• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClubAnime

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:41 am Reply with quote
Jujutsu Kaisen | Special Gojo Satoru React - Officiel Anime " Itadori "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7hCBSIxVyo

"The first PV, titled Itadori ( 虎杖 Itadori ) was released on December 3, 2018, on the official Shonen Jump Youtube Channel and featured on Jujutsu Kaisen special website. The video was 1 minute and 42 seconds long, featuring Satoru Gojo's animation and manga panels, and explaining about series main character Yuji Itadori"
MaritLage

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:54 pm Reply with quote
for a couple hours prior
sa i had been thinking to myself
if there were any Silent Hill style anime

sa i picked up Jujitsu Kaisen on a hunch
and
well

NI-KAI-KIT-TSU-KA-RA-TE

THAI BOXING JALIT JIU JITSU HT FÉ
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:23 am Reply with quote
Jujutsu Kaisen Zero (Movie)

This is catered to fans of the source material and those who have watched the animated adaptation in its entirety. Newcomers will have no idea what is going on, nor will they enjoy the entire experience as a lot of what goes on in this movie is referenced in the source material covered in the animated adaptation to date.

Since this covers the Getou Suguru incident which occurred one year prior to Itadori's entry into Jujutsu High School, it naturally does not feature the three main characters of the animated series. The Second Years in Itadori's story are still First Years and Gojou Satoru is still their teacher. Some of the other secondary characters featured in the animated adaptation do make cameo appearances in the movie, but for the most part it's those four and the movie's protagonist Okkotsu Yuuta, who is mentioned in passing on multiple occasions when Itadori and company are in Kyoto.

Okkotsu Yuuta is very different from Itadori Yuuji; he's neither outgoing nor brave and to top it off he's afflicted with a powerful curse which causes physical harm to anyone who with hostile intent towards him. Like Itadori, the Council Elders advocate for his execution but Gojou Satoru objects and takes him into the High School's custody in an attempt to rid him of his curse. What happens next centres on Okkotsu's school experiences and those who would exploit his curse for their own ends.

Those who liked the action in the animated adaptations are going to love watching this movie. Because it's a condensed portrayal of Okkotsu Yuuta's school year, there's A LOT of high-quality action set pieces packed into its airtime. My personal favourites are those featuring Yuuta, since his curse is immensely powerful and gives plenty of visceral entertainment.

As a self-contained arc, the movie is good entertainment value and leaves few questions hanging. Unlike the Mugen Train movie for Kimetsu no Yaiba, this movie doesn't lead on to a continuing season as it's a prequel to what has already been adapted. That doesn't mean it's a complete standalone, as many of the characters in the movie survive the events transpiring within and are available well into Itadori's story. One of the more interesting scenarios would be spoiler[for Okkotsu and Itadori to meet. After all, the former is still "suspended" and not dead; if he returns to Japan he could still be involved with the Ryoumen Sukuna saga. Not to mention Okkotsu's innate bloodline would make for interesting material should Sukuna discover his secret. ]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25

Let me get this out of the way: I'm cheesed that the franchise obsession with prequel material means that once again we won't be following the adventures of Itadori and his classmates. Anyone even remember Sukuna? I dunno, I found the whole Itadori/Sukuna thing pretty interesting myself, but apparently JJK's mangaka disagrees with me because he's barely done anything with that story element since introducing it. Gee, I can't wait until this season is over and we get the inevitable prequel about Gojo's fascinating adventures as a middleschooler.

Okay, hissy fit over. Instead of lamenting what this is not, I will celebrate what it is: technical specs are superb, the JKK world itself is fascinating as always and even though I'm not seeing the characters I really want to see (with the exception of Gojo) nonetheless this bunch looks pretty fun. The JKK humour is back in full force.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:59 pm Reply with quote

This is a surprise. Instead of the main cast from the first season, this adaptation is going to start with Gojou and his classmates during your High School Years (specifically Year 2). If what I read about this season's adaptation is anything to go by, this is important for understanding what's to come when the series switches back to the "present" with Itadori and his mates. For those of us who watched the movie, it's also another insight into Geto Sugaru, who is already a very different personality from the one portrayed in the movie and in the first season. Also, Megumi's father is in this arc and is in the opposing camp. Considering how Gojou favours Megumi more than the other students (relatively speaking), this might explain why they have their relationship in the present day.

All of the cast from season 1 as adults are in this arc, the big exception being Tengen's vessel. She's the literal sacrificial lamb, so although her fate is sealed what impact she has on the current cast and her legacy might be decisive in forming the present day personalities of the teaching cast.

Gojou has a significant sense of self and confidence in his own powers in season one, but it's in this episode that we see just how obnoxious he can be when there's no check on his confidence. If anything, Getou Sugaru is actually more likeable as he is in this arc. So why is it he ended up the way he did in the movie? Utahime didn't change too much from High School to teaching adult from the looks of things, while Mei was just as avaricious back then as she is in the movie and in season one.

