• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Which LGBTQ+ Anime Pairs are the Greatest of All Time?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:01 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/survey/947/

Quote:
Asato Tsuzuki & Kazutaka Muraki (Yami no Matsuei)

Okay, in no context should Muraki be mentioned in the same breath as "greatest pairings". In case no one is familiar with the series, Muraki is a complete monster in all regards.

Quote:
Jouji "George" Koizumi & Yukari "Caroline" Hayasaka (Paradise Kiss)

Can some one explain to me how this is an LGBTQ+ couple? Unless I'm forgetting something, those two are a cis-gender male/female couple.

As for who I'd vote for, a recent one that comes to mind is Ange and Livia from Otome Game Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu. Their love for each other is by no means inferior to their love for the protag.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:10 am Reply with quote
George is bisexual.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nyaa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:43 am Reply with quote
Takina and Chisato-really? This and all the other aforementioned choices are total bullshit. For me is has to be Hazuki and Hatsumi from Yamibo-period.
TokimekiCrisis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:49 am Reply with quote
I voted Other myself.

Hard to pick just one, but I'd choose Iliya x Kuro (Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA.)

Runners Up would be: Chinatsu x Akari (Yuru Yuri), Norn and Flare (Redo of Healer), and Bossun x Tsubaki (Sket Dance), and Kanade x Mihari (Onimai)

Assuming no video games or toku allowed, just anime.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:55 am Reply with quote
I decided to delete all my votes and put "other." I feel like this survey actually needs trans representation since it says LGBTQ+ so I'd like to mention Nitori Shuichi and Suehiro Anna from Wandering Son. There's a few other shows with trans characters but I'm not familiar with ones that have romantic pairings.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:08 pm Reply with quote
ChirashiD wrote:
I decided to delete all my votes and put "other." I feel like this survey actually needs trans representation since it says LGBTQ+ so I'd like to mention Nitori Shuichi and Suehiro Anna from Wandering Son. There's a few other shows with trans characters but I'm not familiar with ones that have romantic pairings.

The pairing from Simoun was included to add trans representation, but it was difficult to find couples that could be included.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bravenewdust

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I was really baffled by this list. I know that even this can be subjective, but I think there is a distinction between "valid reading" and "canon" when it comes to queer couples in anime. A lot of the couples on this list are, from my perspective, on the "valid reading" side of things, with some even dipping into "fan favorite ship."

I think many creators put a lot on the line when they try to actually convey a queer relationship in anime. I think a poll like this, during Pride Month, should reflect and honor that risk.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:13 pm Reply with quote
bravenewdust wrote:
I was really baffled by this list. I know that even this can be subjective, but I think there is a distinction between "valid reading" and "canon" when it comes to queer couples in anime. A lot of the couples on this list are, from my perspective, on the "valid reading" side of things, with some even dipping into "fan favorite ship."

I think that's just a case of actual yuri and yaoi pairings from series dedicated to that theme tend to not be as popular or widely known as the more popular characters from mainstream works that people like to ship together, outside a few like Harkua and Michiru from Sailor Moon who are actually canon and from a mainstream series. The more popular the characters, the more focus and exposure they get. So something like Deku x Bakugo or Shinji x Kaworu will always get more art, discussion, and fandom than something like romance pairings from Given or Gravitation.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:44 pm Reply with quote
ChirashiD wrote:

I remember in the show Shangri-la there were two trans women. One of them, Miiko, I recall having some cute moments with a man from the community.
The Chained Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering, were the results of poll ever published? I’ve not been able to find them anywhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1