• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass, GaoGaiGar Character Designer Takahiro Kimura Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAnthonyAuld

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:11 pm Reply with quote
"Risky Dolls" is forever a goated artbook. Godannar is forever a classic Mecha anime in part if his designs As well is underrated for his Mecha designs. May he R.I.P!
jznrpg13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Loved your work what a loss. Thank You Kimura-san
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:50 pm Reply with quote
First, I would like to say that I understand that it has been a month since the article was posted, but I have seen other users reply to month old articles and I even reported them, but no mod removed them. Heck, the last time I reported it, someone removed the warning up top to allow the post to stay, so I do hope that a mod allows me to pay my respects. Maon Kurosaki's passing was the main reason I haven't been on ANN in over a month (then only posted for specific reasons), but this added to it even more.

I hadn't been on ANN since Maon Korosaki's passing then 1 week later, one of my top favorite character designers passes away as well. It just feels like my luck has been terrible since last summer.

While Clamp is credited with original character designs, it was Kimura was responsible for the sexiness and perfection of my #1 waifu in anime, Kallen Kozuki. No matter how many female character designs I've seen in anime, I always come back to Kallen as my #1. That;'s how much her design has impacted me. Kimura's style has been one of my favorites since before CG. He was a man of culture, which made me love his work more.

One of my goals was to commission him to draw the sexiest and nude Kallen art he could possibly draw after the he drew the CC art for someone. Now I will never get that chance. With that said... the future of the CG anime will most likely be looking different. Who knows how far into development the upcoming new anime Dakkan no Z is (it has been years), but after that, it will certainly look different.

Thank you for creating so many amazing characters and especially Kallen. You will be missed.

RIP
sledgerheader

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:03 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I can't believe it, Kimura's designs were always very distinct, I know there are people who say that some of his characters had odd proportions, especially the women, but he had quite a stylized drawing style. I think his best work was designing the characters in GaoGaiGar, there was a large variety of character designs there, quite "cartoonish" in some aspects but very dynamic, something you don't see a lot nowadays.
I also feel that he never got enough credit for designing the characters for Code Geass, I know CLAMP designed the characters but Kimura was the one who polished their designs for the animation so the final designs share the drawing styles of both artists.
I give my condolences to his family and hope he rests in peace.
R.I.P

That's the one thing I miss about older anime is the different artstyles that seperated a lot of shows from each other. you had dozens different art styles in the 2000s and early 2010s era of anime that you just don't see anymore. They didn't evolve into something more, they kinda just disappeared to the few 2 or 3 that we have left. Kimura knew how to make different characters stand out from each other while all being under his same artstyle and stood out from the rest when it came to eye catching character designs. His talent will be sorely missed in the anime industry as I already felt that he wasn't being used enough during the 2010s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2