• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the first cour of Sugar Apple Fairytale
It was excellent; glorious, fantastic.

TRADITIONAL SHOUJO IS BACK, BABY

Anime cry

It was really great to see the author hit all the right 'beats'.

spoiler[*The art is gorgeous. ANNE'S SCULPTURES. OMG. LOOK HOW THEY GLOW.

*Anne is naive but not stupid. She's kind but she's not a pushover. She's very brave and has a strong spirit but she's still feminine and not perfect. She's really well-balanced. You always want good things for her because SHE IS A GOOD GIRL AND WORKS HARD AND DESERVES THEM.

*Challe can be cold...but not abusive. He's beautiful and sexy af. He's just the right amount of intimidating. He teases his GF in all the right ways. But he's not perfect either because he still doesn't quite understand how humans think and he does foolish things before thinking it through.

*The romance is carefully built up and feels pretty natural instead of forced. The pace is just right.

*I WANT A CUTE SHOTA FAIRY ON MY SHOULDER TOO. WAH. Crying or Very sad

*Jonas is a Nice Guy jerk...but he's getting development. I think they will at least be friends by the end of the series.

*Drama is real drama and not just a "hey we can solve this in two minutes if we talk".

*Elliot sucks but I love Kat and Keith is really sweet too!

*There is no sexual assault.]

I need an Otome Gacha Game of this, please. Where the gameplay is competing with making sugar sculptures and also trying to date all the prettiest male cast members. Laughing
NOW. MAKE THIS RIGHT NOW.
ArthurD

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:06 am Reply with quote
I never feel judged or ashamed on live sex cams sites, as everyone is there for the same reason - to have a good time.
https://stripinchat.com/
https://thegaysexchat.com/chat/brian_moores
https://bbwcams.cc/skinny

Last edited by ArthurD on Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:02 am Reply with quote
I’m 2 weeks behind on all the new releases because of CRs dub schedule but am loving most things this year

1. A Galaxy Next door - great romcom
2. Hells Paradise - probably best show I’m watching
3. Death Mount - still trying to figure out this reverse semi-horror Isekai but I like it
4. Cheat skill in another world - like the spin but some elements are lacking. Sticking with it though because it is a bit different and hoping the MC grows a bit.
5. Smartphone 2 - worst of the bunch blech.

Older titles I’m finishing
1- Call of the night - excellent. I have a soft spot for magic pixie girl vampires
2- eminence in shadow - thought it was a hot mess that didn’t deliver laughs or enough focus to be worth 20 episodes
3- Made in Abyss - this show blows my mind. Hate the Chibi approach (always) but the way it approaches the subject matter and really doesn’t hold back is amazing. I have mixed feelings but will keep watching and see why it’s so highly rated.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Currently watching Powered Armor Dorvack. Was a random Discotek title I just chose to purchase on a whim earlier in the year since I was looking for a fairly lengthy title I may watch in case I wanted a break from one-cour titles. So far, kind of underwhelmed with it as it's rather cookie-cutter compared to a number of other mecha titles of the early 80s like Armored Trooper Votoms, Xabungle, and Giant Gorg that I was more entertained by.

I didn't know that anyone had put Dorvack out as a domestic release! I watched it raw about a decade so ago. I actually remember getting some Dorvack models back in the early eighties, several years before I actually got into anime. One thing that I thought that was pretty cool about the Dorvack was the fact that the male and female leads were played by Toru Furuya and Hiromi Tsuru, who would four years later play Kyosuke Kasuga and Madoka Ayukawa from Kimagure Orange Road.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll stealthily premiered the first episode of Tenchi Muyo! GXP Paradise Starting (OAV)... as they seem to have settled on that English name.

Not a surprise, the first episode is super talky and will, of course, lose any casual fan.
If you somehow only watched the GXP TV anime and came to this with no other info... I'm sorry- it makes no sense. Seina doesn't even cause a single accident... and he's buff AF... and Fuku is a grown woman... and his crew are all characters not seen in the TV anime.

But, hey, I write for the wiki, I read the fan translations, I'm about as up to date as a U.S. fan can be. So I'm only lost on a few things... the same things the Japanese fans are. None of us really know Jovia's deal... I know who Nayuta is and why she looks like that, but not why she has a "real" body or, at one point, a chibi form.

These shows always deal in some mystery.

But poor Seina... seriously getting hot from his mother-in-law. Hahaha... Tenchi Muyo is also always about bringing in new taboos (although those conversations were almost all originally presented in novels 10+ years ago... just not done in bed).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:52 pm Reply with quote
My watch party started Gleipnir
It's so weird and trashy and horny and edgy.

I kind of like it.......? Laughing

At any rate, I can't get the ED song out of my head. It has a very haunting, melancholy melody that makes you think of drizzling rain and twisted, tragic love stories. The visuals are excellent as well. I really like how Claire's expression changes as she stares at Shuichi and then puts her head down on his shoulder.

InfiniteJest wrote:

1- Call of the night - excellent. I have a soft spot for magic pixie girl vampires

You've GOT to read the manga....idk if we will get a second season but the manga's so freaking good!! So much more story...AND drama and tragedy and cool fights....and aughhhhhh!! Shocked
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Went through all of Mushoku Tensei the last few days (3-day weekend helped).

I think I originally watched through his initial reincarnation and oogling... or maybe just heard about it and didn't give it a chance. The post-hype eventually got to me and I definitely enjoyed it.

