• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shogakukan Lists Pluto Animated Series With Netflix Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:14 pm Reply with quote
LMAO at the people thinking Netflix = only CG.

I am so excited, it's been 6 years since it was announced and I have almost given up hope. Glad to see it's not a dead project.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:12 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:
welp
Netflix implies terrible CG studio since thats who they almost exclusively work with

small chance its Orange which is the only good one but uh if it was I bet they would've led with that to build hype

I am no longer hoping for high quality

The studio has been Studio M2 since it was first announced, and their two other works aren't CGI so no need to get upset

I feel like there's a certain amount of irony in Urasawa being so against digital versions of his manga for so long and then having an adaptation of his released streaming only
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:27 pm Reply with quote
A teaser video for this just dropped, and thankfully, the general animation style is 2D.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:56 pm Reply with quote
If the teaser, the promo shots from 2017 or 2019 show up, doesn´t prove how important heavy use of (great) CG is for genre fiction animation then I don´t know what will. An anime that looks just like Master Kearton or Monster wouldn't have done the manga justice. Those looked great of course. Masao Maruyama is going out on top. This is what passion looks like. The studio was founded to make this anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:18 pm Reply with quote
A bit too much CG for my tastes, but I love Urasawa (he made my favorite manga, 20th Century Boys), so I'll watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I really like how the 3D backgrounds are done, makes for some pretty dynamic shots.

Although what I do not like is that the composite is too overblown in a lot of shots, specially during the fight sequence.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Now if only they did it before they decided to detonate their subscriber base
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow I just watched the preview and, no lie, when spoiler[Gesicht saw Pluto] I said aloud, yet in a whisper, "Run." and started crying. Crying isn't unusual for me but even I'm surprised this made me THAT happy!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Pluto finally coming out and I would much rather Netlflix be funding original anime projects like this instead of just licensing typical simulcast shows. I don't know much about the source material other than it's connections with Astro Boy but I was impressed by this trailer and I look forward to it.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Look phenomenal, jeez. Haven't thought about this series in years.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad it's not 100% CG but the 3D backgrounds and other CG kind of take me out of it a little. But it still looks beautiful.

Yoko Hikasa as Astro Boy!
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:33 am Reply with quote
The boy in the raincoat looks cgi (or at the very least rotoscoped cg), it looks like they went for cgi which imitates 2d with 2d backgrounds. The people saying this would be CG got vindicated IMO.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:06 am Reply with quote
I'm literally crying with joy right now Very Happy Very Happy Really, bless you , Netflix and, above anything else, bless you Masao Maruyama. This is truly the result of his passion and his drive and he's well over his 80's if I'm not mistaken...This is the day I've been eagerly waiting for more than 10 years since I became an anime fan after watching Monster and being left speechless.
Seriously, I. CAN'T . FREAKING. WAIT. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:47 am Reply with quote
Looks pretty good to me, but I'm not a connoisseur like everyone claims to be. Smile

Quote:
this being Urasawa's latest work

Unless he meant latest work to be adapted to anime, that's an odd thing to say. Billy Bat, Asadora! and Mujirushi all came out after Pluto.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:07 am Reply with quote
Looks pretty good for the most part, it's certainly one of Netflixs better looking originals. The 2D and 3D do stand out a lot, almost like someone is putting a Cel over the screen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3