• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo, Sony Develop Live-Action Zelda Film With Maze Runner Director Wes Ball

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:39 pm Reply with quote
'From the studio that brought you the live-action Knights of the Zodiac, Morbius, and Bloodshot!' Anyway, hope it doesn't turn into an over-budget and bloated YouTube fan film. Rolling Eyes
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I nominate Michael Cera as Link and Vin Diesel as Ganondorf. Jokes aside not sure why they’re going the live action route i feel like this would work better animated like the Mario movie.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:02 pm Reply with quote
On the one Avi Arad is a prima donna dickhead with bad instincts who has ruined productions due to his bizarre mandates (Spider-Man 3) and control freak tendencies...on the other hand Nintendo keeps things on a tight leash and there's no way Miyamoto is letting them screw up one of his crowning achievements. We'll see how this goes.
zekro94

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Sony...financing a film about a nintendo property.... what? It feels weird
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd give it a chance were it not for Avi Arad being a big red flag.
MrPuzzles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:34 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

I know, right?

He only...made the X-Men movies happen.

And the MCU.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Puzzles: Which also gave us Dark Phoenix and The Marvels. Rolling Eyes
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With Maze Runner Director Wes Ball

YIKES
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Kou: For some reason, I thought it was Wes Anderson. Laughing
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:15 pm Reply with quote
While I'd preferred an animated movie I think Zelda can work as a live-action film, however, it needs high production values and a good script. As for the story, I think an original one would be better, perhaps taking elements from A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild, and as for some cinematic inspirations, they should use The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Neverending Story, Ridley Scott's Legend and the recent Dungeons & Dragons as examples of how to portray a fantasy world.

MFrontier wrote:

Believe me, I hate some of the decisions Arad has made in his career as producer, particularly his meddling in Spider-Man 3 and his obsession with Venom as a character. But he has been an important figure in modern blockbusters, produced the 90s Spider-Man animated show (which was my first introduction to the character and many concepts of the Marvel universe) and he was the one to suggest having The Spot as the main villain in Across the Spider-Verse, so I'll give Avi the benefit of the doubt here.
Incidentally, it seems Arad and Sony Pictures had been negotiating with Nintendo to make movies more than ten years ago, since there were some information leaked back in 2014 on the infamous Sony Leak.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I assumed after Mario, Universal has made a backdoor pact with Nintendo for future adaptations of their IPs. Apparently it's up for everyone to grab.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The only comp we have is the WoW movie. And that one was so expensive, it almost bombed, if not for the Chinese box office. Anyway, now that Killers bombed, DiCaprio as Link?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:56 pm Reply with quote
The director of Maze Runner, Avi Arad, and the studio that Morbed the box office. This has disaster written all over it.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. The article's wording makes it sound like it's more of Nintendo's project rather than Sony's.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:08 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Huh, I assumed after Mario, Universal has made a backdoor pact with Nintendo for future adaptations of their IPs. Apparently it's up for everyone to grab.

The same universal that lost their asses on the Dark Universe?

GATSU wrote:
Puzzles: Which also gave us Dark Phoenix and The Marvels. Rolling Eyes

He wasn’t involved in either films……he was the Producer though on Daredevil, Elektra, Bratz, Both Fantasitc Four & Ghost Rider films, and a Man-Thing movie that apparently came out in 2005.

I’m surprised thought no one brought up his producer credit on Ghost In The Shell.

Silver Kirin wrote:
and his obsession with Venom as a character.

Is that any worse than modern fans and writers who think Mary Jane needs to be in a relationship with Peter to be a functional character?

Silver Kirin wrote:
But he has been an important figure in modern blockbusters, produced the 90s Spider-Man animated show

Which for as hyped as it’s fans make it out to be was not that good. In part because of fox and the other part being the animators.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3