• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic! Novels Get 25th Anniversary Sequel Set 2 Decades Later

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharkticon

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:23 pm Reply with quote
If there is another season, it should wrap things up.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Was more hoping an anime adapting the remainder of the light novels would get adapted. A bit of a headscratcher why they chose to do Invisible Victory years ago over a decade after Second Raid and then just stop with adapting the remainder of it.

How much is left to adapt?

Volumes 10-12. Invisible Victory had adapted Volumes 7-9 of the light novels.

volume 6 was also never adapted (dancing very merry Christmas)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Was more hoping an anime adapting the remainder of the light novels would get adapted. A bit of a headscratcher why they chose to do Invisible Victory years ago over a decade after Second Raid and then just stop with adapting the remainder of it.

That got adapted into an audio drama back in 2016 by Lantis for their YouTube channel. But believe all the videos posting that have since gone private.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I stuck with Full Metal Panic for so long, and was surprised to see Invisible Victory drop years later. I was glad, but then kinda mad because it had the gall to end on a cliffhanger with no season 5 confirmation in sight after so long.

I really hope it gets to conclude someday.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Well hot damn, guess it's time for me finish the light novel series.

Now if only they would finish adapting the anime series.

Glad to see there's still interest in the FMP franchise.
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

That got adapted into an audio drama back in 2016 by Lantis for their YouTube channel. But believe all the videos posting that have since gone private.

The Funimation CE for Invisible Victory has the audio drama included on CD alongside a booklet with the translated script. Anime Limited went on to include it on a subtitled bluray in their UK CE set.
spacedin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:43 am Reply with quote
Xebec actually did go broke. Their bread and butter was fanservice titles for the late night and home video crowds: To Love Ru, Triage X, Kanokon, Maken Ki, Shuffle etc. which dried up. Ironically their #2 focus seemed to be shonen battle anime - Shaman King, Rockman, Future Card Buddy Fight, Racing Brothers, Super YoYo - which got them a Pokemon movie, but that genre, the Beyblade and Yu Gi Yo stuff - is just as dead. Xebec was actually an early innovator in the CGDCT arena, but theirs retained the fanservice hook which is why it didn't catch on. Instead wholesome CGDCT became a hit genre years later. So, their main specialties were genres that while reliable from the late 90s through the mid 2010s are now dead. Even their last gasp pivot attempt with Invisible Victory was strange. They chose to continue - rather than reboot - a series whose last installment was in 2005. Also mecha anime and (somewhat) realistic contemporary military anime had been dead for ages and FMP was based on both.

Also, was I the only one who preferred Teletha Testarossa to Kaname Chidori? Yes, such works are generally going to have the Japanese woman get the guy instead of the foreigner - Freezing, Familiar of Zero and Little Busters are notable exceptions - but I would be interested in an update on Testarossa also.
WoodDude

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 2:11 am Reply with quote
^
And sometimes they mixed. Rockman.exe has a ton of fanservice in it. Lots of beach episodes and upskirt shots of Meiru and other things. Never shied away from their bread and butter even then.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:38 am Reply with quote
spacedin wrote:
Xebec actually did go broke. Their bread and butter was fanservice titles for the late night and home video crowds: To Love Ru, Triage X, Kanokon, Maken Ki, Shuffle etc. which dried up. Ironically their #2 focus seemed to be shonen battle anime - Shaman King, Rockman, Future Card Buddy Fight, Racing Brothers, Super YoYo - which got them a Pokemon movie, but that genre, the Beyblade and Yu Gi Yo stuff - is just as dead. Xebec was actually an early innovator in the CGDCT arena, but theirs retained the fanservice hook which is why it didn't catch on. Instead wholesome CGDCT became a hit genre years later. So, their main specialties were genres that while reliable from the late 90s through the mid 2010s are now dead. Even their last gasp pivot attempt with Invisible Victory was strange. They chose to continue - rather than reboot - a series whose last installment was in 2005. Also mecha anime and (somewhat) realistic contemporary military anime had been dead for ages and FMP was based on both.

Also, was I the only one who preferred Teletha Testarossa to Kaname Chidori? Yes, such works are generally going to have the Japanese woman get the guy instead of the foreigner - Freezing, Familiar of Zero and Little Busters are notable exceptions - but I would be interested in an update on Testarossa also.

it wasn't really bankrupt more like it was sold to Sunrise and became Sunrise Beyond

Production I.G had the choice to continue from them since they were owned by them but probably didn't see it profitable for them and preferred to focus on fanfer in azure.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea the FMP LNs finished, but I guess I should’ve expected them to. Was disappointed with how IV went, not even withstanding the cliffhanger. Just the mech fights and the action in general seemed very poorly choreographed compared to TSR, and the less said about the CGI, the better. Guess I was just expecting more after how much I liked TSR, but I guess not everything can hit the high of KyoAni animating it.

It’s a shame, because FMP was one of the first anime series I watched subbed without first seeing it on TV, because it was the first show my high school’s anime decided to show in spring semester of freshman year back in 2002.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:57 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
I had no idea the FMP LNs finished, but I guess I should’ve expected them to. Was disappointed with how IV went, not even withstanding the cliffhanger. Just the mech fights and the action in general seemed very poorly choreographed compared to TSR, and the less said about the CGI, the better. Guess I was just expecting more after how much I liked TSR, but I guess not everything can hit the high of KyoAni animating it.

It’s a shame, because FMP was one of the first anime series I watched subbed without first seeing it on TV, because it was the first show my high school’s anime decided to show in spring semester of freshman year back in 2002.

Blu-ray version had animation/art fixes since the production schedule was tight sadly but it had a good staff for the job just lacked proper time.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Question for novel readers, then: can an anime-only viewer (who's seen all of the anime) start with novel 10 without complications? I like the franchise enough that I would like to see the story finished even if the rest doesn't get animated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Question for novel readers, then: can an anime-only viewer (who's seen all of the anime) start with novel 10 without complications? I like the franchise enough that I would like to see the story finished even if the rest doesn't get animated.

Yeah, there are no real issues doing so. I'd also go back and read volume 6 if possible as well as it's really fun, it's basically FMP doing Die Hard.
RacingManiac

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I love reading the LN, be it as official or fan-translated(finished it before as fan translated but bought all the official LN anyway). I love how much setup there was for that alternate reality but yet all the techno-babble makes sense for the setting. A catch up with our protag after the ending of the LN would be awesome...
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:46 am Reply with quote
did they ever end up together?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2