• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video to Run Ads for U.S., Other Subscribers in 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:29 am Reply with quote
Considering everyone has seen Prime Video as a loss leader for their storefront and the two day shipping, this seems unwelcome. The problem is that as a studio, Amazon Studios and Prime Video has been plagued with mismanagement, overspending, and Amazon’s new CEO back in July very publicly cracked whip over numerous expensive bombs.

This Hollywood Reporter expose paints a picture of a studio throwing money at the wall with no clear goal or direction, but a lot of flops.

Then in July, the new Amazon CEO publicly asked what gives and demanded cutbacks and explanations. Interestingly, a month later, they canned a bomb that got an initial second season because the head writer complained, A League of Their Own.

These commercials seem to be an attempt to financially right the ship after wasting so much money on things like The Peripheral and Daisy Jones and the Six that failed to connect with audiences.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:02 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Key wrote:
Sadly, one of my favorite series of the last several years (RE:CREATORS) is only legally available through APV; I'd dump it entirely if not for that and one or two other hard-to-find-otherwise titles.

It has to be nearing the end of its licensing term, as has happened with some of their other titles. It would be nice to see it pop up on Hidive with a dub, as has happened with some other former Amazon licenses.

Ayooo AncientOne is still alive haha!

Regarding ReCreators, I imagine either CR or Aniplex of America will pick it up since that’s an Aniplex title. Same case for Banana Fish, Saekano S2 and Watakoi.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:42 am Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
Regarding ReCreators, I imagine either CR or Aniplex of America will pick it up since that’s an Aniplex title. Same case for Banana Fish, Saekano S2 and Watakoi.
Wait, wasn't the Aniplex connection debunked? It was either for Re;creators or Banana Fish.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Remember when streaming was meant to be cheaper, have more variety, replace TV and remove all the annoying ads?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Yeah, I've been chuckling over the years of hearing "streaming is cheaper than cable" chants, wondering when all services would band together to change that. Looks like we're now here.

FYI - People once said the same thing about cable that they did with streaming services. And yes, get off my lawn lol
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Like Amazon needs more money?

Call me old school but I still prefer cable tv, and honestly with the amount streamers are charging, cable doesn’t seem all that expensive anyway.
I like the ease of channel flipping that I can’t do that with streaming.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:00 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Like Amazon needs more money?

Call me old school but I still prefer cable tv, and honestly with the amount streamers are charging, cable doesn’t seem all that expensive anyway.
I like the ease of channel flipping that I can’t do that with streaming.

You’re not really mean to channel flip with streaming or on demand viewing.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:04 am Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
And while I know tons of people are completely allergic to and despise ads, especially if they’re already paying to use the service, depending on how they’re used it might not be so bad. For me as long as they don’t just play the same 3 ads over and over again, and as long as the ads are less than 2 minutes, I don’t think it will be that bad.

I can't speak for the numerous streaming services I haven't used, but I initially went for the Youtube Lite/Light subscription solely to get rid of the ads, and mostly for the reasons you mentioned above (small selection of ads relentlessly repeated) coupled with videos being interrupted at completely random locations for said ads. I have lived with ads for so many years in official TV channels and whatnot, and I'm so amazingly sick of them that if I use a streaming service, I am going to want the completely ad free tier regardless of which streaming service it is. That there are paid tiers with ads are almost grossly hilarious to me. I just got an Email that Youtube is ending the Lite version, which is annoying, but I'm willing to bet it's because said tier has been immensely popular among people like me who just want to see ads burn, and I might even go for the regular tier, even if that's gonna come with stuff I won't even be using at all, which is probably what they're counting on.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:03 am Reply with quote
I don’t mind ads before something I watch but during that’s a big no.

Granted I mainly have prime for the shipping. Where I live I still get most things free next day.

I occasionally watch a movie on prime but I can’t think most of their output is “much watch”

Anyways I may still have to think about keeping prime when my sub is up next summer. All these companies raising prices and giving customers less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2