• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Eminence in Shadow

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Thesarum wrote:
What are the odds it's Dad in that armour

I'd say they're not too bad. I've been suspicious of him from the get-go.

I think so too, at first based on his voice, and now in this episode because he's the only named character in the school unaccounted for, except Claire Kagenou.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Man, Sherry's entire life is a tragedy.

Mom gets murdered by the man who took her in and raised her as a father, and he only did it to use her like he used her mother, then he takes her school hostage and gets killed by the guy she likes. And she is completely unaware of all this as she sets off for abroad, probably planning to get revenge on Shadow for killing her father. I feel so bad for her.

Cid abstaining from everything except his one true desire makes sense, but he seemed to care enough about Sherry to A. confirm whether her father was using her, B. kill him like he killed her mother, and C. actually think to himself she was better off not knowing the truth. So maybe he isn't completely immune to people.

Well, yeah, Shadow Garden may have some Superhero trappings, but they're not really heroes. At least Cid doesn't see himself that way. Being viewed as dangerous criminals just furthers the aesthetic.

Although once again our "Mob Character" confronts the main villain, gets their whole motivation and backstory, and challenges them to single combat...I mean, what mob character does that? Although he pulled the classic alter ego switcheroo to boot.

So is Cid, like, not even going to bother explaining to people how he survived?
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:48 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Mom gets murdered by the man who took her in and raised her as a father, and he only did it to use her like he used her mother, then he takes her school hostage and gets killed by the guy she likes. And she is completely unaware of all this as she sets off for abroad, probably planning to get revenge on Shadow for killing her father. I feel so bad for her.

Cid abstaining from everything except his one true desire makes sense, but he seemed to care enough about Sherry to A. confirm whether her father was using her, B. kill him like he killed her mother, and C. actually think to himself she was better off not knowing the truth. So maybe he isn't completely immune to people.

Yeah, Cid has shown Sherry more consideration than anyone else we've met. Shame he's allowed her to consider him the murderer of her father (and, because he chose to use the same approach, potentially also her mother). Sherry isn't the short of girl who accepts "not knowing" (and he should know that really). Whether it was out of consideration for her, or just commitment to being mysterious, you feel he's stored up a heap for problems for himself here. (Also, possibly, in slightly altering Alpha's interpretation of her mission, that could go wrong too. Not that Cid would care either way)

Her father is also possibly the first villain he's looked directly at, and seen (probably) for what he is.

I suppose with Sherry out of the picture for now, Alexia gets to take pole position in the race for mob-Cid. Though clearly a new challenger has entered the fray there.

MFrontier wrote:

Apparently not? Though I suppose we don't know if his class (and the princess) has realised he's not dead yet. Money on him just walking into class next week like nothing ever happened though. He is a class A idiot after all.
Rednal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:34 pm Reply with quote
"Well, you see, I wasn't cut as badly as it seemed at first - and you know from the tournament that I'm pretty hard to take down! It's just my good luck they didn't think to finish the job, I guess." -Probably how that goes
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:14 am Reply with quote
The ending credit picture (which they're using for a second time) really annoys me. The way the tail comes up the back makes it's obvious that the artist doesn't understand that tails have bones in them and aren't going to just drape over the waist band like that.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:06 am Reply with quote
So drill princess didn't recognize Cid when he looked right at her without his mask?

Quote:
Anyone else initially think that Nu got smashed by a flying body (rather than simply disappearing when the camera was obstructed)?

Yeah, that also made me do a double take.

Emerje wrote:
The ending credit picture (which they're using for a second time) really annoys me. The way the tail comes up the back makes it's obvious that the artist doesn't understand that tails have bones in them and aren't going to just drape over the waist band like that.

Emerje

It could be that there's no tail bone there and it's just hair/fur as soon as it leaves the backside *shrug*
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Yeah, Cid has shown Sherry more consideration than anyone else we've met. Shame he's allowed her to consider him the murderer of her father (and, because he chose to use the same approach, potentially also her mother). Sherry isn't the short of girl who accepts "not knowing" (and he should know that really). Whether it was out of consideration for her, or just commitment to being mysterious, you feel he's stored up a heap for problems for himself here. (Also, possibly, in slightly altering Alpha's interpretation of her mission, that could go wrong too. Not that Cid would care either way)

Her father is also possibly the first villain he's looked directly at, and seen (probably) for what he is.

I suppose with Sherry out of the picture for now, Alexia gets to take pole position in the race for mob-Cid. Though clearly a new challenger has entered the fray there.

MFrontier wrote:

Apparently not? Though I suppose we don't know if his class (and the princess) has realised he's not dead yet. Money on him just walking into class next week like nothing ever happened though. He is a class A idiot after all.
Based on Alpha's wording, it actually sounds like she's even more enthralled with him. Like she believed they were heroes, but Shadow has even bigger, grander goals in mind, but that requires him to throw away all concepts of morals and laws, and she respects him for that and decides she needs to do better and live up to that new image. Sherry is the only future enemy he's set in motion. Of course, now that Shadow Garden is effectively taking the fall for the hostage situation, even if the confusion of two Shadow Garden's was made evident to Iris and Rose, they'll still be made out as villains no different to the Cult in the eyes of at least Iris if not also Alexia, but I guess Alexia has had enough personal contact with him, twice, to not necessarily jump on him and Shadow Garden, unlike Iris.
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Based on Alpha's wording, it actually sounds like she's even more enthralled with him. Like she believed they were heroes, but Shadow has even bigger, grander goals in mind, but that requires him to throw away all concepts of morals and laws, and she respects him for that and decides she needs to do better and live up to that new image. Sherry is the only future enemy he's set in motion. Of course, now that Shadow Garden is effectively taking the fall for the hostage situation, even if the confusion of two Shadow Garden's was made evident to Iris and Rose, they'll still be made out as villains no different to the Cult in the eyes of at least Iris if not also Alexia, but I guess Alexia has had enough personal contact with him, twice, to not necessarily jump on him and Shadow Garden, unlike Iris.