Still kind of debating what I thought of the (JPN) V.A. of the Rudeus inner voice. A famous V.A. of tough cool characters playing recluse fat slob otaku. I guess if he sounded pathetic you wouldn't want to root for him? And I guess, especially with the performance, you get the Gintama quasi-loser vibes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I just got the last volume of Horimiya a couple of weeks ago. After I read it, I decided to go back and re-read the entire 16 volume series. I finished it in a couple of days and then decided to watch the anime. So yesterday afternoon, I sat down and marathoned the Tv series.

The anime really did the manga justice. It brought sound, movement and color to the characters I had grown to like after the couple of years it was being issued. While the anime changed or omitted a couple of things that didn't materially change the story. I'm looking forward to the second series. Since the manga is very episodic it should be able to cover the missed episodes with a little connective anime from the first series.

Note, it was almost two full years between the English editions of volumes 15 and 16. I'm still not sure why Yen did that.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Currently watching Seven Days War. Best I can say about it is it feels like it's too busy with what it wants to try doing with its story, themes, and characters in just under an hour and a half. Maybe could have worked better as a TV anime to allow more time to flesh things out.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:43 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Note, it was almost two full years between the English editions of volumes 15 and 16. I'm still not sure why Yen did that.

Oh this is common with them; many series they release get loooong delays but yeah, Horimiya definitely isn't the only one.

I want to blame Covid...people just don't want to work now. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop could be some other reasons though.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I started watching The Dangers in My Heart. I wasn't expecting much from it, but having now watched 4 episodes it seems amazing. For one, it's funny. Many of these simple romcoms may have comedy, but very few manage to actually be funny.

I like the jokes where the main character is trying to help the female lead, but his help ends up being unneeded or goes unnoticed. It's kinda subverting the thing these types of stories usually do where the female lead is impressed by the main dude's kindness which creates a shortcut to building a romantic connection. The show in general takes a more natural feeling approach to building the relationship between the two leads. It starts off small and builds from there. It's sort of refreshing when compared to a lot of the stories of this ilk that have come out recently that use the more "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" approach or something similar to just instantly catapult the relationship between the two leads from strangers to "always together".

Ichikawa, the male lead, isn't all that noteworthy, but his VA is really good at playing the straight man. Yamada, the female lead, is wonderfully quirky and funny.

Funny and sweet, it's just a well executed romcom.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:25 am Reply with quote
@Cam0: I can't WAIT to check that one out just for the male lead alone Embarassed he looks like the cutest thing ever!!

Currently I'm watching Buddy Daddies and having the GREATEST time right now. Laughing
P.A. Works has produced a real winner here. Every minute of it is a true delight.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:55 pm Reply with quote
The Dangers in My Heart is excellent. Would recommend.
HoneyAlice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:21 am Reply with quote
I'm watching now demon slayer Very Happy
I really like demon slayer because of its well thought out world and storyline. Impressive combat system along with a beautiful plot and charismatic characters make this anime very unique and attractive
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Going down the list...

I saw episode 1 of Oshi No Ko. It was a masterpiece. Not much negative to say and I don't want to repeat everyone's praises.

I saw the first 7 episodes of Cyberpunk Edgerunners. Great stuff, though I feel like I'm appreciating it more than I like it.

I saw the Swordsmith Village arc of Demon Slayer. It was alright, but I feel like the first and final episodes were the only parts I truly loved. A lot of flashbacks breaking the flow of the fights, the villains and action were a gigantic step down from the prior arc, and I can't help feeling as though the drama was lackluster. Last arc it took everything to just barely defeat the weakest Upper Rank, but now we're already defeating 2 without really sustaining any big losses or noteworthy injuries? Eh... sure. Whatever. I read ahead in the manga so at least I know the plot will pick up next time. Personally I give this a 7/10, if not a 6.5, but I wouldn't call it bad. It's about as good as the first half of season 1 to me.

I watched the first 54 episodes of the 1981 Urusei Yatsura. It was loads of fun. Lum is a phenomenal waifu and a fun character, Ataru is a hilarious wannabe ladies man, Mendou is a great foil. Frankly, I think this might be Rumiko Takahashi's magnum opus in my eyes. I still have to watch or read Maison Ikkoku and Inuyasha, but I'll be surprised if I personally enjoy them more than this treasure. I have a few issues, but really the characters I dislike get kinda phased out as the show goes forward, so I don't really care.

I saw the anime film Lonely Castle in the Mirror. I didn't know what to expect going in, but it had a really slow start. The characters grew on me though. It had a strong anti-bullying message and I'd be fascinated to watch this with someone in the education field to get their two cents on how everything was portrayed. If I had to drop one complaint, I didn't really like the realism of "everyone has to forget their time in magic land by the end." It kinda defeats the whole purpose of the narrative, even if it makes sense from the perspective of making the reality of the story work as an analog to our world. Regardless, I give it a 7, but one should understand that there were a lot of great moments in the middle and end. In particular, a scene with one character's abusive parent made me genuinely feel sick, angry, scared, and made me want to genuinely comfort the character in question. It's rare that I get a reaction like that, even in shows that I love.

Tonikawa season 2 was great, but a few slow episodes made me feel like it was just a step down from the first season.

Finally, Zom 100 (an adaptation anyone whose heard of the manga has probably been hoping for for years) is, as expected, great fun. I expect it to be my anime of the year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1056 of 1063