fair bit of it. But obviously for every good one there's a lot not so great ones. And as much as I like anime in general, there's far more bad than good stuff. Not only nowadays but it's always been like that.

But even if a story doesn't have drama, it does need something to get me invested. Humor, spectacular action, bravado. MFG didn't have any of that. It was like watching boring cutscenes from an old racing game.

As a car racing fan I wanted (and kinda expected) to like the series, and that's probably the only reason why I kept watching till the end. But I'm very much on the fence if I want to give the 2nd season even a chance. Heck, Initial D has been on my plan-to-watchlist for way to long, but after watching this I'm not even sure if I should watch that.

And true, MFG didn't have something resembling a villain (neither did Overtake, FWIW). But can you name one likable character? From the three people that actually seem capable of racing a car, one is the worst Gary Stu in the history of anime, the next is an arrogant prick who can hardly be bothered to race, and the third is a creepy pervert.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:41 am Reply with quote
Now look, you want to do drama better? Here are some examples. Take notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA-1w0vC7S4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OXwVxIN_kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9shDUR6dYc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHl49s_6iE

See? You don't have to be loud and whiny about it, like how a ton of anime do it! You can be far more subdued and level-headed like these examples. I swear, when anime does it, it's like someone's holding a gun to their head.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:08 am Reply with quote
Live action will always be different from animation. But even then, at what point was Overtake loud and whiny? The thing I probably liked least was the overly genki dude (one of my biggest anime pet peeves), but he was just a small part of the story and even he turned out alright at the end.

But had you rather seen a version of Overtake without any backstory, just an entire season of just one or two races spread out over a lot of episodes? No story, no character development, just cars moving across the screen?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:26 am Reply with quote
That could actually be an interesting experiment, if you were to also show things like the pit/technicians, management and how they strategize in addition to the race itself. The honest answer is that it would probably drag at some point.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:26 am Reply with quote
Not all character development is good. If it’s too depressing to watch, it just isn’t worth it. You see, I now have a new rule for anime: If there’s at least ONE shred of drama in a otherwise generally lighthearted slice of life anime, it gets an instant drop.

Last edited by Ebb1993 on Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6