• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Anime License Holy Grail

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemurs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:27 pm Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
The final episodes of Kokoro Connect (episodes 13-17) have never been released in foreign markets AFAIK.

It is an excellent ending to a very underrated show that needs a lot more love.

The current Sentai BD release does have all 17 episodes bundled into one set. It's labeled as "13 episodes + OVAs" where the OVAs are that 4 episode final arc.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:29 pm Reply with quote
All three seasons of Dog Days. They were fun and popular, by the director of Nanoha. And we in the West never got home video releases for them, we even got shafted the streaming of the last season. To be fair though, it WAS streamed in English in SEA on CR, so we watched those rips instead so there's that...
chronium

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:33 pm Reply with quote
For rereleases Macross Zero is the only thing that comes to mind but in terms of shows that I would like to see continued to completion are Capeta, Space Brothers, and Beck.
Tenbinzan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:34 pm Reply with quote
The Kaze to Ki no Uta OVA. It's not even available in Japan... but it did get released on DVD in Italy in 2006. So maybe there's hope? (Let me be delusional, lol.)

However, if we're talking about anime that are only available to stream... I have to mention Banana Fish, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Naoki Urasawa's Monster, and Devilman Crybaby. Please, someone, let me own them on Blu-ray! Crying or Very sad
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:49 pm Reply with quote
A bunch of my highest picks have already been mentioned: Cross Game, Monster, basically anything that Aniplex has their stupid paws on, you get the idea. But I'll raise you one: Legend of the Galactic Heroes. The real one. At a sane price, in a sane release format, instead of that ludicrous $800 monstrosity.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:51 pm Reply with quote
It's a straight up crime that Zoids isn't available whatsoever - waiting for Discotek there since they've gotten a few bucket list titles for me. On a minor note, it's baffling that Baccano and Persona 4 aren't streaming on at least Funimation - especially when Persona keeps getting more popular and the weird sequel to P4 anime is streaming.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Never_Know_Best wrote:
Man, these are mostly hardcore, deep cuts.

To be fair, that kind of come with the territory of "holy grails", i.e. nigh-unachievable but passionately desired, on a personal level.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The first title that leaps to mind is Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū and its sequel season. The closest we've come to a physical release is the DVD that was included in the 7th volume of the manga (I assume that happened, but I've never seen it, so I can't say they followed through). I don't think it needs a dub, but it does need some liner notes or something in the extras diving into the language used and puns, etc.

Also BDs of Monster. The complete Monster, with the original soundtrack intact and in the proper order. They can clean up the animation though. Smile Of course this will never happen, due to licensing squabbles.

And where the hell are Natsume Yūjinchō Go and Roku (not to mention the movies)? If they got released on BD, I missed them. Pity that NISA stopped doing those glorious premium releases they did for 1-4.

While I'm fantasizing, I'd also love a release (I'd settle for streaming here) of Saiyuki Reload: Burial. I'd had some hope for this when Sentai picked up Gaiden and rounded up the original dub cast, but was disappointed as the dub sounded like the cast was phoning in it and bored to tears. Now of course, with Hunt almost never doing voice work anymore and Guardiola's exile in disgrace from the industry, even if they did Burial the dub would need to be significantly recast. I'd still want it with just the Japanese track though.
redvelvetdoll

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

While I'm fantasizing, I'd also love a release (I'd settle for streaming here) of Saiyuki Reload: Burial. I'd had some hope for this when Sentai picked up Gaiden and rounded up the original dub cast, but was disappointed as the dub sounded like the cast was phoning in it and bored to tears. Now of course, with Hunt almost never doing voice work anymore and Guardiola's exile in disgrace from the industry, even if they did Burial the dub would need to be significantly recast. I'd still want it with just the Japanese track though.

Discotek released this last year! I own it! It's sub only but the gaiden and burial ovas are my favorite of the anime so I had to have it!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
But I'll raise you one: Legend of the Galactic Heroes. The real one. At a sane price, in a sane release format, instead of that ludicrous $800 monstrosity.

I second this.

I’d also like to see a proper NA release of the original Space Battleship Yamato, its sequels, and movies.

And maybe a Now and Then, Here and There Blu-Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I've seen A Place Further Than the Universe mentioned a few times, & I can confirm Anime Limited are still working hard on it. I imagine we'll see it sometime next year.

For a start I'll pass up on talking about .SDF Macross/DYRL or Angel's Egg. We've all heard the horror stories, officially or rumored, so those titles may as well be put in their own separate corners.

