• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foranoda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:12 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Significant reveal this episode: spoiler[Mom's line about "leaving my daughters (musume-tachi) in good hands" more or less confirms the theory that Eri was somehow fused with Aerial and Suletta is a different person.] Though Miorine didn't seem to pick up on it... maybe she thought it was half-metaphorical.

Especially since spoiler[Prospera confirms again that the incident happened 21 years ago. and Suletta does not look nor behaves as if she's 25+ like Eri would be.]
Miorine probably did think it was metaphorical, since Suletta repeatedly talked about how she considers Aerial family and how they were always together.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:49 am Reply with quote
I’m really enjoying this show! Loving the slow burn and set up too with hints dropped everywhere. I’m not usually one to like ALL Gundams… my first Gundam was Wing, which I didn’t like other than Endless Waltz (which I adore). My favorites are 8th MS Team and 0083.
Auriana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quick clarification as I feel like I have to have missed something.

They made a big deal out of Aerial being a Gundam in the beginning and wanting to destroy it, however, during the duel between Suletta and Elan, I could have sworn they referred to his mech as a Gundam, both by Elan and some of the audience.

What's the difference then? I probably just missed this somewhere.
db999

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:08 am Reply with quote
Auriana wrote:
Quick clarification as I feel like I have to have missed something.

They made a big deal out of Aerial being a Gundam in the beginning and wanting to destroy it, however, during the duel between Suletta and Elan, I could have sworn they referred to his mech as a Gundam, both by Elan and some of the audience.

What's the difference then? I probably just missed this somewhere.

You’re correct they did refer to it as a Gundam and it is one. The difference between them is that the Ariel seems to either not be using the Permet system or that at the very least they found a way to have the dangers and damage that the Permet system usually inflicts on the pilot to not go into effect. Not sure if you’ve seen the most recent episode or not so I’m putting it in spoiler marks but to clarify the plot of this new episode, spoiler[Peil technology admitted in the big presentation this episode it was a Gundam and pledged to lose 120 Billion dollars and destroy their machine, because they wanted to prove that the Ariel was a Gundam and get not only it destroyed as well but also to eliminate the competition from Prospera Mercury’s company by putting them into bankruptcy. This doesn’t end up happening due to the intervention by Miorinne and now Peil Technology and the Mercury’s company are working together in a business venture instead because the companies it turns out don't really care it's a Gundam if they themselves can profit off of it.]
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Between the Gun-Dam puns, and Gund-Arm Inc.s and the convenience of setting up her company, this show is devolving into absurdity.

A more interesting story would be if her dad refused to fund her company and she therefore had to find other ways to do it and build it up from scratch, maybe even getting her hands dirty and delving into the world where corporations do some shady things to get by and the moral dielmmas behind all that government regulation red tape... but all she had to do was bow her head?

I mean, I get the idea of introducing humility and knowing when to kowtow to a prideful character, but this wasn't it chief.

This show is at its best when someone goes, "Just shut up and gets in the robot, Suletta."

As a show about corporations, money, and business, it's really really dumbed down.

I understand there are places like the World Economic Forum and G-meetings where our elites openly plot to screw us, but really where are the reporters and conspiracy theorists to document all the Gundam shenanigans and workarounds going on here right out in the open? I hope they show up sometime.

I know this show is primarily aimed at younger viewers who don't dig serious old man's Gundam. But so far the world-building isn't up to snuff, and maybe the topics are too weighty for a show aimed at the youth. Could've just been better as a Gundam Cadet school series with a focus on something else like social hierarchy and status.
Dumas1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:31 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[The Benerit CEO, Miorine's father, putting in a token investment was clearly the big driver that got everyone in. They're taking it as a sign that the Gundam ban might be reversed in the near future, and the last couple duels have show the potential of Gundam-types, if only that "eating pilots" thing could be avoided. They just don't know that Peil and Prospera have only managed to sidestep or conceal the issue instead of actually solving it. I suppose it could be worse, Miorine might end up doing the Newtype monkey thing from that one Crossbone side story.

That's an awful suggestion: that this is "Gundam does Evangelion" instead of "Gundam does Utena." If Prospera is Gendo, Suletta is Shinji, and Miorine is slightly Rei, where's Misato?]

I feel that's too much spoiler blackout. Not sure what I can leave uncovered, though.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Also, though it's obviously just for dramatic effect, I couldn't help thinking those elevator-pillars seemed... kind of dangerous. Especially when they escalated (no pun intended) to even taller ultra-narrow ones, still with no guardrails! Are future humans immune to fall damage?
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:56 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Significant reveal this episode: spoiler[Mom's line about "leaving my daughters (musume-tachi) in good hands" more or less confirms the theory that Eri was somehow fused with Aerial and Suletta is a different person.] Though Miorine didn't seem to pick up on it... maybe she thought it was half-metaphorical.

I'm not sure it quite puts us over the "beyond reasonable doubt" threshold never mind "confirmation". There isn't actually a whole lot of new information here, because we can't be certain it wasn't metaphorical from just this statement. We do have confirmation that the "21 years" comment did refer to the events of the prequel. That obviously gives us some timeline difficulties. There's clearly something up, but this specific theory still sits in the "unproven" box for me.

