• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump Magazine Launches 4 New Manga in Next 4 Weeks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:06 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:
And the excuses that they were sucked or bad are lame since they still had potential except for earth child which lost its movement like I tell c did which I don't mind that both were cancelled.
I repeat again - all of them have sucked both in ToC (which basically means how much traction the series get from the fan auditory that read the manga) and volume sales. They're not being in the middle of it, where all actual niche releases and series with potential remain, no - they're were all at the very bottom of the list straight from the first chapters.

So no, there was nearly zero ACTUAL potential with ALL of them - they got axed only because they actually not got their auditory hooked from the very beginning and barely had any chance to grow enough to be considered worthy of remaining.

Uraniox wrote:
Changing name into "Weekly Isekai Jump".
Ha-ha-ha, for the whole irony - Jump editorial committee has a strong policy against the isekai stories and never publishes them.

KarlFranz wrote:
That have to do more with the public generally are moving away from physical release and buy more digital version of those magazines. Almost all of the manga magazine have already began switching to digital, so the drop in physical sale is due to a portion of the readers moving to the digital platform since it's more convenient.
Well, the digital Jump sure grows, but the thing is even with numbers combined (and that is if we assume all the subscribers fully transitioned to digital and not buying physical volumes) - it's still very late 2010's numbers that very far from the prime, with fewer than 2 million active readers - and it still decreases faster than it brings more audience.

i know that jump is a business after all but what i meant that still there's some manga that had potential which wasn't fully utilized or wasn't ultized well.
kucinglaper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:40 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

blahmoomoo wrote:
Ruri Dragon also hasn't been replaced since it went on hiatus, and it seems likely that it will be put on SJ+ instead of returning to WSJ.

Why? Hunter x Hunter is still in WSJ.

You can't exactly use HxH as example, HxH is household name that will guarantee sales and high ranking just by existing. Ruri Dragon has neither prestige or numbers, so moving it to another magazine/SJ+ won't affect the magazine all that much. Especially considering WSJ's previous history with sickly mangaka like D.Gray-man or World Trigger that got moved to another magazine. Moving it to another magazine will also lessen the burden for the mangaka since weekly schedule is really harsh.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:01 am Reply with quote
kucinglaper wrote:

You can't exactly use HxH as example, HxH is household name that will guarantee sales and high ranking just by existing. Ruri Dragon has neither prestige or numbers, so moving it to another magazine/SJ+ won't affect the magazine all that much. Especially considering WSJ's previous history with sickly mangaka like D.Gray-man or World Trigger that got moved to another magazine. Moving it to another magazine will also lessen the burden for the mangaka since weekly schedule is really harsh.

Hunter x Hunter has ranked quite low the past two TOCs. In the current TOC its beneath mission yozakura. I'm not saying they're going to cancel it. It will probably bump up once some "goodwill" returns, but its return clearly hasn't been a massive event. Ruri Dragon was a hit, 140k in circulation for its first volume. That's what Jump wants, that's what every person who celebrates every cancellation, "it wasn't a hit within 1 volume so its justified, jump is a business after all" wants in the magazine, they want the hits in the magazine and the flops out of the magazine... So why does this not count for Ruri Dragon. I'm not saying I think it should or shouldn't move. I just find this post hypocritical. Ruri might not have prestige, but it clearly has "numbers", I don't understand why you would lie like that.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:12 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
Hunter x Hunter has ranked quite low the past two TOCs. In the current TOC its beneath mission yozakura. I'm not saying they're going to cancel it. It will probably bump up once some "goodwill" returns, but its return clearly hasn't been a massive event.
While I agree about Ruri has done enough numbers to be in a very comfort zone from being canceled, and its continuation now solely depends on the author's health - meanwhile HxH vol. 37 is selling like a hot cake being the second place right after One Piece vol. 105, way beyond Ruri numbers - so no, HxH return is still as massive as expected, and ToC place is barely relevant for Togashi at all.

If anything, Black Clover also doing very low in the ToC after its return from hiatus - but they sure not gonna try to axe it soon considering it's still a big hit for Shueisha that sells more volumes than the top ToC titles of WSJ like Sakamoto Days, and it's already on the finishing line. If the manga is established already, the Jump editorial committee barely tries to escalate it - which never applies to the new series.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:11 am Reply with quote
kucinglaper wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

blahmoomoo wrote:
Ruri Dragon also hasn't been replaced since it went on hiatus, and it seems likely that it will be put on SJ+ instead of returning to WSJ.

Why? Hunter x Hunter is still in WSJ.

What Ruri Dragon lacks in "prestige" it makes up for it in numbers. Ruri Dragon has been appearing in and out of the TOP 10 of the Oricon charts since it released and it's only one volume so far. No manga has done well as Ruri since MHA (or was it AssClass?).
CulturedTre

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I see both sides in this. It does suck to see a series cut that you see potential in. Yes I thought ayashimon could have picked up given time. But on the other side, it’s a business, and to let a floundering series continue to flounder doesn’t make business sense. So it’s a balancing act.

In the end, potential is like air-you need it, but if that’s ALL you have, you’re dead anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3