Given that I'm in the UK, what's available to us is significantly different to the US & even mainland Europe, although that's been largely negated by owning a multi-region BD player. Honestly, I can't recommend them enough. US/CAN folks will be able to get hold of titles like Anthem of the Heart or Planetes, in addition to prohibitively expensive Aniplex titles like Fate, Madoka & Kill la Kill, while on my side we have access to domestically unlicensed titles from Sentai (eg. Chihayafuru), Discotek (ie. everything!), & now that Crunchyroll is screwing us, over here, cult hits like Sonny Boy or Heike Story.

As for currently unavailable titles on both sides of the pond, I have a few examples:

Round Vernian/Galaxy Drifter Vifam. A classic 1980's mecha anime about a bunch of young kids on a spaceship, forced to evade an alien army that destroyed their homeland. I know this recently got a JP blu ray, so I guess it's time to start batting my eyes at Discotek

Yuru/Laid Back Camp. I love this precious iyashikei with all my heart, but it seems to have become a victim of the Crunchyroll/Funimation partnership breakup back in 2018 - the bad old days, in which in hindsight turned out to not so bad. Andrew Partridge of Anime Limited has been asked about this & stated that he would try, but that there are unique challenges in bringing it over.

Speaking of which, AL actually had, then lost the UK license for Rakugo Shinjuu. as a result of that break up. What could have been.

Kaleido Star. I feel it's a real shame this never quite got the same cult following as other titles aimed a younger female audiences, such as Princess Tutu or several Magical Girl titles. Set around performers in a fictionalized Circue du Soleil, it channels the same blood & tears melodrama of classic sports shoujo like Aim for the Ace or Glass Mask (although sadly not as stylistically impressive), that I imagine might even attract some fans of shounen battle tournaments, if given a chance.

Nodame Cantabile. Honestly, you could throw in a bunch of similarly-minded 00's young adult titles like Beck (still available on dvd in the UK by AL btw) or Paradise Kiss, but this remains one of my favourites. At least Sentai have brought out Nana & Hataraki Man in recent years.

Little Witch Academia. Again, you make this a representative pick for the great Netflix/Amazon/Crunchyroll prison, but as I have little love in my heart for the likes of Devilman Crybaby or Summertime Rendering, I'll stick with this.

Oh, & before I leave, someone please look into the original Hunter x Hunter. I love both versions, but in terms of mood & visuals, the 1999 was leaps ahead in many instances (cough the entire York Shin arc).

In short, why oh why aren't the licencors fighting themselves to bring out Popee the Performer? Surely they can't ignore the frenzied cries of the masses forever?

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:00 pm Reply with quote
How One Outs never got any kind of official English release is beyond me.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Mew Mew - 4Kids only dubbed the first 26 episodes, and lord did they play around with the canon. Unnecessary plot and character changed made plot holes, and Episode 122 was made into a pilot episode that had nothing to do with the other 25 episodes. Even the fan subs for TMM aren't great; they have major translation errors.

Ojamajo Doremi - 4kIds dub only reached the first season.

Remaining Pretty Cure content - Especially for Smile and DokiDoki, as their dubs do not pass as good alternatives. It'd also be nice to see the seasons licensed to Anime Digital Network get licensed to Crunchyroll, and Crunchyroll Europe can bring the newer seasons to Europe.

PriPara Seasons 1 to 3 - Why is the fourth season licensed?

Candy Candy - If ever possible, I would die if this classic 70s series got a Western re-release. Just finished watching it, and it was definitely worth it.
lilitu93
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:10 pm Reply with quote
One series that hasn’t been mentioned yet that I’d really like to be license-rescued/fully released is The Story of Saiunkoku/Saiunkoku Monogotari. Geneon had the first season, but they went out of business and no one ever licensed the second season. Plus the fansubbers that did the first season stopped since it was licensed. (I didn’t keep track of if they or some other group ever did do the second season.) I’d also love the light novels to be licensed too.

Maybe with the popularity of Raven of the Inner Palace and Apothecary Diaries, someone might be interested, as it’s also a fictional ancient Chinese setting, though it feels more “standard” shoujo romance in plot as it’s about a young girl who wants to take the imperial examinations to become a civil servant even though women aren’t allowed to do it. She ends up as a consort of the emperor, and there’s lots of romance and intrigue.
Justy93

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Agent Aika Zero
Ninku TV Series
Master of Mosquiton ‘99
Let’s Dance With Papa
Hana No Ko Lunlun
Candy Candy
Voogie’s Angel (New OVA’s)
Strange Dawn (incomplete release by Urban Vision)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9