• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll: Some Home Video Releases May Be Unavailable While SKUs Refresh

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:51 am Reply with quote
Hopefully the new crunchyroll branded discs will now include subtitles (and maybe even dubs) in spanish.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:12 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't get hopes up. I would imagine all that is happening is the removal of Funimation/addition of Crunchyroll branding from the packaging, and changing the product numbers. Things like packaging art/layout as well as on-disc content will probably remain completely untouched.

If Crunchyroll hadn't said anything, people would have wondered why some of these titles were out of stock for an extended period, and when they came back like nothing happened most people wouldn't even have noticed anything changed.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:34 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Anyone who has ever spent more than a day in retail understands this. Even a cashier is familiar with the fact and process that sometimes SKUs get replaced and you have a weird availability period on some products. Ever wonder why a product you buy regularly at the store suddenly is always out of stock only to suddenly be back again like nothing happened? Or why an item that scanned no problem last month the cashier now has to punch in numbers for or call to get a new code for? Or why you see that employee with a scanner just going up and down the aisles scanning barcodes and shelf tags? Like immortal1982 said, it's a daily occurrence in some businesses, just that regular consumers rarely think about or are aware of seeing.

I figured as much.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:57 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
I wouldn't get hopes up. I would imagine all that is happening is the removal of Funimation/addition of Crunchyroll branding from the packaging, and changing the product numbers. Things like packaging art/layout as well as on-disc content will probably remain completely untouched.

From someone who owns the Dragon Ball Super steelbook box set.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=20481053

Quote:
for those interested, the discs are slightly reauthored to remove the previews and replace FUNi’s logo with Crunchyroll’s.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=20604796#post20604796

Quote:
The Dragon Ball Super steelbook discs have English text only. The discs are 1:1 with the old discs aside from the replaced startup warnings/logo and removed trailers. The menus are identical to the old 13 episode sets.

Quote:
Are the end of disc credits the same (will have its own chapter at the end, 10 seconds long), or did they change that too (possibly even the staff) where the Blu-ray authoring is credited to Crunchyroll, LLC instead of Funimation Global Group?

Just checked. It looks very consistent with the rest of the disc, but Blu-ray authoring is credited to Crunchyroll, LLC. If you want to know the staff credited, let me know.

FUNimation is still credited on the show's actual credits and bonus features.

So there are new discs being made as well and I expect similar treatment for the upcoming complete sets for Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball GT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2