Oh, I agree, Alpha's devotion to Lord Shadow is not dimmed in the least. It depends how we define "problem". At the moment Cid might be a delusional psychopath but the Shadows have largely been walking the path of justice. This refocusing means they will be less constrained by such concepts. Fun for us, and not really a problem for Cid. But it is a problem for their world. Perhaps.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:10 am Reply with quote
I love this series and it's light novels. Just one thing has really bothered me, though it didn't bother Cid at all. I think he loved his performance during the torture.

And that is the torture, not the act itself, but what came after. Iris had Cid tortured daily for a week or so. But after her sister was rescued and the bad guys eliminated, where was the apology for torturing an innocent man daily. Along with trying to silence and control Cid's sister who wanted to see her brother. Everyone knew Cid was being tortured, except Alexia, since she was held prisoner by the Cult. No mea culpa, nor any attempt to 'buy' forgiveness.

This really presents Iris and the her Knights as evil I think. Any normal person, probably, would have broken and confessed to high heaven anything their torturers wanted them to say. It was their bad luck that their victim, probably enjoyed himself during it, because it gave him the chance to act a part, and he probably relished the chance to really use his skills.

Perhaps Alexia shouldn't idolize her sister, who obviously has feet of clay soaked in blood.
Iris showed no remorse or apology for the torture.
Zen119

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I love this series and it's light novels. Just one thing has really bothered me, though it didn't bother Cid at all. I think he loved his performance during the torture.

And that is the torture, not the act itself, but what came after. Iris had Cid tortured daily for a week or so. But after her sister was rescued and the bad guys eliminated, where was the apology for torturing an innocent man daily. Along with trying to silence and control Cid's sister who wanted to see her brother. Everyone knew Cid was being tortured, except Alexia, since she was held prisoner by the Cult. No mea culpa, nor any attempt to 'buy' forgiveness.

This really presents Iris and the her Knights as evil I think. Any normal person, probably, would have broken and confessed to high heaven anything their torturers wanted them to say. It was their bad luck that their victim, probably enjoyed himself during it, because it gave him the chance to act a part, and he probably relished the chance to really use his skills.

Perhaps Alexia shouldn't idolize her sister, who obviously has feet of clay soaked in blood.
Iris showed no remorse or apology for the torture.

As an anime only watcher, Iris isn't the one interrogating Cid. She is only getting reports from Zenon, who kidnapped Alexia, who she trusts then that have his lackeys torture Cid and even tried to implicate him by giving him Alexia's boot but failed miserably. Also Cid treated his torture like a normal day in his life to maintain his "background character persona".
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
So drill princess didn't recognize Cid when he looked right at her without his mask?

I don't think she recognized Shadow as Cid, but judging by the flashback it seems like she might have some history with him.
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:37 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Covnam wrote:

I don't think she recognized Shadow as Cid, but judging by the flashback it seems like she might have some history with him.

Cid's slime suit functions like Clark Kent's glasses. Nobody recognises his face nor his voice while he's wearing it. Maybe it's got some special magic. Maybe it's just narrative conviencince. Who knows, since this universe bends to Cids fantasies somehow anyway, maybe it's effectively both.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:36 pm Reply with quote
so i come back to reading the reviews and it seems the anime is still playing the concept too seriously and making me question the metatextual reasoning for it's creation. like, why is Cid's fantasy so strongly reinforced and not confronted. i feel, from the perspective of good writing, you would challenge Cid's ideals and view of the world to give him personal conflict and then have him grow from it but no, we need him to be a stupid op protag.

Interesting enough, i've heard some people say the manga is way more farcical or a parody of the chuuni isekai fantasy.

honestly, i wish this show was more of a farce. it would make it slightly more palatable
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:03 am Reply with quote
Zen119 wrote:

As an anime only watcher, Iris isn't the one interrogating Cid. She is only getting reports from Zenon, who kidnapped Alexia, who she trusts then that have his lackeys torture Cid and even tried to implicate him by giving him Alexia's boot but failed miserably. Also Cid treated his torture like a normal day in his life to maintain his "background character persona".

Yes, Iris wasn't the one personally torturing Cid. But I believe Iris know full well what was happening to Cid, as he was the only suspect and she was keeping Cid's sister away from her brother so she would not see his condition. Zenon didn't need to lie.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I see this was the fanservice episode...crotch shots, boobs, fake boobs, butts, fake butts, thongs, and anything in-between.

It's nice to get more of the Shadow Garden girls. Beta's a writer who has basically plagiarized real world fiction from what Shadow told her and has self-inserted herself into Shadow stories from time to time. Epsilon is a proud beauty who fakes her beauty to fight against the injustice of nature.

Alexia making a strong case for thongs to her older sister, complete with kabedon. While in a thong. I think that's a first.

Man, Rose is going all in as Cid's new princess girlfriend. She's already planning to get her father to approve of him. Cid's mob fu has failed him (aside from avoiding sleeping with a princess). I can't wait until Alexia sees them!
TarsTarkas wrote:
Yes, Iris wasn't the one personally torturing Cid. But I believe Iris know full well what was happening to Cid, as he was the only suspect and she was keeping Cid's sister away from her brother so she would not see his condition. Zenon didn't need to lie.

I think Iris knew he was being interrogated but not that they would torture him, especially when we see later on that the guards who did it were corrupt.

Like how in Seirei Gensouki the "good" characters didn't realize Haruto was being tortured until they went to get him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11