Plenty of action straight off the bat, with two arc-specific enemies to deal with as showcases for what Gojou and Getou are capable of. We already know this is a prequel, so it's the process rather than the result which is of interest to viewers.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:48 am Reply with quote
I find the world of Jujutsu the most interesting character, so the lack of Itadori/Sukuna and his buddies does not bother me all that much. I love that the first half or so was seeing a 'regular'' spoopy case again, because in the first season they switched those out to fighting high tier curses pretty quickly. The episode looked great, the characters were quirky and the case they have been assigned seems interesting. I especially look forward to seeing the likeable Getou change into his current less likeable self.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:33 am Reply with quote
I'm also not a big fan of this prequel trend. If it's really necessary, I'd rather they provide background info Lost style, with flashbacks during the ongoing story, or with single episodes where a key character is doing something as a framing device at the beginning and end of the episode (in a bar, visiting a cemetery or nursing home, killing someone, whatever).

What's worse is, somehow in the middle of this information age, I managed to walk blind smack up against this prequel while expecting the show to pick up where it left off. If I'd gone in expecting a spin-off rather than a season 2, I would have adjusted my mentality accordingly.

(In fact, that's what I'm in the process of doing now. Still like the show/franchise.).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:41 am Reply with quote
@ Edjwald - yeah, not having advance warning would have sucked. I at least knew it would start off as a prequel, so I was ready, albeit not thrilled. I wonder how many episodes it will take before we are back in JKK's "present day"? If any source material reader has a rough guess, I'd appreciate if you'd post it here. In spoiler tags, of course, for the benefit of those who may not want to know.

And just to clarify, all I'm looking for is the episode number guess, nothing else. So if you happen to think we might veer back to the present in, say, 8 episodes, that's all I need to know as opposed to, "well, if the anime follows the manga, after half the cast dies in a big battle, it should, etc, etc."
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:47 am Reply with quote
They've actually formally announced the length on Twitter. This arc will be 5 episodes long. Then there will be 2 episodes recapping season 1 and one week off, and then we rejoin the main cast for the next arc starting August 31.

(Source: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-07-02/jujutsu-kaisen-anime-season-2-adds-2-cast-members/.199910 - see the update at the bottom.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:52 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that, Darkmagick! I hadn't seen that item. Okay, 5 episodes of prelude (4, now) is not horrible. And thanks to my crap memory, I'll actually welcome the two recap episodes to bring me up to speed. Yes, I can definitely live with this.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:48 pm Reply with quote
25:

I guess I am not alone in feeling a bit surprised by the second season. I also didn't expect it to see a prequel because for one, well, didn't we have a prequel in the form of Jujutsu Kaisen 0? I guess this one will give more exposition to what happened prior to present time.

Another thing that threw me off a little is, if this is the second season, then why are we watching "episode 25?" By calling it #25, I was under the impression that this show is literally resuming where the final episode of the previous season left off. Imagine the mild confusion when this season decides to go back in time with the narrative.

Going with Edjwald, I guess we are sort of taking a detour with the narrative by looking at a prequel arc, followed by recaps (I think I would appreciate this; I can't remember everything that happened in the first season), and then we're off to the present-day storyline. I still think it's an unusual narrative.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:37 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
They've actually formally announced the length on Twitter. This arc will be 5 episodes long. Then there will be 2 episodes recapping season 1 and one week off, and then we rejoin the main cast for the next arc starting August 31.

Thanks, you made my morning Smile

ACxS wrote:
25: I guess we are sort of taking a detour with the narrative by looking at a prequel arc, followed by recaps (I think I would appreciate this; I can't remember everything that happened in the first season), and then we're off to the present-day storyline. I still think it's an unusual narrative.

They probably didn't feel a need to ease into it because Bungo Stray Dogs basically did the same thing not too long ago.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:39 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
They probably didn't feel a need to ease into it because Bungo Stray Dogs basically did the same thing not too long ago.

As unusual as I think the narrative is, the segue would make sense if the present-day plot will heavily revolve around the Gojou-Getou subplot (which obviously it will; the entire first season was building up for this). But clearly the subplot involves a lot of exposition to the point that it's an arc within a season.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.
----------------------------------

Episode 25 (S02E01): Hidden Inventory

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:40 pm Reply with quote

The franchise does throw out surprises even early on in this kind of arc. Turns out the battles hinted at in the last episode were non-events; our titular pair is too strong for the Q organization and they simply move on to the next phase of their assignment. However, Tengen has underestimated the opposition and overestimated the ability of our main pairing at prolonged combat, something which is being exploited by Fushiguro. If his moniker is "Sorcerer Killer", then even Gojou would be wary of him from reputation alone. Doubly so when it's clear Gojou in his high school years doesn't have the full repertoire of skills he shows off in season one.

The Tengen vessel Rika at the very least is accepting of her eventual fate spending an eternity in isolation, which makes it easier for our main pairing as they don't need to bother with counselling or knowledge transfer. She's put on an annoying speech pattern, which is a turn off to Gojou and Getou (and probably a lot of the audience). Her insistence at attending school is a small mercy considering her eventual fate, but it makes her security detail that much harder when there's a bounty on her head.

Although we see more of Gojou's repertoire, it's Getou who is really the focus for this arc. Anyone who saw the movie will recognize some of his moveset, but even in his high school years he was a formidable opponent. The old bounty hunter who took him on never had a chance against him as he was read like an open book, so it's a surprise that Riko's maid Kuroi was taken prisoner when the pair were supposed to be together.

If this arc is supposed to be 1 1/2 months long, then pacing should be quick moving forward.

[EDIT: Condescension removed. -TK]

Last edited by Harleyquin on Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 14