Elsewhere...

Wow, Miorine really putting herself out there for Suletta. She can claim she's never worried about other people as much as she likes.When Suletta is in trouble there's pretty much no risk she won't take. While there was room for doubt that her actions towards Suletta were ultimately self-serving, I think that can be discarded now. She's committed herself here, and in a big way. Shame Suletta doesn't appear to fully appreciate just what sacrifices and risks are being taken. She's too busy being distracted by Elan, unfortunately. Though maybe this will be the last time.

Nooo, Nika, what are you involved in? If you turn to the dark side I think my faith in humanity may be ruined forever.

Is Prospera showing some of her cards (or a least, showing she's carrying some) to Miorine going to be a problem? Yes, almost certainly. I guess the question really is "who for?" Suletta will clearly be hurt, but I don't think she'll think beyond that. Miorine is something else entirely, but how can she talk to Suletta about it?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Suletta and Miorine looked amazing in their dresses! I'm only disappointed the title made me think we'd get some dancing. But I was amazed Suletta seemed to adjust to heels better than I expected.

It's not always easy meeting your future mother-in-law, especially when they're Prospera.

I hope Suletta eventually finds out the truth about Elan because I would like to think the more she had to deal with the "real" Elan the more she'd be able to tell the difference, but the real Elan will probably wash his hands of this as soon as possible.

I continue to despise Peil Technologies.

Fiance creating a start-up and crowdfunding at the spur of the moment is pretty impressive, especially retaking the identity of a maligned or cursed production like GUND-ARM, even if Miorine had to bow her head to her father to make it happen. It does make me wonder what went into Delling finally doing something for his daughter for once (respect? Control? Giving her a noose to hang herself with?).

I've seen a lot of people speculating that Nika sold info about the Aerial to Shaddiq's company so they could get the flight pack.

So will the new company hire Guel as a pilot?

Suletta finally realizes her mom is not the most honest person. It's funny we had a Gundam pilot who didn't even realize they were piloting a Gundam for 7 whole episodes.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:11 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
It does make me wonder what went into Delling finally doing something for his daughter for once (respect? Control? Giving her a noose to hang herself with?).

Profit. And being cornered by being publicly challenged.
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
It does make me wonder what went into Delling finally doing something for his daughter for once (respect? Control? Giving her a noose to hang herself with?).

Profit. And being cornered by being publicly challenged.

All of the above? Except the "respect" one. He's not the sort of creature that respects other people.

It's a new prison, and one at relatively minimal cost (800m or so will be pocket change I expect). This new venture locks her in, she can't pursue her silly dreams of running away to Earth. If she fails, she'll have to accept his demands, and he can simply disavow anything she did, and if she succeeds he gets to make a bunch of money and secure market dominance for the Benrit group. It's all up-side!

But only because he hasn't yet realised who Prospera really is. Probably.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:

I don't think anyone has realized who Prospera is because when we saw her mechanical arm everyone has been assuming she's Elnora but if you compare her head in the prolgue and Prospera's head in the show they have different shaped heads and when you take 21 years into account Prospera is more likely to be Eri.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:07 am Reply with quote
While I agree things mentioned can be used as evidence for the fan theory, it's still easy to explain away too. It wouldn't be unusual for an inventor/engineer/etc. to call their creation their child/son/daughter, especially if you consider something like an AI and the timeline issue(s?) can be explained with "some incident" that led to one or more characters being affected by severe time dilation during space travel.
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:16 am Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
Thesarum wrote:

I don't think anyone has realized who Prospera is because when we saw her mechanical arm everyone has been assuming she's Elnora but if you compare her head in the prolgue and Prospera's head in the show they have different shaped heads and when you take 21 years into account Prospera is more likely to be Eri.

Possibly. Though making Prospera about 9 years older than Suletta doesn't exactly resolve the timeline issues, unless Suletta is actually a lot younger than we think (which would explain some things) and just physically more developed (either artificially or as a result of living on Mercury). But that wouldn't be entirely consistent with the prequel short story.

Both stasis and cloning are options (I vaguely think something said about the spare Elan's implied they were in stasis?), as is time dilation as suggested by Covnam (though most space travel sci-fi ignores those effects for convenience, it'd be a pain in the ass to track it through everyone's travel arrangements). Or something else entirely (Prospera could be Dr Cardo's daughter for all we know). She's (almost) certainly connected to Vanadis, and that is the threat Delling hasn't fully recognised yet though.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
There's something utterly amusing for Miorine literally girlboss her way in creating her own business and get her daddy to fund some of it. And all this to protect Suletta! Laughing

I really hope Suletta reciprocates all this because Miorine is putting herself on the line for her. Of course first Suletta needs to get over that funk with that revelation at the of the episode.

On a side note, I think it's safe to say this has a high chance of getting an English dub, but what are the chances The Witch from Mercury will end up on Toonami? And how will the Toonami promo for this be like?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 43